onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Fosse69

Wayne Corden is mentioned above. Look, please don't do that! I didn't watch this afternoon but it looked like a final check team selection. Outcome was a decisive loss to a team in the lower reaches of the league. Indicators to the manager clear. It's a terribly hard place football; hard to become a professional and hard to remain a professional for a reasonable career.

Advert

14 minutes ago, Santa said:

What's your beef with Wayne Corden? Does he support racial equality or something?

Not the worst player, but in my opinion he was a really tedious bottler. So when he had a chance to take someone on in a one on one position he passed it sideways. He consistently lacked judgement. He was around for several years and constantly seen as the future. But it didn't come and he got on my wick.

1 minute ago, Warren said:

Not the worst player, but in my opinion he was a really tedious bottler. So when he had a chance to take someone on in a one on one position he passed it sideways. He consistently lacked judgement. He was around for several years and constantly seen as the future. But it didn't come and he got on my wick.

The only Vale player to score a goal against the Arsenal in the last 80 odd years

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

The only Vale player to score a goal against the Arsenal in the last 80 odd years

Good point. I can take him in context I guess, he was part of a much better team than we have had in the last few years. 

12 minutes ago, Warren said:

Good point. I can take him in context I guess, he was part of a much better team than we have had in the last few years. 

Corden's career after Vale showed him to be a decent lower league performer. With hindsight we were a league too high for him during his time around the first team. He really lacked a yard of pace. His crossing and distribution were decent enough.

2 hours ago, JRC said:

Watching the last few games the number 1 priority has to be an Oyeleke replacement. At the moment the midfield is Tom Conlon. After that it's someone to replace Joyce. 

Certainly nobody put their hand up today to stay. Don't agree that Brown should be replaced because we will need to in the future. Football is here and now to a degree and Clark just needs to decide if he has one more season in him at his current level. Probably the only player who has benefited from today in Montano,  the team definitely looks better when he is on the left.

The biggest disappointments for me this season are Burgess and Taylor. Both looked good young players last season. Second season syndrome isn't unusual for young players but both need to do much better next year.

@JRC I completely agree with you on that. I really hope that one (preferably both) of Burgess/Taylor come good under Clarke. 

I thought Jake Taylor did well when he made sub appearances under DC, he often was involved in the only quality in the game. Then all of a sudden he seems to have disappeared, I presume he's been out injured but can't find confirmation.

I am a Manny fan but IMHO the Jake Taylor of the first half of last season (2019/20) was a better player than Manny and Vale need him back and playing at his best.

Mansfield cut  us open at will and for that and a horrendous throughout performance in general here are my marks unless your a Mansfield fan as I'm sure you have enjoyed annihilating us 7-0 on aggregate with our showings in both as poor as can be .

Brown 7 had to save a lot as nobody in front of him were doing there jobs and if they were then I didnt see them .

Smith 3 very poor 

Brisley 3 very poor 

Olunganga 2 ill at ease throughout looked like he was either getting no help and being made look worse than he is or he is indeed not ready for league football .

Hurst 4 hit the bar a d had a shot saved bit other than that I do not think defensively he covered himself in glory .

Mckirdy 3 nearly scored with a fluke and banged one wide after Hurst hit bar but not once hit the byline and spent most of the game falling over .

Joyce 2 did he look interested I said today he didnt as there players were running off him all game .

Conlon 4 had one of them games where it seemed pass him by whether that was because he was being dragged down by the rest I do not know not he was no where near the level we require from him .Burgess 3 I generally like him but today he seemed like he had being told he was not part of the managers plans come think of it apart from Brown the performance stunk of all the players were told before the game you ain't part of his or the clubs plans it was that bad .

Rodney 3 a few bursts but generally he doesn't put a shift in especially defensively seems strange he comes back in the team and we lose last 2 ,top scorer or not I expect more from him and if he wants be a big player for someone he has to put the hard yards in he didnt today in my opinion they all didnt .

Pope 3 love the Pope and typical Vale playing him when no long throws coming in from leader Legge (how we missed our best defender and leader ),and apart from one decent ball in from Conlon from a free kick and a little burst from Rodney early second half and decent cross in service to him non existent. 

So all in all a disgraceful performance I'd go as far as say it was the worst of the season and for that you send one Vale fan away for 3 months really naffed off with what I witnessed yesterday it was GUTLESS. 

Take me hat off to Nigel Cloughs Mansfield they were terrific throughout ,we were a <ovf censored> shambles .

Clearly Clarke started the game with several individuals who were on their last games for Vale and it gave the manager confirmation of what is really needed for any kind of promotion push next season. I would not read too much into the game itself other than to agree with almost everyone that we know who should be here and who should be shown the door. A big clear out is honestly required as we as a squad are frankly not good enough.

Valiants are tired of laxidasical, non interested performances so come on Dazzer set our pulses rising again in close season with some terrific acquisitions.  

Archived