49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

My first game was a league cup replay v QPR 1960, but the first one I really remember was an FA cup replay against Sunderland, in 1962, my dad took me as a birthday present and we won 3-1

9 hours ago, Clayts said:

Don't really remember my first as was only about 3 at the time, the owd mon started taking me in '84/'85 if mum was out/at work on a Saturday and he wanted to watch the game. Spent most games in the first couple of years kicking a tennis ball/plastic bottle along the bottom of the Bycars with the other littl'uns, bobbing our head over the hoardings if there was a big roar.

From the early years it's the games around my birthday I remember - big win on my 4th (turns out it was 4-0 v Wrexham), Man U in the Milk Cup on my 5th, mascot for my 6th (1-0 v Bury) - plus the obvious memorable ones such as celebrations on getting promoted in '86, Andy Jones scoring 5 v Newport, the Macc/Spurs/Watford cup run and Aldershot in the fog.

'88/'89 is the first season I properly remember as we had a season ticket in the Railway Stand, and started to go to a few away games, plus I've got scrapbooks of all the games from that season, which helps with the recall after 30-odd years!

Great memories of the 88/89 season, my first season going regularly, went about 15/16 home games and about 10 away games, was completely hooked after that and hardly missed a game since this season.  For me that is my favourite season supporting the Vale, some great performances, scoring 11 goals in 48 hours early in the season, last minute winner against Bolton, the 3 - 3 draw v Sheffield United and Wolves.  Some great followings away from home as well, quite often that season we were taking 2500+.  Remember my parents allowing me to go to Preston in the play-offs but not allowing me to finish school for the Bristol Rovers match and been a nervous wreck listening.

• Like 1

My first Vale game was Port Vale 2 QPR 3 in 1962.

Sat on the white wall that borders the pitch on the Railway Paddock, my Grandad took me and we went with my fiend and his dad. My friend became the Best Man at my wedding and we still keep in touch to this day and go the Vale whenever I'm in the UK.

First away game was Notts County 0 Port Vale 0 in 1968.

Went on a PMT single decker bus, got off school 1 hr early as it was a Wednesday night game.

On 27/04/2021 at 22:11, The French Connection said:
On 27/04/2021 at 09:28, bycars rob said:
Vale 3 Chester 0 ,my spectator debut 1969 I think. John Green nearly bost the net.

Wasn't that Mick Cullerton, on his way to a hatrick?

The Cullerton hat trick game against Chester was in the league cup in 1967.  That game was particularly significant because it led to us being kicked out of the Football League.  Mick Cullerton was given a bonus, as was the whole team. It was all recorded in the minutes.  Nice bonus for a great win.  However, it was not part of their contract and this, along with some other payments were illegal and resulted in our expulsion. I remember that game well. Of course none of us at the time realised the significance of it all.