Is it April fools Day ?

Advert:

Email to the EFL.
Sir, I would like some explanation as to why Gary Bowyer, manager of a team which dropped seven points during the month, including a home defeat, has been awarded League Two Manager of the Month for April.  The record of Port Vale's Darrell Clarke, whose team dropped only two points and conceded only one goal in their six games, is clearly superior.  The fact that Salford played two more games to get one more point than Vale should not make their record worthy of the award. 

I would be interested to know the criteria used to establish the winner of this award.  If it is simply the number of points obtained irrespective of the number of games played, I would politely suggest that your criteria are ridiculous and should be reviewed in the light of such an anomaly.  Also, why do you need a panel of “experts” to decide on the award if you are simply going to give the prize on the basis of points obtained rather than any analysis of other factors such as number of games played or the position and form of the team prior to the start of the month?  You will recall that the final positions in League Two last season were established on the basis of points-per-game.  Using that principle, Clarke’s record during April is clearly superior to Bowyer’s – 2.67 points per game against 2.13.  I find it hard to understand why points-per-game is acceptable one minute but not the next.

Clarke has produced a miraculous turn around at Port Vale in April, his record in the month being part of a run of eight wins from nine games which took the club from relegation strugglers to the top half of the table.  It included April wins against promotion chasing Exeter and Morecambe in contrast to Salford’s inability to win a home game against soon to be relegated Grimsby.   In this case, Salford and Bowyer have benefitted from having games postponed earlier in the season and needing to catch up in April. 

To any fan with a modicum of common sense the April League Two trophy has been awarded erroneously and the Football League should consider how it comes to its decisions in future.  Just because Salford City FC is a club with a high profile in the media this should not make any difference to a fair analysis of its performance.

I await your response with interest.

Excellent post Jacko..
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

13 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Email to the EFL.

Sir, I would like some explanation as to why Gary Bowyer, manager of a team which dropped seven points during the month, including a home defeat, has been awarded League Two Manager of the Month for April.  The record of Port Vale's Darrell Clarke, whose team dropped only two points and conceded only one goal in their six games, is clearly superior.  The fact that Salford played two more games to get one more point than Vale should not make their record worthy of the award. 

I would be interested to know the criteria used to establish the winner of this award.  If it is simply the number of points obtained irrespective of the number of games played, I would politely suggest that your criteria are ridiculous and should be reviewed in the light of such an anomaly.  Also, why do you need a panel of “experts” to decide on the award if you are simply going to give the prize on the basis of points obtained rather than any analysis of other factors such as number of games played or the position and form of the team prior to the start of the month?  You will recall that the final positions in League Two last season were established on the basis of points-per-game.  Using that principle, Clarke’s record during April is clearly superior to Bowyer’s – 2.67 points per game against 2.13.  I find it hard to understand why points-per-game is acceptable one minute but not the next.

Clarke has produced a miraculous turn around at Port Vale in April, his record in the month being part of a run of eight wins from nine games which took the club from relegation strugglers to the top half of the table.  It included April wins against promotion chasing Exeter and Morecambe in contrast to Salford’s inability to win a home game against soon to be relegated Grimsby.   In this case, Salford and Bowyer have benefitted from having games postponed earlier in the season and needing to catch up in April. 

To any fan with a modicum of common sense the April League Two trophy has been awarded erroneously and the Football League should consider how it comes to its decisions in future.  Just because Salford City FC is a club with a high profile in the media this should not make any difference to a fair analysis of its performance.

I await your response with interest.

I sent them an email a couple of years ago when I think it was Page who should have won. Their response was laughable. 

Advert:

1 hour ago, DaneValiant said:

Somebody coined the phrase "Salford w.nkfest" on Salford City's Twitter post about Bowyer's award. I could not have found a better description for all the fawning over Salford myself

It would be a great name for a band. 

• Like 1

Advert:

Maybe they’ll say we had a vibe he would come unstuck at the steamrolling Grimsby. They’re such footballing experts that they know results before they come in.

1 hour ago, krakaddict said:

1 minute ago, Aguar61 said:

Sounds like one of Mark E. Smiths phrases

1 hour ago, krakaddict said: