onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I showed this to Eddie and the first thing he said was, “Keith Walker referee - horrible bald headed guy - useless”!!!  He has also taken a dislike to Conrad for saying he can’t remember Johnny Green, one of the greatest midfielders to wear a Vale shirt!

I wondered what Eddie was saying Re. Johnny Green ! and I have to agree about Green being one of the greatest midfielders to play for us.

Advert

Too young to remember my first match at the Old Rec, probably a Saturday afternoon reserve game in the Cheshire League which would be safe for small boys. Later sitting on the fence was the favourite for boys at first team games. First game I have memories of was the  1948 All-ticket league game against Notts County, Vale in the running for promotion attracting a 18,000 crowd. There was also the rarity that the England centre forward Tommy Lawton was playing for Notts, the first current England international to ever do so for a Third Division club. I was then tall enough to stand on the Town end with my father.  Vale lost 2-1 a goal from Lawton winning it, Ronnie Allen also netted, who would also go on to score for England.

8 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
9 hours ago, Brian said:
0-0 v Wolves in first game of Andy Jones second spell. Hooked!

Dean Glover debut game?

Yes, I think so, but all the fuss was about Jones coming back. 

Had recently moved to the area, tried S***e first, but the Vale felt right straight away.

8 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I showed this to Eddie and the first thing he said was, “Keith Walker referee - horrible bald headed guy - useless”!!!  He has also taken a dislike to Conrad for saying he can’t remember Johnny Green, one of the greatest midfielders to wear a Vale shirt!

Sorry.

i have heard of him, just can’t remember seeing him play.

45 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Sorry.

i have heard of him, just can’t remember seeing him play.

Don’t worry. You’re forgiven!!

When Johnny Green died there were a lot of tributes on here and on PVO.  We printed them all off and tracked down the funeral director who did Johnny’s funeral. Eddie then contacted them to see if they would forward a letter to his wife. He sent all the tributes to Johnny’s wife along with a letter. A few days later she rang us and Eddie had a long natter with her. 

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I remember that game.  We thought we'd won it then let in a dreadful goal from a cross that Grewy should have come for late in the game.

That was my first ever league game.

My first ever game was the 1.4 against Liverpool.

The next game I went to after Charlton was Exeter the following season.  2.2 i think it was.

I was a regular that season and a season ticket holder thereafter.

9 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I bet you sat right behind us because that's where John used to sit.  I remember his daughter was going out with Mark Bright at one point.

Wow I'm amazed

John was a really nice dude. His first wife died in tragic circumstances, but he soldiered on

I remember once one of the paper delivery lads who fancied himself a bit, nicked a Mars bar when John's back was turned

When we came back from delivering the papers, John handed out the wage packets. 'Oh' he says to the lad, 'by the way I've taken the money out for the Mars bar you forgot to pay for earlier'

Class act

That was just the first time he took me to the Vale; went to a lot of Wednesday night games with him

Not sure if he's still alive

Big debt I owe him for that

Years later, when I was back in the UK on leave, I took great pride in taking my youngest daughter to Vale Park for her first ever game and I really remembered John Kemp taking me

Points-with-Bone

13 hours ago, bycars rob said:

Vale 3 Chester 0 ,my spectator debut 1969 I think. John Green nearly bost the net.

Two years after me Rob. I think Phil may have started before you too.

Remember going training at the Vale with Phil when we were sixteen i think. God that pitch was big , too big for me. Before we started playing we had to run around the pitch a few, several times and that was not for me. Great for Phil and he did well.

My first memory, stuck with me forever and i view i will treasure forever. First game was 1967 i think and we played Southport. Drew 1 - 1 i think, first game of season. 

Before that we went up to the Vale a couple of weeks before start of season. The gates were open on the Hamil end. I was only 9 and my mate Steve Robinson about 12. We walked from Bradwell, he knew where we were going. So through the Hamil gates and up towards the ground. Then you saw this view of Vale Park. The pitch was huge, the ground looked massive to me. WOW i must have thought what is this. Its a bit bigger than the pitch on the crem at Bradwell. Even then we walked higher up on the gravel bank at the top of the Hamil. Am sure there were a couple of barriers on top of the bank.

Absolutely amazing view. I was hooked. 54 years later and still am.

To think it was Steve Robinson who set me up for this. My Vale life. Do i thank him or swear at him.

THANKS STEVE

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Johnny Green was tremendous. What a player.

Ball Boulton Wilson King Sproson Green - Dont think that line up ever changed. Forwards did but not those lads. Brilliant

I can't remember who we played or the team..... except I think a guy named Jackson..... and vale scored 7
Hi Geo, I remember it well. 28 Dec 59, Boxing Day. Halifax 7-0 Graham Barnett 4, Brian Jackson 2, Harry Poole 1. There was also another Boxing Day when we beat Gateshead 8-0. Happy days.

Archived