Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Should you judge a team over their form at the start of the season, their form in the middle of the season or their form at the end of the season.

I would say the best way to judge a team is their form over the whole season. We are 13th, there are 12 teams than have done better than us and 11 that have done worse.

We are at the end of the season 2 things are currently relevant. How well we have done over the whole season and how well we have done recently. A run either side of Christmas is now irrelevant.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should you judge a team over their form at the start of the season, their form in the middle of the season or their form at the end of the season.

I would say the best way to judge a team is their form over the whole season. We are 13th, there are 12 teams than have done better than us and 11 that have done worse.

We are at the end of the season 2 things are currently relevant. How well we have done over the whole season and how well we have done recently. A run either side of Christmas is now irrelevant.

What an odd statement. That 'run' was part of the whole season so to say on the one hand that how well we have done over the whole season is relevant but that 3 in 25 run is now irrelevant just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just thick.

59 minutes ago, philmpv said:

What an odd statement. That 'run' was part of the whole season so to say on the one hand that how well we have done over the whole season is relevant but that 3 in 25 run is now irrelevant just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just thick.

We are exactly where we should be. First quarter of the season, promotion for. Fourth  quarter, likewise. Quarters two and three, relegation form. And oddly enough, we are slap bang in the middle of the table.

I suppose for some the destination is all that matters, not the journey. I get your point but having spent half the journey stranded at Sandbach services, I've arrived very weary and annoyed.

We are exactly where we should be. First quarter of the season, promotion for. Fourth  quarter, likewise. Quarters two and three, relegation form. And oddly enough, we are slap bang in the middle of the table.

You judge a team over a season. 2012/13 we got 25 points from 17 games after the January window closed. Not bad, but just about good enough to scrape the playoffs or just miss out. That was despite a lot of expensive recruitment in the window. Lee Collins scored his most important Vale goal to belly flop us over the line. There were teams in the play-off spots who were much better than us over the last 3 months of that season but over 46 games we were the better side.

What we don't know was how much the isolations and Covid infections affected the squad and individual players. Quite a few were well off the pace when they came back, particularly Joyce and Smith. There were times when we could have looked at postponing games and didn’t. The argument in favour of what we did was it would have led to a fixture backlog. It may be that part of our recent form is due to other teams now having to play their outstanding games. Training alone in the back garden for two or three weeks mid season is no preparation for a professional footballer and 1% off peak performance is a wide margin in professional sport. Its the difference between a gold medal and being knocked out in the qualifying heats at The Olympics.

I know the club have looked at that middle of the season to try and learn some lessons. Over the last couple of seasons our overall performance has been upper mid-table. There needs to be some changes but we still have to work within a budget. We also don't have the best group and players,  nor do we have the worst. 

Some good points.

If you take the first ten and last ten PPG we win the title at a canter on 100 points, the middle 25 we are bottom.

Crazy difference!

I do feel we should of played the Covid card over Christmas when we had awful injuries and Crookes and Conlon out with the virus. We just are not or we’re not street wise enough and it’s something I imagine DC would have done differently.

Other teams did it yet we got on with it and had a bench of kids and weak XIs out.

How you analyse a season like we’ve had I’ve no idea. The gulf between the two peaks and long trough in our form is absolutely massive.

16 hours ago, barny61 said:

Sorry to disagree Joe but that's not correct, we were sitting one place above the relegation zone and "this lot" put a good run together to keep us up and out of the National league. Well that's how I see it. That's just my take on it.

'This lot' put us one place above relegation by being absolutely uselessly abysmal for half of the season. 

It was their fault. I'm not going to forget that because, once the season was basically meaningless, they put a run together to look good just because contracts became an issue.

This isn't an isolated incident, either; we've been at threat of relegation for 4 of the last 5 seasons.  

If we want promotion we have to take away all the sentiment

Pope isn’t going to score the goals to get us promoted, I’m sorry he’s a total and utter legend but he isn’t so I think his race is run and he will leave

Like Joe says this team has been struggling 4 out of the five last seasons

Remember Scott browns comments on recruitment before the players were silenced -he wasn’t wrong was he

It’s like throwing out those expensive designer Jeans that no longer fit , you don’t want to do it but you have to to

Fair enough ! 🤪🤪

58 minutes ago, Joe B said:

'This lot' put us one place above relegation by being absolutely uselessly abysmal for half of the season. 

It was their fault. I'm not going to forget that because, once the season was basically meaningless, they put a run together to look good just because contracts became an issue.

This isn't an isolated incident, either; we've been at threat of relegation for 4 of the last 5 seasons.  

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Consistency has been lacking for whatever reason, maybe several reasons, under several managers.  We now have several more experienced managers within the club,  hopefully they  will bring us a consistent season for a change. What the player changes required to achieve this will be interesting, no doubt not to everybody`s taste. 

4 hours ago, vale victory said:

If we want promotion we have to take away all the sentiment

Pope isn’t going to score the goals to get us promoted, I’m sorry he’s a total and utter legend but he isn’t so I think his race is run and he will leave

Like Joe says this team has been struggling 4 out of the five last seasons

Remember Scott browns comments on recruitment before the players were silenced -he wasn’t wrong was he

It’s like throwing out those expensive designer Jeans that no longer fit , you don’t want to do it but you have to to

Gardiola has released Aguero so Clarke is well within his rights if he thinks Pope, Brown or other players are too old for his purposes next season. I'm sure they would do a job at mid/lower League Two level but we want more than that. So we'll see what happens

We dominated the game even though we played <ovf censored>, that’s a good thing. But for a crazy goal it’s an easy draw and an away result. With Conlon and Worrall we look like we have class. Some of the first touches and through balls are fantastic. We just need a supporting cast that can play.

I suppose what I am saying is that in almost 30 years of going to the Vale the only good or bad run that I can really remember that is older than a couple of years is the great run that we had at the end the LDV Vans season. Other than that I remember it being a good, bad or indifferent season.

In 5 years time when I look back on this season all I will probably remember is that Covid meant we couldnt go, our owners work in the community made them local heroes, Askey got replaced with Clarke and we finished mid table.

The only run this season that we may discuss in the future is the 6 game winning streak the next time we win 5 in a row. In a years time no one will mention winning only 2 in 23.

Archived