onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

7 minutes ago, jeffers said:

What’s your problem. I only mentioned Tshimanga because of his pre-season links, I’m not his agent. Don’t suppose his hat trick counts any more than James Wilson’s does at the end of the season. I suggest you get some chill-out pills.

I'm chilled and have no problem whatsoever. Not sure why you'd think otherwise tbh. My response was more to do with onestepatatime's "don't know what hobblesworth means" rather than anything you said.

Advert

2 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

If you look at the top 5 scorers from the last 5 seasons of the National League, only about 3 or 4 have made the step up. The general standard of the league may have improved but there's still dreck in there, and if you're getting your stats boosted by a hattrick against Weymouth then the 17 in 17 thing should maybe be taken with a pinch of salt.

I’d tend to agree with this.  Many players down the leagues, not just strikers, have one or two red hot seasons in terms of scoring goals.  The more consistent, certainly if young prospects, tend to find themselves playing higher up the leagues quite quickly but in the end most will find their true level and some maybe have to drop back down.

If Conlon hits the net with the same regularity as last season then he’ll be gone, no question.

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Fabio Tavares getting good reviews at Coventry reserves. 13 in 11. Top scorer in the PDL2. I imagine the Matrix has him well identified for January. 

I know that Lloyd is a busy player but it does make me wonder why we didn't take a little gamble and loaning a championship/Premier young striker,so not sure if we will head down that route in January,my guess is he will want a bit more proven player to fill in for the injured strikers

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’d tend to agree with this.  Many players down the leagues, not just strikers, have one or two red hot seasons in terms of scoring goals.  The more consistent, certainly if young prospects, tend to find themselves playing higher up the leagues quite quickly but in the end most will find their true level and some maybe have to drop back down.

If Conlon hits the net with the same regularity as last season then he’ll be gone, no question.

We have a few players who are being watched weekly at the moment

11 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I know that Lloyd is a busy player but it does make me wonder why we didn't take a little gamble and loaning a championship/Premier young striker,so not sure if we will head down that route in January,my guess is he will want a bit more proven player to fill in for the injured strikers

I think it was a case of three strikers being in front of him (we expected big things from Rodney), and Cat 1 academies aren't going to loan out their best and brightest to not play, considering they can do that at their parent club with better facilities/coaching.

Lloyd made sense; he started 18 games last season for the League 2 Champions, wouldn't demand lots of playing time, and offered something different from the other three strikers. I think he's too weak but he's not had a proper run of games due to Proctor and Wilson's form.

Problem with January is there isn't a great deal of movement bar a) awful strikers who clubs will literally offload at any cost (see Kurtis Guthrie) or b) young lads. Clubs aren't going to let go of good strikers mid-season when they're under contract.

That's why I think Flitters has emphasised the recruitment team working on reserve games a lot since August; that's where the value is in January. 

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think it was a case of three strikers being in front of him (we expected big things from Rodney), and Cat 1 academies aren't going to loan out their best and brightest to not play, considering they can do that at their parent club with better facilities/coaching.

Lloyd made sense; he started 18 games last season for the League 2 Champions, wouldn't demand lots of playing time, and offered something different from the other three strikers. I think he's too weak but he's not had a proper run of games due to Proctor and Wilson's form.

Problem with January is there isn't a great deal of movement bar a) awful strikers who clubs will literally offload at any cost (see Kurtis Guthrie) or b) young lads. Clubs aren't going to let go of good strikers mid-season when they're under contract.

That's why I think Flitters has emphasised the recruitment team working on reserve games a lot since August; that's where the value is in January. 

Maybe worth giving a young striker a go to prove himself and a midlands based one would make sense

26 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I'm chilled and have no problem whatsoever. Not sure why you'd think otherwise tbh. My response was more to do with onestepatatime's "don't know what hobblesworth means" rather than anything you said.

Cheers! Understand your reasoning but I still feel "top goalscorers" in National League deserve respect and consideration by Division 2 Clubs. The biggest problem as we all know is the amount of wonga some Clubs are prepared to gamble.  Vale appear to have stated their limit and maybe this will restrict our hope's of a regular go getter. Who knows?

The ideal striker to sign now or in January is someone with a track record of playing and scoring in Lge's 1  and 2 who's capable of playing in Lge 1 next season. It's assumed that Proctor and Wilson will return and be fit for the rest of the season but this may not be the case. We have scored goals from all parts of the team but it's generally when Proctor and/or Wilson have been playing.

It's a big ask to find and find the money to finance such a player but if there ever was a time to push the boat out/be creative now is that time. There must be one or two quality Lge 1 goal scorers not getting a game for whatever reason who we could tempt with the real prospect of Lge 1 football next year, Vale only need one.

Personally, if a player we're looking to bring in is more interested in what he can get, rather than the very real prospect of L1 football next season, then I'd rather not have him. We've had enough overpaid dross with an unrealistic perception of their own abilities over the past few years. Not saying players should ignore the finances, of course, given their short careers, but if that's their primary motivation then no thanks.

8 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Personally, if a player we're looking to bring in is more interested in what he can get, rather than the very real prospect of L1 football next season, then I'd rather not have him. We've had enough overpaid dross with an unrealistic perception of their own abilities over the past few years.

We wont sign a player who isn't here to buy into what DC and DF want

13 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

The ideal striker to sign now or in January is someone with a track record of playing and scoring in Lge's 1  and 2 who's capable of playing in Lge 1 next season. It's assumed that Proctor and Wilson will return and be fit for the rest of the season but this may not be the case. We have scored goals from all parts of the team but it's generally when Proctor and/or Wilson have been playing.

It's a big ask to find and find the money to finance such a player but if there ever was a time to push the boat out/be creative now is that time. There must be one or two quality Lge 1 goal scorers not getting a game for whatever reason who we could tempt with the real prospect of Lge 1 football next year, Vale only need one.

Not a moan just a question but who would you think will be available who has a proven record of scoring in Leagues One and Two? I do think we will bring at least one player who has a bit of experience but we have to think that we are a club that wants to bring players in to nurture and then hopefully sell on to help us progress

I think a big problem loaning players from higher up the pyramid is that they have high wages and you have to pay them if you don't play them. It is fine if they are good enough but as we see from playing the u21s in the cup they tend to be very raw and might not warrant a place in the team.

Archived