onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

Don't really remember my first as was only about 3 at the time, the owd mon started taking me in '84/'85 if mum was out/at work on a Saturday and he wanted to watch the game. Spent most games in the first couple of years kicking a tennis ball/plastic bottle along the bottom of the Bycars with the other littl'uns, bobbing our head over the hoardings if there was a big roar.

From the early years it's the games around my birthday I remember - big win on my 4th (turns out it was 4-0 v Wrexham), Man U in the Milk Cup on my 5th, mascot for my 6th (1-0 v Bury) - plus the obvious memorable ones such as celebrations on getting promoted in '86, Andy Jones scoring 5 v Newport, the Macc/Spurs/Watford cup run and Aldershot in the fog.

'88/'89 is the first season I properly remember as we had a season ticket in the Railway Stand, and started to go to a few away games, plus I've got scrapbooks of all the games from that season, which helps with the recall after 30-odd years!

Advert

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
6 hours ago, geosname said:
I can't remember who we played or the team..... except I think a guy named Jackson..... and vale scored 7

Hi Geo, I remember it well. 28 Dec 59, Boxing Day. Halifax 7-0 Graham Barnett 4, Brian Jackson 2, Harry Poole 1. There was also another Boxing Day when we beat Gateshead 8-0. Happy days.

Thanks Fosse.

My first game was sometime around 1970. It was Barnsley at home and I think it finished 1-1. My dad took me to see Barnsley. He was a born and bred Tyke but we had recently moved across to this area so that he could take up a teaching post at the Tech in Burslem. The next game I remember after that was the FA Cup against West Ham ('72?). Again, I remember my dad took me to see West Ham, Bobby Moore et al. So, technically, my first two visits to Vale Park, that I can remember, were to see the opposition!! However, like so many on here we were soon hooked and I've been a regular at Vale Park since the '73-'74 season and had a season ticket virtually ever since. 

33 minutes ago, MiketheValiant said:

My first game was sometime around 1970. It was Barnsley at home and I think it finished 1-1.

I suspect that was 3 October 1970.  I'm reliably informed that the Vale goal was an own goal by Eric Brookes at the Bycars End.

It's a significant day for Eddie.  His Dad became unwell at the game and died an hour and a half later at home of a heart attack.  He was only 64 and never got any retirement.  Life's a bitch at times.

19 hours ago, The French Connection said:
On 27/04/2021 at 09:28, bycars rob said:
Vale 3 Chester 0 ,my spectator debut 1969 I think. John Green nearly bost the net.

Wasn't that Mick Cullerton, on his way to a hatrick?

No the other scorers were Jamo and Wookey, 6th September (according to Wikipedia)

18 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Two years after me Rob. I think Phil may have started before you too.

Remember going training at the Vale with Phil when we were sixteen i think. God that pitch was big , too big for me. Before we started playing we had to run around the pitch a few, several times and that was not for me. Great for Phil and he did well.  

THANKS STEVE

He still thinks he could get a game now!

A great topic. The first game I actually remember is the 5th round match against Villa in 1960. Standing on the wall at the back of the Bycars, so I could see, not being able to move with 49K in the ground, I had been many games before but have no recollection of them. Taken by my grandad who lived in Norris Road, just past the quarry at the back of Bycars. Always remember meeting him as he piled out of the Goose (I think) 10 minutes before kickoff. Been hooked ever since.

9 hours ago, Clayts said:

Don't really remember my first as was only about 3 at the time, the owd mon started taking me in '84/'85 if mum was out/at work on a Saturday and he wanted to watch the game. Spent most games in the first couple of years kicking a tennis ball/plastic bottle along the bottom of the Bycars with the other littl'uns, bobbing our head over the hoardings if there was a big roar.

From the early years it's the games around my birthday I remember - big win on my 4th (turns out it was 4-0 v Wrexham), Man U in the Milk Cup on my 5th, mascot for my 6th (1-0 v Bury) - plus the obvious memorable ones such as celebrations on getting promoted in '86, Andy Jones scoring 5 v Newport, the Macc/Spurs/Watford cup run and Aldershot in the fog.

'88/'89 is the first season I properly remember as we had a season ticket in the Railway Stand, and started to go to a few away games, plus I've got scrapbooks of all the games from that season, which helps with the recall after 30-odd years!

Great memories of the 88/89 season, my first season going regularly, went about 15/16 home games and about 10 away games, was completely hooked after that and hardly missed a game since this season.  For me that is my favourite season supporting the Vale, some great performances, scoring 11 goals in 48 hours early in the season, last minute winner against Bolton, the 3 - 3 draw v Sheffield United and Wolves.  Some great followings away from home as well, quite often that season we were taking 2500+.  Remember my parents allowing me to go to Preston in the play-offs but not allowing me to finish school for the Bristol Rovers match and been a nervous wreck listening.

Archived