onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Very interesting interview from Colin Garlick with the Sentinel. A big hint looking to move players on not currently playing including the summer signings despite room in the squad.

I'm thinking Benning will go, if we can find someone to take on his wages, extend Amos as a cheaper back up to spend money up front. I would be very surprised not see movement at the back with either Legge or Martin moving on. I'm leaning towards Legge rather than Martin. I think its noticeable how much praise Martin has had from both the players and staff the way he conducts himself and helps others around him when not playing. 

Could be a very exciting January and defining moment in the season.

Advert

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

No chance he will leave in Jan. We are in a promotion push. I just can’t see it. This is not the Smurfwaite era when anything will be flogged for a quick quid. 

There is a difference in selling him for a quick buck and purposefully locking him into a long contract to maximise his sale opportunity and then selling him for a significant fee which can be reinvested in the squad.

The whole point of the Pruhcess is to find players with good sell on capability in order to reinvest back into the squad.

Now, sell him and don’t reinvest and I agree it’s a bad move… but would you sell him for £750k and buy a quality striker, midfielder and centre half at £150k each… I would! 

Its also important to think about the messaging to other players. I can easily see a conversation with players that says “sign up now and if a big club comes in for you for the right price we won’t stand on your way”

Now if Gibbo is sitting there with a contract in front of him this Jan and we block Tom’s move when a good bid comes in… I can’t see him being impressed.

On the other hand if we can turn to Gibbo and say,”look what we did for Tom, he committed to us and we all ended up win win” then it would be a good message.

19 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

There is a difference in selling him for a quick buck and purposefully locking him into a long contract to maximise his sale opportunity and then selling him for a significant fee which can be reinvested in the squad.

The whole point of the Pruhcess is to find players with good sell on capability in order to reinvest back into the squad.

Now, sell him and don’t reinvest and I agree it’s a bad move… but would you sell him for £750k and buy a quality striker, midfielder and centre half at £150k each… I would! 

Its also important to think about the messaging to other players. I can easily see a conversation with players that says “sign up now and if a big club comes in for you for the right price we won’t stand on your way”

Now if Gibbo is sitting there with a contract in front of him this Jan and we block Tom’s move when a good bid comes in… I can’t see him being impressed.

On the other hand if we can turn to Gibbo and say,”look what we did for Tom, he committed to us and we all ended up win win” then it would be a good message.

If Conlon does have a release clause(which he might well have with him being able to go on a free when we signed him up) i doubt it will be anywhere near 750k

8 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

Totally agree but if a high end L1 club or lower end championship club comes knocking emoji2369.png

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass under any type of pressure. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.

Mind, I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it! But I'm sure even Tom himself, would agree and that one of his focus points, is to get better with his right foot. 

4 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.

Mind, I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it! But I'm sure even Tom himself, would agree and that one of his focus points, is to get better with his right foot. 

Always find it weird that left footed players get picked on for using their stronger foot, but nowt is said about right footers that nearly all do exactly the same. 

I’d be surprised if we’re not in for loft given our injuries. 50k for a player of his quality is a must, surely? 

RE Conlon, promotion or not if a championship side or large league 1 side like Sunderland came knocking I imagine he would want to move. There will be a release clause, just hope it’s something respectable as he’s a valuable player. The one positive for us, is that we are strong in that area. 

5 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Always find it weird that left footed players get picked on for using their stronger foot, but nowt is said about right footers that nearly all do exactly the same. 

I'm not picking on him, just sort of stating the obvious 🙃
And I'm left footed myself, if that matters at all, so I know all about how hard it is, to use your right foot! And statistically, it's harder for left footed players to learn to use their right foot, than the other way around. I don't know if that's just a myth, but I've heard that for 20 years, working at an academy 😊

But in Toms case, I think it's because he plays in such a significant role in our team, that he plays in the middle of the park and is sort of our 'playmaker'. So, at least to me, his pirouettes becomes more obvious and perhaps sometimes because it can take the momentum out of a counter attack, because it has to be on the right foot.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

No chance he will leave in Jan. We are in a promotion push. I just can’t see it. This is not the Smurfwaite era when anything will be flogged for a quick quid. 

I would certainly subscribe to your viewpoint and sincerely hope that we are right on this one.  It would definitely be counter-productive to lose him at this point in the season!

1 hour ago, Doha said:

On the basis of the length of his remaining contract and the pandemic making clubs reluctant to lose players, I’d be disappointed if any successful bid for Conlon didn’t add up to at least £1m if I’m honest. 

I think he’ll be playing for us in league one next season however. 

Doha, I totally agree, it would be nice to get promoted.My thoughts on TC leaving, were that it would be in the summer, definitely not in January. 

Can't see a Championship club coming in for him. He's too one footed for that. He struggles to make a pass over 5 feet, with the inside of his right foot, and he always, as in always dribbles with his left foot. Just look at all the pirouettes he ends up making, when he's looking for a pass under any type of pressure. He HAS to have it on his left foot, because he knows his right foot is too weak.

You may be surprised

Archived