onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

These postponements are frustrating now but looking at the big picture it’s fantastic for Vale from a points perspective. By the time we get up and running again we may have long term injured players back, some deadwood shifted and Politic-standard players in to galvanise the team. We’ll look like the real, old Vale again unhampered by lots of issues. I think we’ll look back at the season and think it could have turned out so differently if we’d played these 5/6 games with bare bones and no strikers. Carol knows how close we are and what the squad is coping with at the moment, so there’s no way she’s going to be stingy at this stage, even with the recent loss in gate revenue. We are going up, we’re literally going to get promoted and I can’t wait.

8 hours ago, tisdeano said:

Carol believes in the academy route hence the investment to get us to the next academy status , the academy is very much part of both short and long term plans

I agree with Joe here, we’re slap bang in the catchment area of some very big, very well funded category 1 academies and we’ll never be able to go toe to toe with those clubs. We need to operate differently and be a lot cleverer.

Take Huddersfield for example, they actually downgraded from category 2 to 4 and now only take on kids in older age groups.

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

...I find it idealistic that we can compete in this region for good players...a

I'm 100% behind the Academy - and the only discussion of any merit will be between the owners and management team, as to whether it's a sustainable project? We can't just throw extra money at the first team in case there's a  salary / spending cap. The idea that we can't compete for the better young players could be false? Maybe younger players will see Vale doing the right things...improving on and off the pitch...and be tempted to sign with us as against competing with dozens of others with a bigger club? In any case, if the owners decide we can afford it, and they're prepared to finance it in the interim period, then I think it will just be another step to the Vale becoming a better and more professional club!

I agree with Joe here, we’re slap bang in the catchment area of some very big, very well funded category 1 academies and we’ll never be able to go toe to toe with those clubs. We need to operate differently and be a lot cleverer.
Take Huddersfield for example, they actually downgraded from category 2 to 4 and now only take on kids in older age groups.

I can see both sides , I was just saying the route the club is taking

7 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I'm 100% behind the Academy - and the only discussion of any merit will be between the owners and management team, as to whether it's a sustainable project? We can't just throw extra money at the first team in case there's a  salary / spending cap. The idea that we can't compete for the better young players could be false? Maybe younger players will see Vale doing the right things...improving on and off the pitch...and be tempted to sign with us as against competing with dozens of others with a bigger club? In any case, if the owners decide we can afford it, and they're prepared to finance it in the interim period, then I think it will just be another step to the Vale becoming a better and more professional club!

Yeah if Carol is committed to it then of course I want to succeed, but I think there's a debate to be had as to whether we try and achieve success using the same model as other clubs. There's a lot of 'that's the way it's always been done' in football.

The academy model is historic and has a lot of positives but not every club can have a great academy - some clubs need to be successful via other means, especially if we're starting 20-30 years and millions of pounds a year behind the rest.

For me without a development team of 18-21 year olds the academy is pretty pointless they just aren't ready at 18 to be playing league football and the ones who do will leave for a bigger club. We need to be hunting around the lower non league's for the young tallent that has fell through the cracks but has potential to develop. The problem is it will cost about a million a year and there's no funding unlike the 600k we get for the academy system which ultimately provides cheap players for the big boys as we have seen in the past

14 hours ago, capirex said:

Bolton appear to be pouring cold water on the availability of Eoin Doyle. Ian Evatt say's that rumours of his availablity are "speculation". Make of that what you will!

Ooh would be a statement of intent  but would he fit in with our dressing culture ?  Apparently he was the catalyst for their captain (can’t spell his name ) to decant to Stockport  

With Pádraig (Podge) Amond being rumoured I have gotten over excited and started doing a bit of research.

This is the thread on him from the Exeter forum.

In summary, they love him and are desperate for him to stay.

- quality finisher

- amazing attitude

- great with the younger players on the dressing room

Unfortunately it sounds like he is keen to stay there based on this and are even looking at a perm move with a coaching role.

Archived