Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

11 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I can’t believe people want us to make the same mistakes we made last summer.

I don`t think we will,  more likely to bring in 3 or 4 first teamers, carefully chosen,  than back up players.  Other incomers to be prospects. 

If fit, the only players currently at the club who should be nailed on to start are:

Gibbons

Smith

Conlon

Worrall

Rodney

I suppose if Brown is extended, then him too (although I have my doubts on retaining him).

We should be looking at half of a new starting 11 next season, imo, and a complete sort out of the backups after we release as much of this lot as we can. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

This lot also went on a run of 3 wins in 25 or so. Some Vale fans have very short term memories, or are very forgiving when it comes to players, that's all I can say. Agree with you regarding gibbons though. If his injury problems continue, I can see him being released at the end of his current contract

This lot  as you call them Joe managed to go on a 9 game unbeaten run and you include Gibbo in your nailed on to start who could end up being more of a crock than Monty !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evolution not revolution. You could analyze the stats and pick the best player in the League for each position and sign them. Wouldn't guarantee that they would become the best team in the League. There are costs involved in signing and releasing players. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, barny61 said:

This lot  as you call them Joe managed to go on a 9 game unbeaten run and you include Gibbo in your nailed on to start who could end up being more of a crock than Monty !

This lot also completely bottled this season after being excellently supported by an excellent owner and 4,000 Season Tickets holders, who stumped up £300 + 23 x £10 (as well as record shirt sales) in a pandemic, to watch a stream as they floundered to 3 wins in 23, necessitating the largest overhaul of football operations in the club's history, fans on here openly admitting to sleepless nights at the prospect of relegation, and the aforementioned owner bailing the club out to the tune of £1m+, with the sacked manager alluding to major issues at the club before the axe fell.

Carol openly stated we weren't finishing 8th again and was let down by defender unable to defend, midfielders unable to pass, and forwards unable to score, as well as managers/coach unable to lead. 

The fact they went on a good run once the season was completely finished and they realised they needed contracts is not massively relevant. These lads have had their chances (some of them 3-4 seasons worth ) and we're no better off in league position than we were the day they signed for us.  

We deserve far better than this, Barny. Don't make excuses for a group of players who fundamentally let us down from the Kings Lynn game up until Clarke whipped them into shape. Complete abdication of their duties for some, despite the fans giving them chance after chance after chance. 

On Gibbons; an excellent young player who has a hamstring issue, and has been mismanaged in his recovery before. Oyeleke seems to have put a similar injury behind him and I have hopes that Gibbons can do the same. If you read my post, I clearly say 'if fit', which is a big if. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, dishydave said:

I think it will be more like 8 or 9 first team players. For me we need 2 at centre half left back, right back, 3 midfielder's including the 2 holding ones and a couple of strikers

Spot on. Week Tuesday or Wednesday is going to be an interesting day. Expect carnage.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Evolution not revolution. You could analyze the stats and pick the best player in the League for each position and sign them. Wouldn't guarantee that they would become the best team in the League. There are costs involved in signing and releasing players. 

If we bring new players in - and we will - expect a few surprises. Given his previous who would have thought Tom Conlon would become such an influential midfielder? I expect horses for courses rather than bringing in the dream team. 

If we bring new players in - and we will - expect a few surprises. Given his previous who would have thought Tom Conlon would become such an influential midfielder? I expect horses for courses rather than bringing in the dream team. 
I personally think he's always had that bit of class he just looked unfit and played a more defensive role up until last season. Maybe it's proof that you just need to give young players time to develop which is something we never seem to do. He has my vote for player of the year this season
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

The fact they went on a good run once the season was completely finished and they realised they needed contracts is not massively relevant. These lads have had their chances (some of them 3-4 seasons worth ) and we're no better off in league position than we were the day they signed for us.  

Sorry to disagree Joe but that's not correct, we were sitting one place above the relegation zone and "this lot" put a good run together to keep us up and out of the National league. Well that's how I see it. That's just my take on it.

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree Joe but that's not correct, we were sitting one place above the relegation zone and "this lot" put a good run together to keep us up and out of the National league. Well that's how I see it. That's just my take on it.

Which team put us in that position in the first place? Was it “this lot”?
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"This lot" have put us through 4 relegation battles in 5 years.

Go nuclear this summer. Ruthlessness needed. No mercy. Release the majority.

New squad that care for the badge much as us is paramount this summer.
  • Like 1