onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

On 08/10/2021 at 16:33, Playa Amodores said:

I think I’d be tempted to sell Devante in January if any club comes in for him. He’s reported as being a saleable asset and with Wilson/Proctor being first choice, I’d put Amoo above Devante. I know this will leave us with only three forwards but I think Taylor or Politic could fill the fourth striker role, until the end of the season. Hopefully by then we’d be promoted. This is not an anti Devante post because I have only positive things to say about him for what he did for us last season and I will not forget those dark times, which he pulled us through.
My thoughts may be a bit radical for some, but any alternative opinions would be great to hear. 

He was hit and miss last season, but definitely showed promise. So far this season he's been a disaster. There could be various reasons for that, but what he's currently producing isn't anywhere near good enough for any side wanting out of this league. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. He's not a kid learning the game.

Advert

1 hour ago, robf said:

Yep, I think Leon will start against Walsall too 😉

Not sure I agree, Smith has to come back in, I felt a bag of nerves when Leon came on, stupid free kick that he gave away for their winning goal.  If we bring Legge in as well as Smith, we have to ditch our 3 at the back, Smith can't play on the right or left of a back 3.

7 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Not sure I agree, Smith has to come back in, I felt a bag of nerves when Leon came on, stupid free kick that he gave away for their winning goal.  If we bring Legge in as well as Smith, we have to ditch our 3 at the back, Smith can't play on the right or left of a back 3.

I wouldn't play Legge in place of Smith, I'd play Legge, Jones and Smith.

I like Cass and he's got a lot of potential but I felt two of the goals came from him not clearing when the ball came in his zone (I may be wrong on that but that's what I felt at the time). 

Smith has played RB before so I can't see why he can't play on the right of Leon in a back three. 

1 minute ago, robf said:

I wouldn't play Legge in place of Smith, I'd play Legge, Jones and Smith.

I like Cass and he's got a lot of potential but I felt two of the goals came from him not clearing when the ball came in his zone (I may be wrong on that but that's what I felt at the time). 

Smith has played RB before so I can't see why he can't play on the right of Leon in a back three. 

For me Legge and Smith just doesn't work in a 3.  We were a shambles at Mansfield when Smith was asked to play in that position, when you play 3 at the back your right sided and left sided players need to be comfortable on the ball and with Smith you don't have that.  I might be on my own but I thought Cass was decent and the kind of player I would love to see try and get on a permanent deal.  The problem was giving away 2 stupid free kicks.  If you bring on Legge you have to see that game out.

10 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

For me Legge and Smith just doesn't work in a 3.  We were a shambles at Mansfield when Smith was asked to play in that position, when you play 3 at the back your right sided and left sided players need to be comfortable on the ball and with Smith you don't have that.  I might be on my own but I thought Cass was decent and the kind of player I would love to see try and get on a permanent deal.  The problem was giving away 2 stupid free kicks.  If you bring on Legge you have to see that game out.

I think we're on quite opposing views here but to clarify... I am not writing off Cass' career on (what I thought) one poor second-half defensively. I'd love him to sign for us and with 20 more games under his belt he could be brilliant. However, he is young and inexperienced and those sorts of players do occasionally have off games. I felt this was one of them but his overall potential is huge. But just because you have potential doesn't mean you sometimes need to be rested. 

I'm just thinking for the short term, it may be worth playing both of our "defensive" defenders in Legge and Smith to try and bring a bit of resilience to the back. That may be at the expense of playing out from the back but there's always a compromise when you make changes. 

Mansfield was a shambles but again, that's judging on just one game. I think Smith can play at the right of a three and maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm not sure saying whether he can or can't on the evidence of that one away game is that fair. 

I guess it's all for the manager to decide anyway - after all, Cass may play and have a blinder on Tuesday. 😉

When the players go out for training on monday the back 3 or 4 should be made to stand in front of the Sproson statue for 30 minutes to study how to head a ball when you are defending.I thought i would never see a worse centre back than Bob Delgardo playing for the vale again by how wrong can someone be.I have seen Martin against both Rochdale and Oldham and not seen him head a ball out of our box once for somebody 6' 5 he is one liability.We dominated Oldham for most of the match and got nothing for it how on earth Gibbons finished on the losing side is a travesty.Can someone explain why Politic gets only about 10 minutes on the pitch can someone explain to me how a pro footballer comes out for 15 minutes to go through the drills to warm up goes back in the dressing room for the last team talk then walks out then stops and changes his boots what is that about its like a batsmen who gets to the middle and forgets his bat.Now sort this out so we can get out of this awful division.

Sad to say ,Martin has played 5 league games for us . W1 D1 L3 with him starting. Northampton Rochdale Forest Green Mansfield andOldham .Not been too impressed with him ,or Johnson so far this season 
Rose tinted glasses? We haven't won any with Legge in the league side this season

26 minutes ago, aspin for england said:

Sad to say ,Martin has played 5 league games for us . W1 D1 L3 with him starting. Northampton Rochdale Forest Green Mansfield andOldham .Not been too impressed with him ,or Johnson so far this season 

Legge W 0 D 3 L 1 

You can't single Martin out without a compare and contrast. 

53 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Legge W 0 D 3 L 1 

You can't single Martin out without a compare and contrast. 

Completely agree, 2 goals scored in those 4 games as well.  I know Legge is a defender and not his job to be scoring but we look far better better when in possession when he is not in the team and for me Cass and Jones are the 2 of the reasons why on the whole we keep the better, build up play, go through midfield and not panicking and launching it long.  We have our 2 main forwards both out injured, if you play Smith and Legge in a 2, think they will end up panicking and taking the easy option and we will end up giving the ball away all the time. 

I don’t think it’s fair to have players on the bench, suddenly get an injury, ask them to go and play to the best of their ability and then sit down again when players are back. If Martin was playing every single game he would be getting better and better. A lot of mistakes have been made due to positioning and that comes with playing alongside players week after week.

Whatever defenders play, we are conceding goals from set pieces, crosses and second phase play, a lot of time along the bloody grass. That’s not acceptable and the whole team collectively needs to be better at defending the basics, including the midfield who get back to ‘help’.

Gibbo needs a new contract. He is our best player and also our most valuable asset. He is the modern fullback/wing-back. Aggressive, rapid, energetic, good defensively, superb crosser, dangerous in the box. Clarke talks up his attitude. Has stuff you can't coach. 

Getting him in space is key to what we do. If we don't sign him up prior to January, big clubs will signal their intentions and we may be left in a position where we either sell in Jan or risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Gibbons walks into League 1 sides and, with coaching on his passing, I think could have a crack at the Championship in 1-2 years. 

There will be a lot of clever clubs looking at a 23 yo with his skillset, showing rapid improvement and with lots of room to improve further. 2-3 year contract needed so that, if he play higher, we profit. Absolute number 1 priority at present. 

Archived