onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

37 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Would do a job i guess but does he fit with the remit now? how old is he 32/33?

I was thinking g about that myself.

Unless the thinking is that to get a young, saleable striker that’s any good in Jan costs twice as much as usual. 

Given we are wanting to lock people into longer contracts in order to increase the chance of selling players, would we want to lock in at that higher price.

Therefore a 6 month loan for someone who doesn’t have long term aspirations but knows where the net is… would make sense.

Advert

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Well aware my view is in the minority and controversial.

I stand by that the discussion ought to be had as to whether investment in the academy at this point is best for us. I think there's an argument that it isn't, due to the way football is set up with EPPP and the disparity in wealth between us and the Category 1 academies. It's a Sisyphean task.

Ideally football is re-structured to incentivise clubs to build through the academies (I'd love us to have a good one), I just think the system is set up to reward Man City and to penalise Port Vale. I find it idealistic that we can compete in this region for good players and think a more certain ROI would be via boosting the first-team budget, achieve success, and then utilise our greater revenue + reputation to build the academy. Don't put the horse before the cart etc etc. The academy will benefit most by the first-teams success and the money and attention that brings.

As said, I know I am challenging on the most cherished notions in football so am quite happy to be disagreed with.

I can understand where you're coming from, I'm a bit on the fence personally.

I think we need to remember that just because a player doesn't get poached by Man City, he might still be a decent player for L2/L1 level.

But then I suppose if they're standing out at youth level, maybe someone from the Champ/L1 could still poach them!

On the other hand, why couldn't we go and poach players from youth teams below us? John Clarke (youth LB) was signed from Stockport Town and is playing well for us now - so maybe that's part of the plan.

I've been following the career of Luke Daley, who was a young left winger for our youth team that was poached by Huddersfield as a 16 year old. He's recently signed a pro deal until 2022 but I don't believe he's anywhere near the first team. They've moved him to left back too. He's 19 in January, but I often think if someone like that had stayed with us, maybe he'd be knocking on the door of the first team?

Carol's plan to create a pathway into the 1st team is a good one, as it will hopefully show young players they can create a career with us, rather than moving too early then ending up on the scrapheap.

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Well aware my view is in the minority and controversial.

I stand by that the discussion ought to be had as to whether investment in the academy at this point is best for us. I think there's an argument that it isn't, due to the way football is set up with EPPP.

It absolutely is the right thing to do NOW. Yes bigger clubs and academies get the pick of lads but a lot of players fall through the cracks as they all develop and different stages.A club like ours is only sustainable at a higher level by building a better academy, proving a pathway to the 1st team. 

Our academy has not had a lot of success in terms of 1st team debuts but there a lot of boys, before making youth level ,where we have been compensated for them to join another club. This happens a lot more than reported.

I understand it’s a rumour but if we turn out to be one of the two, then no disrespect intended but playing for Dublins 3rd biggest club in a ground with less than 3000 seats in a 10 team summer league vs promotion charges in the football league? I understand he might have pressing family reasons to want to back to Dublin permanently but at 33 I bet he’d also like a last EFL automatic promotion medal and bonus if he could withstand another 5 months in England. 

If we are actually in for him then well done Vale.

Pleasing to read Colin Garlick's words regarding the transfer window--it appears that plenty of preparation has been going on behind the scenes.  This is obviously good news and nothing less than I would expect under our much improved ownership philosophy and from David Flitcroft--this, after all, is what he's been brought in for and where he 'earns his keep' or otherwise, but it does sound reassuring that much 'homework' appears to have been done in preparation.  I look forward to the reveal of our new signings!

Archived