onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Indeed but losing our promotion momentum after years of dismal efforts seems a crazy risk. 

Guarantee Conlon would have required this in his contact for it to be signed. Nothing the club can do. No risk whatsoever as the club can’t exactly say no and then let him run his contact down and leave for free. 

Advert

I can't wait for Tom to be sold and certain elements to have a meltdown about the 'lack of ambition' and how 'nothing changes'.

The only way we were tying him down after last season was to say 'if a bigger club comes in and we get fair value, we won't stop you going'. Otherwise he walks on a free this past summer.

It will be a shame if he goes but I think he's been far less influential this season than last, and we finally have people at every level at the club who I trust to spend the money and for the betterment of Port Vale.

27 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Indeed but losing our promotion momentum after years of dismal efforts seems a crazy risk. 

If he has a release clause we have no choice.

If that’s what it took to get him signed up then so be it.

If the money is reinvested then that’s the model we want.

5 minutes ago, Warren said:

We have to try to Brentford our way of the league structure. Except they have closed their academy.

I'm all for shutting the academy, as controversial as that is. Keeping it open is for sentiment and isn't going to help us any time soon. 

It feels nice to have a Smith/Gibbons come through but there's so much competition in the area from the big North-West teams, along with Crewe, Stoke, Derby, and Forest, that we're about 10-12th on the list of clubs for promising players. We're so far behind.

Flitters wants to improve it but we're talking years, potentially a decade, before we can even begin to compete, and even then there's no guarantee we can compete for players against Crewe or Derby, let alone Man City or Liverpool.

Shut it down and reinvest in a B team with a proper coaching set up and scouting team, to sign players undervalued by bigger clubs on 2 year deals. Train them in the style of the first team and if one hits (like Hugill did) then it's worth it. Worst case, you have a steady reserve team. 

We aren't going to climb the leagues by doing the same as everyone else, as they'll just do the same but with more money. Do something different imo. The sentimental obsession with 'academies' is hurting clubs. Football has changed. 

The acid test is each summer. If there is no one good enough to be taken on then the academy is superbly training players for non league or amateur football at great expense. Also, as Brentford alluded to when closing their academy, what is actually happening is to falsely raise expectations of young players thereby creating life issues when they don't succeed as they expect. Brentford also pointed to the ethical issue, that many of these players were there to provide players to practice against in training rather than because they would ever get into the first team or first team squad. I guess the Vale ethos and framework may be significantly different but the challenge remains to prove the business case and the life skills case. 

Disagree Joe. 100% we should invest in the academy. It will help the club in the long run and if we are able to produce decent players, will pay for itself. Players have to come from somewhere. We miss out / lose players to top sides now, this will always be the case, but that Dosent mean that a player not poached by say city wouldn’t be good enough for league 1/2. There is lots of competition, there’s also lots of young players. 

Do as we’re doing with the signings and keep looking to the future, the club needs developing off the pitch as well as on. If it takes 10 years it takes 10 years. 

7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I’d be surprised if we’re not in for loft given our injuries. 50k for a player of his quality is a must, surely? 

RE Conlon, promotion or not if a championship side or large league 1 side like Sunderland came knocking I imagine he would want to move. There will be a release clause, just hope it’s something respectable as he’s a valuable player. The one positive for us, is that we are strong in that area. 

Completely agree.

Be amazed if we weren’t in for Loft, he seems exactly the type of striker we are crying out for.

Re Conlon, I believe it’s most likely be one of the ‘fallen giants’ trying to get back in the Championship. If a Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday or Ipswich etc came knocking, you’d be off and providing we get a sensible fee - and the words ‘release clause’ send shivers down my spine - then everyone’s a winner.

Manchester Evening News reporting that Eoin Doyle is likely to leave Bolton on a free in January. Seems like he may be going to St Patrick's Athletic in Ireland on a three year deal. Might be worth trying to persuade him to give it another couple of years in L2 before finishing his career in his home country. Certainly a proven scorer at our level.

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Disagree Joe. 100% we should invest in the academy. It will help the club in the long run and if we are able to produce decent players, will pay for itself. Players have to come from somewhere. We miss out / lose players to top sides now, this will always be the case, but that Dosent mean that a player not poached by say city wouldn’t be good enough for league 1/2. There is lots of competition, there’s also lots of young players. 

Do as we’re doing with the signings and keep looking to the future, the club needs developing off the pitch as well as on. If it takes 10 years it takes 10 years. 

I agree. The reason Brentford shut their academy is because they were able to take players who had failed at many of the London clubs in the area. Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham etc etc. The academy was a waste for them as there were plenty of players to be Picked from those who were very expensive. 

On 29/12/2021 at 17:54, geoff1 said:

macari knighted? not before sir john!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drink:

As much as I loathe Sjoke and Macari you can't deny the work he's done for Stoke's homeless has been very thoughtful and most welcome! I'd say he deserves this. Not quite as much as Rudgie, obviously - but don't begrudge the man!

14 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Well if TC was to leave at least we should get a decent price for him as he’s contracted until 2024. I think his immediate replacement should be Jake Taylor another player who is contracted to the club for a long time. 

I agree - but it wouldn't surprise me if he went that he could be loaned straight back to us to see the season out? It has been known!

Archived