onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

And you think Martin is the 2nd worse. I’ll have whatever you’ve been on 

you could not take the medication i'm on after watching the vale for that long but i leave you with a prediction if Martin is in the middle of the back 3 for a majority of matches left we will not get out of this league just hope Smith does not pick up a bad injury.

5 hours ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:
Joe, I agree with what you say about JG but if we’re going to play James in a more attacking role, should we be looking at getting a new right back.?

What's the point when we don't play with a right back?

Phil, it would give us an option should we need to play four across the back. We do have players that can play in that position but for me they’re Jack of all trades. Perhaps we should concentrate on being more defensive even if it only brings ugly victories. Hopefully it would prevent the opposition from crossing the ball into our area which at the moment is a concern and it undermines all the teams good work and hard work.No one at Boundary Park on Saturday that Oldham won.

Got hammered last week for suggesting our defensive recruitment wasn't good enough. Particularly for daring to question the performances of Martin. We've now thrown away 6 points combined from the Sutton and Oldham defensive collapses that come as a direct result of signing two (Martin and Johnson) 'commanding' centre backs who are not good enough. In other words, the difference between us being top instead of where we are (still a fabulous and well earned position at this stage).

This will be my last post on the subject. A priority signing for me in January would be a commanding centre half to cover for any absence of Smith and/or Legge. What's Darren Purse upto? I really hope that in the meantime Martin puts in a few decent performances that make him adequate for that role. I also really hope that teams haven't noticed our weakness.

6 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

Got hammered last week for suggesting our defensive recruitment wasn't good enough. Particularly for daring to question the performances of Martin. We've now thrown away 6 points combined from the Sutton and Oldham defensive collapses that come as a direct result of signing two (Martin and Johnson) 'commanding' centre backs who are not good enough. In other words, the difference between us being top instead of where we are (still a fabulous and well earned position at this stage).

This will be my last post on the subject. A priority signing for me in January would be a commanding centre half to cover for any absence of Smith and/or Legge. What's Darren Purse upto? I really hope that in the meantime Martin puts in a few decent performances that make him adequate for that role. I also really hope that teams haven't noticed our weakness.

You’ve forgotten Rochdale 

Not sure why folk are down on Martin individually.  We possibly have a bit too much “culture” in a back 3 of Cass, Martin and Jones, so Smith is a good contrast to that.  We’ve bought Legge on to add his height and power in the air but it didn’t work.

Maybe we were a bit unlucky with third goal having watched it back a few times but panic has set in.  Martin was certainly unlucky with the o.g. as he’s just reacting and once any player is defending that situation when facing their own goal it’s all too easy to find the net rather than safety.

The first and second goals are preventable.  The first, our players switch off, the second, possibly our player flicks the ball on then we manage to completely misjudge what is effectively a free header to clear the ball.

17 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

To suggest we’re third in the league after this many games on the back of being defensively poor is utter tripe.  Think about it, it defies logic.

52 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Those who saw FGR away can appreciate Martin isn't awful at all. He was magnificent that day as was the whole team.

Was he great at Oldham, no he certainly wasn't but there's a massive over reaction and scapegoating of the bloke. As mentioned by my good self and others we have not won a single game yet when Legge has taken part . I'm not castigating Legge for that it's just an unusual occurrence . But get off Martin's back. 

I anticipate he'll make way tomorrow for Smith but will definitely be playing his part during the rest of the season. 

Despite the calamitous collapse I applauded them off Saturday, as expected a few boos as there were against Bradford. Standard fair sadly . 

I agree, even our most highly regarded and consistent defenders are dog at defending crosses, which is annoying. Would I swap any for any other defenders available? No. Are Martin and all the others top quality for this division? Yes.

18 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

To suggest we’re third in the league after this many games on the back of being defensively poor is utter tripe.  Think about it, it defies logic.

Let's be honest, in the league this season we have conceded 19 goals. 10 of those came in 3 games (Rochdale, Sutton and Oldham) Taking out the lapses, we have conceded 11 in 14...

For all the carping about defensive weaknesses, at the rate we've conceded so far we'll end up conceding 51 goals this season, 1 more Bolton (3rd) and 2 more than Cambridge (2nd) conceded last season. 

We're on track to score 81, which is 8 more than anyone else from last season and 20, 8, and 22 more than the top three of last season.

100% sure I read the exact same comments post-Sutton before we went on a 9 game unbeaten streak. 

I find it interesting, after a rare loss, how long winding individualising miserable posts, and ruthless player ratings, seem to end up being posted on here and social media pretty much bang on the final whistle on iFollow which has a short delay after real time.

Almost as if people are poised, index finger on the mouse left click button, waiting for the signal to unleash their tornadoes of <ovf censored>, regardless of what actually happens in the final minutes of the game, or the circumstances of the loss.

Definite pattern to it. Embarrassing really. Then again a lot of these characters in that Facebook group would get arsy about people mocking their pre season “they’ve tricked carol!!!” hysterics a few weeks ago when we couldn’t stop scoring and winning instead of holding their hand up and admitting they got it wrong. 

Archived