onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players released from other clubs

Iron Curtain

17 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Interesting take on Walsall's retained list, their released players (including James Clarke) and a bit about DC taken from their local rag:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/05/12/walsall-comment-saddlers-need-balance-in-major-summer-recruitment-drive/

Looking at the picture of the author he’s written it for his GCSE exams

Advert

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Looking at the picture of the author he’s written it for his GCSE exams

At least he's Keen.

And Coppell favourite to be next manager? Out of work for 2 years and hasn't managed in England for a decade, would be an 'interesting' choice.

9 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Interesting take on Walsall's retained list, their released players (including James Clarke) and a bit about DC taken from their local rag:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2021/05/12/walsall-comment-saddlers-need-balance-in-major-summer-recruitment-drive/

I know a fair few of their fans wanted to keep Clarke and as it says there Gordon and McDonald are talented players and i do remember them playing against us in the past and them causing us loads of problems,however i think i would sooner have McDonald than Gordon and i would be ok with Clarke tbh

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I know a fair few of their fans wanted to keep Clarke and as it says there Gordon and McDonald are talented players and i do remember them playing against us in the past and them causing us loads of problems,however i think i would sooner have McDonald than Gordon and i would be ok with Clarke tbh

If Clarke wants Rodney to be our main goal threat he needs someone who can play off him. Part of the decline in Rodney's goals towards the end of the season has been due to playing off Pope or Robinson in a 2. That has meant he has been the one dropping into midfield or running the channels out wide. It also negated his pace getting behind centrehalves.  Someone has to do that hard running if we play 2 up front. 

I think Gordon might be someone who could do the donkey work for Rodney. He's always looked energetic and does a lot of the hard yards you'd want from a second striker. I believe he struggled when Adebayo got sold this season and he was the focal point, but he's never been the biggest (he was outright short as a kid). I'm not sure he has the physical attributes to do that role in league 2. 18 months ago Walsall were turning down six figure offers for him, so there is something there. Clarke knows his game, so you'd hope can make a call on how well he would operate with Rodney. If he comes I'd be surprised if he was prolific. Williamson wasn't prolific but he did play an important part in Pope's success during his first stint at the club. The reason Pope evolved was the loss of Richards alongside players like Williamson and Dodds emerging as second forwards; allowing Pope to focus on a corridor the width of the penalty area inside the oppositions half.

It's hard to say where McDonald fits into Clarkes thinking. I suspect he'll continue with wingbacks. As much as anything I think he learned that we lose too much from Conlon if we only play 2 in midfield. He's our best player currently and end up too deep to hurt teams in a 2 in the centre. He's keeping Amoo, so he has a player to switch to 4 4 2 quite easily within games. I think he has played more as a central midfield player in the past. I'm not fully convinced he could play the Oyeleke role on the right of a midfield 3. If Clarke thought he could replicate Oyeleke surely he would have played him in that role at Walsall. If he was left footed maybe.

I, of course, won't rule out good players signing, but I had hoped that we move away from signing players already known to the manager.

Benning, Sweeney, Nicholls, Clarke, Gordon, McDonald; probably all decent players, but hopefully the new recruitment setup has identified more varied targets. I won't be moaning if we do sign a couple of them, though.

Always liked the look of gordon whenever hes played against us. I would be happy and not surprised if he came here. Worked with darrel and a local lad. He always caused us trouble and looked like he gave his all. Be a good signing in my opinion

I, of course, won't rule out good players signing, but I had hoped that we move away from signing players already known to the manager.
Benning, Sweeney, Nicholls, Clarke, Gordon, McDonald; probably all decent players, but hopefully the new recruitment setup has identified more varied targets. I won't be moaning if we do sign a couple of them, though.
I'm hoping the same Joe but they will always go with a few players they have worked with before and trust. if it was those 6 I think they would be a huge step up from the Macc lads that Askey brought in

39 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If you look at a rectangle of our normal recruitment you start at Birmingham go across to Liverpool, up to Rochdale the across to North Nottinghamshire/ south Yorkshire then back down to Birmingham. Then map onto that the clubs Flitcroft has managed/ coached and to a lesser extent Clarke. Both are managers who do a lot of recruitment most summers, so they have got through a lot of players. Its almost certain some of the recruitment will be from, or players who have played for, clubs one or the other has been involved with. I'm sure some of our recruitment will be outside our normal area. It just gets more difficult to sell relocation and costs more money. Its also a lot easier to scout players within a 90 minute drive, if you want to do more than looking at someone on Ifollow and checking internet stats. Ultimately you also want to watch a player live to see what they are doing when they haven't got the ball. Particularly in the case of Flitcroft we are paying a lot of money for his contacts and knowledge of players relatively locally based. If he can't help attract some of the better ones he has worked with he is an expensive waste of money.

Will make it clear; happy with a few (Benning especially). If the players are good then I don't want to rule them out on the basis of having worked for Flitters/Clarke.

However, the vast majority of our recruitment will hopefully be from more varied sources, having utilised data and a wider scouting network. Should be a nice mix.

1 hour ago, JRC said:

If you look at a rectangle of our normal recruitment you start at Birmingham go across to Liverpool, up to Rochdale the across to North Nottinghamshire/ south Yorkshire then back down to Birmingham. Then map onto that the clubs Flitcroft has managed/ coached and to a lesser extent Clarke. Both are managers who do a lot of recruitment most summers, so they have got through a lot of players. Its almost certain some of the recruitment will be from, or players who have played for, clubs one or the other has been involved with. I'm sure some of our recruitment will be outside our normal area. It just gets more difficult to sell relocation and costs more money. Its also a lot easier to scout players within a 90 minute drive, if you want to do more than looking at someone on Ifollow and checking internet stats. Ultimately you also want to watch a player live to see what they are doing when they haven't got the ball. Particularly in the case of Flitcroft we are paying a lot of money for his contacts and knowledge of players relatively locally based. If he can't help attract some of the better ones he has worked with he is an expensive waste of money.

interesting theory!:clap:

1 hour ago, JRC said:

Recruitment runs alongside his work in all other aspects of professionally developing the club. Otherwise he'd be a talent scout, not DOF.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Agreed. 

As you've said, I'd be happy with a couple (Benning, Gordon) but, for me, we should stay clear of the rest. 

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

Agreed. 

As you've said, I'd be happy with a couple (Benning, Gordon) but, for me, we should stay clear of the rest. 

I'd add Sweeney to that list.

A CB stock of 

Smith

Legge

Sweeney

Clarke

Would be very solid 

I'd love to hijack some contract renewal negotiations at Crewe. Don't even want the players, just pressure the tramp in having to concede higher wages because Flitters sent Wintle and Porter's agents a cheeky contract offer on whatsapp. Banter. 

Archived