onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players released from other clubs

Iron Curtain

27 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

The likes of Brown, Legge,Montano and Worrall all came from Southern Clubs, ended up as great servants to the club. Conversely Martin Paterson was as local as you can get, having been raised local but was dreadful. 

They came from Southern clubs but some of their roots were relatively local. Brown left Wycombe to move back to Wolverhampton. Worrall is from Manchester. 

I think the answer is somewhere between the two views.

You don't have to just target local players and just because you're from another part of the country doesn't mean you won't settle. If a player has local roots and will fit the team then that may be an advantage in persuading them to sign but it's not essential. In the past I think there was some local players brought in who weren't good enough and seemed to be signed for geographical ease.

In essence, the management team will surely be doing checks on the players wherever they are based - finding out if they have settled, stable off-the-pitch lives (i.e. we don't want another Ricky Miller scenario) and whether they would be committed to move to the area (i.e. we don't want another Mark Marshall commuting up all the time).

If they do that then where they live won't be an issue. I think there always will be a slight bias in NW/Midlands based players just purely because some players based elsewhere may be more reluctant to move from their area but like all things, it's their commitment to the club, the side and their ability which counts more than where they are based.

Advert

Length of contract no doubt comes into play also.  If they are seen as key players for the spine of the team with the ability to play in the league above as well then a 2-3 year deal could see an expanded pool of targets, but should include a condition to relocate within a sensible travelling distance

8 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Allison 

Trent Van dijk Gomez Robertson

Thiago Wijnaldum Fabinho 

Mane Salah Firmino 

Well one out of 11 isn't bad Jürgen 

You conveniently forget to include Curtis Jones who is in the Liverpool 1st team squad who was born in Liverpool and there are likely other local lads on the fringe of the 1st team squad who will train/mix with them.

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

You conveniently forget to include Curtis Jones who is in the Liverpool 1st team squad who was born in Liverpool and there are likely other local lads on the fringe of the 1st team squad who will train/mix with them.

I was only messing. Klopp might have the best intentions but it's a fact that the majority of the big boys buy the ready made article. 

Odd exception like Foden, Rashford, Trent, Mount . 

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I was only messing. Klopp might have the best intentions but it's a fact that the majority of the big boys buy the ready made article. 

Odd exception like Foden, Rashford, Trent, Mount . 

Yep I agree but I think Klopp's point could apply to all clubs and was something I'd never heard or considered before.

On 17/05/2021 at 17:30, werstayinup said:

I mentioned Tshimanga a while ago on here as he wants to try league football after rising up through the non leagues,i also mentioned Olaofe a couple of weeks ago after watching him 2 or 3 times on BT,he was the stand out player in those games by a mile,Notts County couldn't stop him and had to foul him all through the game and his goal in that one was excellent took on the whole defence,plays out wide .

Tshimanga would be fantastic, and I don't usually like taking players from national to pro. The gap is getting smaller though, which is why so many teams fall into oblivion after dropping.

9 hours ago, 1 said:

Tshimanga would be fantastic, and I don't usually like taking players from national to pro. The gap is getting smaller though, which is why so many teams fall into oblivion after dropping.

The top half of the national league is on a par with the bottom half of league 2. I think the gap to league 1 is probably wider. Very few clubs come up and straight back down and they tend to keep the core of the squad. Most players are professional in the national league, so for me there isn't a distinction between the national league and being professional.  That said I've no idea if Tshimanga is the right player for us as I've only seen a youtube clip. His age and goals per games stats at that level are on a par with Rodney, who has been better all season than the 3 football league experienced pros on our books. If we've done our homework and sign him that's fine. I'm sure he will get a place at a league 1 or 2 side next year.

1 minute ago, Mellor! said:

Chris Stokes released from FGR. Wouldn't surprise me if we had a look at him. (Will have to change his name though)

They've offered Aaron Collins a new contract as well. Wouldnt mind trying to pinch him.

Never did Dean any harm 🙂

14 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Chris Stokes released from FGR. Wouldn't surprise me if we had a look at him. (Will have to change his name though)

They've offered Aaron Collins a new contract as well. Wouldnt mind trying to pinch him.

I thought Stokes was older than that - he only turned 30 in March, but I thought he was about 33+!

Really decent L2 left back. Great delivery on him too. I'd be happy for him to be one of the 2 LB's we'll sign.

I work in an office above 

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Never did Dean any harm 🙂

I'm based in an office above a school and often used to hear a specific teacher really screaming at the kids. Turns out, it was Dean! He's still got the teeth.

Just checked his wiki page and it seems like one of the pupils may not like him much.

As of December 2011, Stokes works at Abraham Moss High School as a P.E teacher and Giving Head Master.

There's a video featuring him here too.

20 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

James Vaughan retired despite having a year left on his contract!

Bit of a shock that and a loss to lower league football.

I suspect it’s to do with his injury and the ability to get an insurance payout on it.

Archived