onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

2 hours ago, vog said:

Let's be honest, in the league this season we have conceded 19 goals. 10 of those came in 3 games (Rochdale, Sutton and Oldham) Taking out the lapses, we have conceded 11 in 14...

Without checking I’d guess 19 isn’t a terrible figure but it’s obvious that the top sides won’t be letting 3’s and 4’s in too often.

We’re going to give chances away because we’re set up to attack.  The second half performance going forward was outstanding so we could probably forget about the defending and talk about missed chances and a bit of bad luck that end of the pitch with a goal bound shot or two being deflected.

Advert

4 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

To suggest we’re third in the league after this many games on the back of being defensively poor is utter tripe.  Think about it, it defies logic.

We were defensively poor against bog-standard non-league balls into the area at Sutton and Oldham. Both matches ended in late losses - a six point differential that would currently see us top. What's so hard to understand?

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

Defensive collapses as a 'direct result' of signing Martin and Johnson is a real leap in causality, I must say. 

I understand you'll defend the process to the hilt. I'll also be massively disappointed if we fail to at least make the top 7 with the squad that's been assembled, the quality of the management team and based on performances so far this season. However, at this point it's verging on the ridiculous to argue that the signings of Ryan Johnson, Aaron Martin and Mal Benning are anything other than disappointing and the lack of a commanding CB who can 'head and kick it' is the missing part to an otherwise excellent squad for this level. We shouldn't be relying on the fitness of a 36-year-old Leon Legge to perform this role. That's a failure of recruitment in this area.

The post match interview from DC was exactly the sort of attitude we need at Vale. None of this pandering and hand-wringing, DC pissed off because we lost when we should have won, and that’s the fire that burns the next up not doubting ourselves. We have the team to beat everyone in this league, even with injuries. Had some good chances on Saturday and scored two decent, well-worked goals. Behind closed doors DC will be motivating the players into a frenzy, regardless of saying he doesn’t care to the media. A guy with that much passion circled the <ovf censored> that held him back the moment the fixtures come out. They’ve lost convincingly to two teams at home that we’ve beaten away from home just as easily; the gulf is there, we just need to play our game. Their only chance is to turn it into a war, but we have the footballers to take control and stay in control. Come on Vale, this can be a huge catalyst, let’s leave the Gilted and the Mornflake Mafia to battle it out in the sewers as we plot our way back to the invade the Incinerator.

45 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

We were defensively poor against bog-standard non-league balls into the area at Sutton and Oldham. Both matches ended in late losses - a six point differential that would currently see us top. What's so hard to understand?

Ah yes, apologies, I had completely forgotten that they were only two games where we had to defend balls into our box.  Thankfully the likes of Swindon, FGR, Tranmere and Co. kindly decided not to cross the ball when we played them.  It’s all clear now. Thanks.

Everyone needs to calm down about Martin.

I was at Oldham, he wasn't great, however he will need time to settle in and get match sharp.

Can everyone remember Brisley coming back into the team, he was initially dire and derived, but after a couple of matches was up and running, kept Smith out of the team and everyone was gutted when he got injured.

Martin is not a bad player, just needs time...

I wish everyone would just calm down and trust Dazzler.

3 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I can't figure out why teams often hit long hopeful balls into the box when behind late in games when they are so easy to defend.

I cant figure it out if a defence has contributed to a winning margin, that defenders are substituted other than for injury. If a team is behind it is worthwhile lobbing balls into the box and hoping for a lucky break during the closing stages. Keep the ball up the field it is much safer up there.

We’ve got irons in the fire for January.

Clarke: ”We are already on it. I have an unbelievable director of football, Flickers (David Flitcroft). We are ahead of recruitment. I know now what business I want to be doing. That is what this club should look like in my opinion, having one or two things that in every window needs to be freshened up. Certainly with one or two injuries in the front line, you look at, that needs to be freshened up. We are working hard. We have Tommy (Johnson) head of recruitment. He is a top man at his work. This is fair play to the owners yet again, backing this to keep building that profile so you are not making those last minute phone calls to try to get deals done. We are working hard to make sure the tweaks that need to be made in the window, in the next six weeks, we are ready for it.”

Sounds promising.

Archived