Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MiketheValiant said:

I remember Liam Burns playing almost an entire game in goal against Wigan, who were a strong team at the time, and keeping a clean sheet! Can't remember what season it was...

It was the LDV season, 2000/01. Goodlad got concussed (he played on for a few minutes despite obviously not knowing what day it was). I remember it was an early kick off because England were playing at 3.00.

As was said earlier, as it was an international weekend Dean Delan(e)y had an Ireland U21 call up.

Edited by Santa

Advert:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That referee was shocking I'm sure Vale should have had at least one penalty . Worrall through on goal ,Robinson lobbing over ,conlons shot well saved ,Rodney hitting post or goalie deflecting it

Sorry to say but Joyce has been dreadful this season. I don't buy the narrative that "no one notices the unsung work he does". His legs have gone, and he passes to the opposition more times than his

Monty had a good game. The second booking was a joke. He just went up for a 50/50 ball in the air. Not like he stuck an elbow in his face. Unlike their bloke did on Leon. I hope this will not influenc

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, MiketheValiant said:

Didn't Pope used to fancy himself as a keeper?

That would be so odd if, after all those games and goals, Pope's last appearance for us ends up being between the sticks!

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

I remember the (occasional) excitement in the good old days (when we were only allowed 2 subs) when a keeper got injured or red carded, and had to be replaced with an outfield player.

Andy Jones went in goal once, in the 86/87 season - think it was Grew that had gone off (seem to remember that he got sent off?) I don't think that Jones let a goal in. (not certain, but it may have been v Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup?)

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid

7 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Andy Jones went in goal once, in the 86/87 season - think it was Grew that had gone off (can't remember if he was injured or got sent off?) I don't think that Jones let a goal in. (not certain, but it may have been v Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup?)

Seem to recall Paul Millar in goal at Oldham on the plastic pitch as well

Advert:

I suspect Pope not starting in the last couple of games probably means he won't get a playing contract. 5 forwards on the bench is somewhat unusual.

21 minutes ago, JRC said:

I suspect Pope not starting in the last couple of games probably means he won't get a playing contract.

In which case, you would think that he will get some time on the pitch in the final game v Mansfield, as a farewell gesture.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Andy Jones went in goal once, in the 86/87 season - think it was Grew that had gone off (seem to remember that he got sent off?) I don't think that Jones let a goal in. (not certain, but it may have been v Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup?)

Twice, two Saturdays running. In the first one he went in for almost the entire game because Grew got injured early on. I'm pretty sure it finished 1-1. The following week Jim Arnold went off for treatment for about 10 minutes and Jones went in goal again. 

Edited by krakaddict
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Joyce has done those lazy back passes about 6 times this season. No awareness whatsoever

What a mess - we have gone asleep. Whitehead misses a clear shot on goal and then Joyce hands them a goal. Wake up Vale!

Well done Joyce giving them a hand to score with a stupid back pass.  

Come on Vale, another game you have gone behind after not playing well.  See how they cope this week going 1 down.

They've just thrown 2 of the clearest foul throws you'll ever see. His foot was wholly over the touchline both times. Wake up liner!

Advert:

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Joyce has done those lazy back passes about 6 times this season. No awareness whatsoever

Surely he'll be one of those released in 10 days time?

Back to the useless buck passing from earlier in the season. Have a bloody shot. 

Just now, philmpv said:

They've just thrown 2 of the clearest foul throws you'll ever see. His foot was wholly over the touchline both times. Wake up liner!

Was one foot on or behind the line? If so it's ok