onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Before the game, I was thinking how important it was to keep this run going to the end of the season to give us a platform for next. Clearly most of the players out there didn't see it that way, so DC's comment that the result was a body blow will be bad news for them. Obviously not many of them see the bigger picture or their place in it, so it will be interesting to see DC's response when he selects next week's team.

Surprising language: a body blow - in what most people might think is an end of the season meaningless fixture. That is the seriousness of his intent and we will see this unfold when the retained list is announced. I thought he might be tempted to keep most of the squad who've seen us avoid relegation on the back of what has been a splendid unbeaten run, until today. But now I'm expecting a root and branch clear out.

Today we saw the team revert back to the bad old ways but, penultimate game or not, it wasn't acceptable to DC. That's the measure of the high standards he expects and I think we will see Armageddon in 10 days' time or so. Serious intent - hope at last.

Advert

2 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Before the game, I was thinking how important it was to keep this run going to the end of the season to give us a platform for next. Clearly most of the players out there didn't see it that way, so DC's comment that the result was a body blow will be bad news for them. Obviously not many of them see the bigger picture or their place in it, so it will be interesting to see DC's response when he selects next week's team.

Surprising language: a body blow - in what most people might think is an end of the season meaningless fixture. That is the seriousness of his intent and we will see this unfold when the retained list is announced. I thought he might be tempted to keep most of the squad who've seen us avoid relegation on the back of what has been a splendid unbeaten run, until today. But now I'm expecting a root and branch clear out.

Today we saw the team revert back to the bad old ways but, penultimate game or not, it wasn't acceptable to DC. That's the measure of the high standards he expects and I think we will see Armageddon in 10 days' time or so. Serious intent - hope at last.

It just feels the right time for a clear out. New DOF, new manager and new team. A new beginning of success fingers crossed. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

In my view, really weird/OTT public criticism. Monty went up for a header a bit loosely. I don't think it was a yellow and certainly didn't smack of a player with disciplinary problems who has to be told 'time and time again, and the 'penny won't drop', who has a 'mechanism in his head' that leads to a loss of control. 

Maybe laying the groundwork for releasing him? Monty has been pretty professional for us bar his injuries, which he can hardly help.

You’re right seemed odd but perhaps he had decided to keep Monty and that act has blown up in his face? The fact DC was concerned so much about it speaks to me of a guy who has a player in his plans but does not want him doing that again. 

If he was just going to release him, I doubt he’d have been doing his fruit and nut. 

Monty had a good game. The second booking was a joke. He just went up for a 50/50 ball in the air. Not like he stuck an elbow in his face. Unlike their bloke did on Leon. I hope this will not influence DC's thinking. 

Ref today was a total pillock

Monty had a good game. The second booking was a joke. He just went up for a 50/50 ball in the air. Not like he stuck an elbow in his face. Unlike their bloke did on Leon. I hope this will not influence DC's thinking. 
I don't think anything has influenced his opinion of any players since he walked through the door. He's got the best out of this squad there's no doubt about it but he will be releasing most if not all of those out of contract he wants to win promotion and most of these players have already proved they aren't capable of achieving that

36 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Spot on, a joke of a decision from the referee. 

36 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Clarke is a good manager. He'll get rid of the players that are not going to get us promoted. I'm very optimistic about next season. UTV!

Really hope so. I just have a bad feeling about Robinson hanging around. We haven't signed an exciting/reliable name up front since January 2013. That has to change this summer. 

That referee was shocking I'm sure Vale should have had at least one penalty .

Worrall through on goal ,Robinson lobbing over ,conlons shot well saved ,Rodney hitting post or goalie deflecting it onto post could have run back to Pope for a tap in rolls to defender ,Popes header ,Smith's header ,someone heading over when it was easier head in Brisley heading wide,Montanos volley ,come on we deserved win two games ,scoreline a joke .

Give grimsby credit they played for there pride and got a lucky helping hand from Joyce ,but lets not beat the Vale up too much we deserved win .

UTV 

There is a huge tendency to over react. We were not great today at all. But we should have won. During the winning run we weren't usually great either - but we did.

Hugely disappointed of course, looked like one of those days. But at the end of the day we shot ourselves in the foot. Have to cut this out.

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I did wonder if Monty's second yellow was for gobbing off about the foul being given against him rather than the "tackle".  He did wave his arms about and seemed to show dissent. Is that what Clarke meant??

He does that in every game he plays tbf,every time he is tackled he does it,it really frustrates me but he is another who i dont think will be here next season.

The only issue is we need to replace his goals as he does have an habit of notching a few

There is a huge tendency to over react. We were not great today at all. But we should have won. During the winning run we weren't usually great either - but we did.
Hugely disappointed of course, looked like one of those days. But at the end of the day we shot ourselves in the foot. Have to cut this out.
The reason why long runs are rare, most games are decided by the odd goal, especially by teams whose current strength is defence, luck runs out. Need one next season .

10 hours ago, dishydave said:
10 hours ago, toyahw said:

I don't think anything has influenced his opinion of any players since he walked through the door. He's got the best out of this squad there's no doubt about it but he will be releasing most if not all of those out of contract he wants to win promotion and most of these players have already proved they aren't capable of achieving that

You're calling Clarke a liar then?

Archived