• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

49 years ago today ...

Jacko51

Advert:

Advert:

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

... I went to my first ever Vale game.  They lost 2-1 at Notts County.  I should have realised then!!!!

As you know Jean I'm born and bred all things Port Vale, but my 1st game was v Walsall in the Staffs Senior Cup at The Old Rec in 1949 Ray King was in goal.

My next game was when dad took me to the opening in the Wembley of the North in 1950. Now there was posh.

• Thanks 1

Wont make Jacko feel too old in that her first game was 13 years before I was born... so mine as a non local Vale fan was actually Notts County away also but a 1-0 victory in 2001 with Stevie Brooker scoring a late winner... 5 months later than it should of been after their ground flooded for the original fixture. I recall Brooker being lucky not to see red and their fans were not too chuffed when he scored the winner! Second game was a few weeks later in the LDV Final and third a week after my first visit to Vale Park a 2-3 loss to.... Notts County!

My first overall Port Vale fixture though was a good 5 or 6 years earlier. I am Leicestershire born and bred and Leicester City used to do Family Night Football at the old Filbert street for their reserve games and used to draw decent crowds and make it a family night... so I went the Port Vale fixture which we drew 2-2! 

Edited by valefan16

25 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

As you know Jean I'm born and bred all things Port Vale, but my 1st game was v Walsall in the Staffs Senior Cup at The Old Rec in 1949 Ray King was in goal.

My next game was when dad took me to the opening in the Wembley of the North in 1950. Now there was posh.

Was that the Newport game, Barry?  Eddie is jealous - he went that season but not for the opening game. He has been to Vale Park every season since then until this one!

3-1 defeat to Czechoslavakia 2/10/1961 one of my first games (can't remember but may have been my first).  I was only 7 at the time but remember my Dad, brother-in-law, and me standing in the Bycars that night.  I was in awe at seeing Stanley Matthews in real life more so than seeing the 1962 World Cup finalists in action.

For me, my first game was 60 years and 2 days ago. It wasn't even at Vale Park, but at the Victoria Ground Stoke.  It was the final of the Supporters Club Trophy.  We won 1-0, with an own goal.  My first game at Vale Park was in 1962 a 2-2 draw with Wrexham, so the first Vale players I saw score a goal were Colin Grainger and Bert Llewellyn

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I can remember the 4-4 against Villa because from my parents house you could hear the roar of the crowd when Vale score

That snooze fest was my first game.  Fifty years ago on Nov 6, I shall mark the anniversary. It's on a Saturday so by, er, watching the Vale.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Was that the Newport game, Barry?  Eddie is jealous - he went that season but not for the opening game. He has been to Vale Park every season since then until this one!

Yes Jean, Newport County. We won 1-0 - although I didn't see Walter Aveyad's goal. I was 9 years old.

Advert: