onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sir John Rudge

robf

I'm very proud of OVF over the years. Over that time it's been controversial and criticised at times, but I do think it's made a valuable contribution, especially when it comes to remembering and assessing Port Vale's history. It's also allowed me, a mere Vale fan, to speak to many of my heroes (Andy Jones, Darren Hughes, Steve Guppy and the amazing Ray King spring to mind). However, I think today ranks as one of the highlights in the site's 25 odd years of existence.

Back around 2001 or so I wrote a piece on John Rudge and what he meant to me. It was just after the Rudge Tribute Dinner and it's here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2012/01/vales-finest-manager-john-rudge/

It's not the greatest piece I've ever written but it's from the heart and I meant every word of it. However, little did I think that many years later, the subject of my piece, John Rudge himself, would read it and then call me to thank me for it. 

Apparently, one of his daughters spotted it after the EFL award coverage on OVF linked to it, printed it out and handed it to him. Phil Sherwin very kindly passed on my number and Rudgie then called me to thank me. We spent 15-20 minutes on the phone chatting, reminiscing on his time at Vale and he was full of praise for the OVF site. I also found out that he's watched some of the full match videos that I'd shown earlier this year and enjoyed watching some of his most famous games again :clap:

For the club's greatest manager to take time out on a Saturday to speak to me, one Vale fan, makes me feel very humble and honoured. One thing I was very happy to do was to say was to thank him as a fan for the pleasure his sides gave me and to congratulate him on his award. 

It's been a tricky 24 hours in the Fielding household due to an unexpected hospital admission, so this call really brightened up my weekend.

It's something I never expected but it's a moment this one Vale fan will certainly treasure...

:upthevale:

Advert

This is so lovely to read. 'Legend' is a massively overused word these days, but for Sir John it is most certainly apt.

So glad you got this richly deserved chance to speak to the man himself, and hope all well again in the Fielding house soon.

I caught up with the Jon McCarthy interview on the Ale & The Vale Pod yesterday and I was struck by something similar. All the ex player interviews have been really heartening to listen to and you realise how special those times were for everyone concerned. Even the players who you'd forgive for being more detached and professional about it.

Rob; OVF is a crucial part of being a Vale fan.

It was fundamental in gathering support in both protests, and over the last year has been a vital way of staying connected with the club/fans when it has been very tempting and easy to disengage.

The work you do in chronicling our history is excellent, and I'm glad Rudgey appreciates.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

It was fundamental in gathering support in both protests, and over the last year has been a vital way of staying connected with the club/fans when it has been very tempting and easy to disengage.

The work you do in chronicling our history is excellent, and I'm glad Rudgey appreciates.

Indeed, Gorm was scared of this forum, because it held power he couldn’t. Hence PENNY BLACK and covert PMs to people trying to get them onside with insider knowledge. OVF was crucial in distributing and informing of the chaotic details of his disastrous ownership. Lot harder to pressure him out without it. 

45 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Totally agree with this.

Rob, the OVF site is really important to some Valiants, especially those not local to Burslem and don't get the Sentinel or any other media reports about the Vale.

I'm certain I speak for all who post on here- a massive thanks to you and others who take their time and effort to allow OVF to continue. Rudgey is one of us, he too appreciates all the work.

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

Indeed, Gorm was scared of this forum, because it held power he couldn’t. Hence PENNY BLACK and covert PMs to people trying to get them onside with insider knowledge. OVF was crucial in distributing and informing of the chaotic details of his disastrous ownership. Lot harder to pressure him out without it. 

Part of me misses logging in and seeing what that lunatic was up to. Was superb entertainment if you ignored the wanton destruction of PVFC. 

39 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Part of me misses logging in and seeing what that lunatic was up to. Was superb entertainment if you ignored the wanton destruction of PVFC. 

I often think of his encounter with your Dad in the Gents at Vale.  "How's your little protest going?"  Well you know now, Norm!

Rudgie is a hero.  On the morning after he won the award his missus rang us to say how chuffed he was and how she was upset we weren't there to see it.  Just for info, she's missed her many trips to M&S during lockdown!!

Ovf is the global signpost and crossroads to and from all things Port Vale. Its Forum is a smorgasbord rich in past and present and contains contributions from a world wide, broad church family - all thanks to a lad from Caverswall.

p.s. Rob, sincerely hopimg all is well on the home frunt.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I often think of his encounter with your Dad in the Gents at Vale.  "How's your little protest going?"  Well you know now, Norm!

Rudgie is a hero.  On the morning after he won the award his missus rang us to say how chuffed he was and how she was upset we weren't there to see it.  Just for info, she's missed her many trips to M&S during lockdown!!

Hello

You write as if lm the beaten man

The protests were a godsend for all

Carol got the Club 

l made just short of 3M profit

Good business for us all

l and Club in a much better place

17 minutes ago, SMURF said:

Hello

Carol got the Club 

Good business for us all

3 million well done hope your kids spend it wisely 

is money worth been hated by thousands of people 

I really hope I don’t bump into u out and about somewhere 👍 

50 minutes ago, SMURF said:

Hello

Carol got the Club 

Good business for us all

Glad to see you’re still taking an interest. 
Glad to see you accept what we all knew - you were a rubbish owner. 
Glad to see you admit you were only in it to scam money out of the club and had no affection for it at all. 
Most of all, glad you’ll never darken our doors again - you are a prime example of the sort of owners who bring shame on English football with their money grabbing ways. 

Archived