onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

My first Vale game was Port Vale 2 QPR 3 in 1962.

Sat on the white wall that borders the pitch on the Railway Paddock, my Grandad took me and we went with my fiend and his dad. My friend became the Best Man at my wedding and we still keep in touch to this day and go the Vale whenever I'm in the UK.

First away game was Notts County 0 Port Vale 0 in 1968.

Went on a PMT single decker bus, got off school 1 hr early as it was a Wednesday night game.

Advert

On 27/04/2021 at 22:11, The French Connection said:
On 27/04/2021 at 09:28, bycars rob said:
Vale 3 Chester 0 ,my spectator debut 1969 I think. John Green nearly bost the net.

Wasn't that Mick Cullerton, on his way to a hatrick?

The Cullerton hat trick game against Chester was in the league cup in 1967.  That game was particularly significant because it led to us being kicked out of the Football League.  Mick Cullerton was given a bonus, as was the whole team. It was all recorded in the minutes.  Nice bonus for a great win.  However, it was not part of their contract and this, along with some other payments were illegal and resulted in our expulsion. I remember that game well. Of course none of us at the time realised the significance of it all.

• 11 months later...

Like i have said before first went in 54/55 season with my dad i was only 5 then carnt remember who we played at all .but remember all matches mentiond went to Roker park in fa cup when we drew 0-0 beat them at the vale replay 3-1 Brian Clough was there centre forward.Saw us lose against villa 2-1 with Gerry Hitchens and Peter Macparland on the wing .does any one remember the Watney cup final played over 2 legs against Chester City we won the first at home 3-0 typical of vale we lost the second leg 4-0 talk about being heart broken.Still got the programme when we played the friendly with Czechoslovakia at the vale lost 3-1 with Bert Llewellyn scoring for us yet another one of my favorite players to watch so many memories that linger in my heart of following the VALE.

What a fantastic thread.

46 years for me.  First game was 16th Feb 1976.  We won 1-0 against Shef Wednesday; the wonderful Derek Brownbill scored - but it wasn't that goal that made me fall in love with the Vale.

At the time, as a young lad of 15, I "supported" Man City - these were the days of Francis Lee, Colin Bell, Joe Royal and (the god that is) Joe Corrigan.  My best mate at school (and still best mates today) Donkey who was and still is a huge Vale fan asked me to come up the Vale - he said if you don't like it i'll give you your money back.  That was an offer I couldn't refuse.

So half a dozen of us form BTM in Castle went to the game and stood on the Bycars just in front of the tea bar (legendary!)

The thing that sent me head over heels in love with the Vale was when Terry Baily hit a shot from outside the box that hit the corner of the goal post and cross bar.  The place went wild.  I remember the first time ever hearing Surge, Sway, Jump Up And Down, and everyone going nuts.  I was smitten.

Never, ever looked back.  Yes - its a bloody frustrating team to watch, sometimes, but i bet almost every football fan in the world can say that.

KTF and UTV

Honestly can’t remember my first game but would have been early 70s 

do remember calling in at the talking Myna Birds in Burslem park on the way to the ground - they used to say ‘ going to the Vale? ‘ 

also being passed over the turnstiles and getting in for free 😄

Mine was 2001 - Away at Notts County (Leicestershire based so hadn't got to see them live before that!)

Won 1-0 Brooker about 5 minutes from the end and their fans were seething as they felt he should of walked before half time for a career ending challenge*

*pretty sure the lad played their next game!

Second game was the LDV Final!

Third game was my first at Vale Park ironically also against Notts County! (Lost 3-2)

Further back about 1996ish I actually managed to see Port Vale Reserves away at Filbert Street in a 2-2 draw with Leicester.. they used to do Family Night Football for their reserves and used to get a few thousand for it and was actually quite a good thing they did there!

First game (I think) was V PNE  when Bobby Charlton was player manager. I have no recollection of the game.

First game I remember was away to Villa in the fa cup in 1977(?). We lost 3-0. We were all in the Holte End with the Villa fans, a Villa supporting mum lifted me up onto one of the steel frames and fed me sweets.

Archived