• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

Advert:

1 hour ago, Another shropshire valiant said:

1969 for me, can’t remember much about it, I’m pictured here with my dad in the. lorne Street stand for Roy Sprosons last game

D6F96FC7-2DED-4DEF-9253-0997F39EDB6A.jpeg

I think ..... Left to Right John Brodie, Bobby Gough, Sammy Morgan ( Holding Ball) Brian Horton, Micky Morris, Bob Peyton, Roy Sproson, Tommy Mac and right at the back could be Bobby Mountford not sure.....

• Like 1

Advert:

15 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Looks like Bob Mountford's hairline behind Tommy Mac...funny how you can remember players from over half a century ago by their hair.

I taught Bobby Mountford’s younger brother!

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I taught Bobby Mountford’s younger brother!

...and Bobby Gough's wife was my swimming coach at Chell School. She did a good job, I've been successfully dodging the Japanese whaling fleet ever since....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1974 at home v Bury. Won 1-0 Horton pen at the Hamil end. Like many others, was mesmerized by the ground and the colour as the only pro football I'd watched was on TV in black and white. Couldn't wait for the next game which was the following week and we beat Huddersfield 4-0. Horton scored a cracker but Toney Lacey scored one even better from 30+ yards.

We had a decent season and finished 6th but no play offs in those days of course. Remember Blackburn with Gordon Lee returning to beat us and win the championship with a huge following.

• Like 1

Advert:

6 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

First game (I think) was V PNE  when Bobby Charlton was player manager. I have no recollection of the game.

No wonder you can`t remember that match it was one of the dullest games ever 0-0 and Charlton resigned after and never played another match.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

No wonder you can`t remember that match it was one of the dullest games ever 0-0 and Charlton resigned after and never played another match.

It was 2-1 to us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kes1974 said:

1974 at home v Bury. Won 1-0 Horton pen at the Hamil end. Like many others, was mesmerized by the ground and the colour as the only pro football I'd watched was on TV in black and white. Couldn't wait for the next game which was the following week and we beat Huddersfield 4-0. Horton scored a cracker but Toney Lacey scored one even better from 30+ yards.

We had a decent season and finished 6th but no play offs in those days of course. Remember Blackburn with Gordon Lee returning to beat us and win the championship with a huge following.

Yes put 4 goals past us.

First season was 1969/70 for me ,used to go in the Hamil Road end with my Dad n Mum ,not sure why we went in that end .Can’t remember much about the football that season but used to play in the open spaces at the top of the Hamil with my mates (Norton boys ) happy days . Think we were promoted . 

Advert:

On 29/04/2021 at 07:53, Heatwave said:

Vale 2 Chesterfield 3 in 1966/67. I should have realised then, but oh no.

Cheers Heatwave, I was struggling to remember the date of my first game but that was it. Climbed over the Bycars gates and hid for half an hour until there was a few in.

Was always going be vale as it runs in the family ,my gran LilyLeigh (pictured) who terrorised refs as they walked down the tunnel from the Lorne st with her brolly , The late great Gordon Lee said in the press lily is 👍queen of the terraces following Vale all over the country ,great memories.

• Like 1