onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, barny61 said:

This lot  as you call them Joe managed to go on a 9 game unbeaten run and you include Gibbo in your nailed on to start who could end up being more of a crock than Monty !

This lot also completely bottled this season after being excellently supported by an excellent owner and 4,000 Season Tickets holders, who stumped up £300 + 23 x £10 (as well as record shirt sales) in a pandemic, to watch a stream as they floundered to 3 wins in 23, necessitating the largest overhaul of football operations in the club's history, fans on here openly admitting to sleepless nights at the prospect of relegation, and the aforementioned owner bailing the club out to the tune of £1m+, with the sacked manager alluding to major issues at the club before the axe fell.

Carol openly stated we weren't finishing 8th again and was let down by defender unable to defend, midfielders unable to pass, and forwards unable to score, as well as managers/coach unable to lead. 

The fact they went on a good run once the season was completely finished and they realised they needed contracts is not massively relevant. These lads have had their chances (some of them 3-4 seasons worth ) and we're no better off in league position than we were the day they signed for us.  

We deserve far better than this, Barny. Don't make excuses for a group of players who fundamentally let us down from the Kings Lynn game up until Clarke whipped them into shape. Complete abdication of their duties for some, despite the fans giving them chance after chance after chance. 

On Gibbons; an excellent young player who has a hamstring issue, and has been mismanaged in his recovery before. Oyeleke seems to have put a similar injury behind him and I have hopes that Gibbons can do the same. If you read my post, I clearly say 'if fit', which is a big if. 

Advert

3 hours ago, dishydave said:

I think it will be more like 8 or 9 first team players. For me we need 2 at centre half left back, right back, 3 midfielder's including the 2 holding ones and a couple of strikers

Spot on. Week Tuesday or Wednesday is going to be an interesting day. Expect carnage.

2 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Evolution not revolution. You could analyze the stats and pick the best player in the League for each position and sign them. Wouldn't guarantee that they would become the best team in the League. There are costs involved in signing and releasing players. 

If we bring new players in - and we will - expect a few surprises. Given his previous who would have thought Tom Conlon would become such an influential midfielder? I expect horses for courses rather than bringing in the dream team. 

If we bring new players in - and we will - expect a few surprises. Given his previous who would have thought Tom Conlon would become such an influential midfielder? I expect horses for courses rather than bringing in the dream team. 
I personally think he's always had that bit of class he just looked unfit and played a more defensive role up until last season. Maybe it's proof that you just need to give young players time to develop which is something we never seem to do. He has my vote for player of the year this season

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

The fact they went on a good run once the season was completely finished and they realised they needed contracts is not massively relevant. These lads have had their chances (some of them 3-4 seasons worth ) and we're no better off in league position than we were the day they signed for us.  

Sorry to disagree Joe but that's not correct, we were sitting one place above the relegation zone and "this lot" put a good run together to keep us up and out of the National league. Well that's how I see it. That's just my take on it.

Sorry to disagree Joe but that's not correct, we were sitting one place above the relegation zone and "this lot" put a good run together to keep us up and out of the National league. Well that's how I see it. That's just my take on it.

Which team put us in that position in the first place? Was it “this lot”?

"This lot" have put us through 4 relegation battles in 5 years.

Go nuclear this summer. Ruthlessness needed. No mercy. Release the majority.

New squad that care for the badge much as us is paramount this summer.

Should you judge a team over their form at the start of the season, their form in the middle of the season or their form at the end of the season.

I would say the best way to judge a team is their form over the whole season. We are 13th, there are 12 teams than have done better than us and 11 that have done worse.

We are at the end of the season 2 things are currently relevant. How well we have done over the whole season and how well we have done recently. A run either side of Christmas is now irrelevant.

Should you judge a team over their form at the start of the season, their form in the middle of the season or their form at the end of the season.

I would say the best way to judge a team is their form over the whole season. We are 13th, there are 12 teams than have done better than us and 11 that have done worse.

We are at the end of the season 2 things are currently relevant. How well we have done over the whole season and how well we have done recently. A run either side of Christmas is now irrelevant.

What an odd statement. That 'run' was part of the whole season so to say on the one hand that how well we have done over the whole season is relevant but that 3 in 25 run is now irrelevant just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just thick.

59 minutes ago, philmpv said:

What an odd statement. That 'run' was part of the whole season so to say on the one hand that how well we have done over the whole season is relevant but that 3 in 25 run is now irrelevant just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm just thick.

We are exactly where we should be. First quarter of the season, promotion for. Fourth  quarter, likewise. Quarters two and three, relegation form. And oddly enough, we are slap bang in the middle of the table.

I suppose for some the destination is all that matters, not the journey. I get your point but having spent half the journey stranded at Sandbach services, I've arrived very weary and annoyed.

We are exactly where we should be. First quarter of the season, promotion for. Fourth  quarter, likewise. Quarters two and three, relegation form. And oddly enough, we are slap bang in the middle of the table.

You judge a team over a season. 2012/13 we got 25 points from 17 games after the January window closed. Not bad, but just about good enough to scrape the playoffs or just miss out. That was despite a lot of expensive recruitment in the window. Lee Collins scored his most important Vale goal to belly flop us over the line. There were teams in the play-off spots who were much better than us over the last 3 months of that season but over 46 games we were the better side.

What we don't know was how much the isolations and Covid infections affected the squad and individual players. Quite a few were well off the pace when they came back, particularly Joyce and Smith. There were times when we could have looked at postponing games and didn’t. The argument in favour of what we did was it would have led to a fixture backlog. It may be that part of our recent form is due to other teams now having to play their outstanding games. Training alone in the back garden for two or three weeks mid season is no preparation for a professional footballer and 1% off peak performance is a wide margin in professional sport. Its the difference between a gold medal and being knocked out in the qualifying heats at The Olympics.

I know the club have looked at that middle of the season to try and learn some lessons. Over the last couple of seasons our overall performance has been upper mid-table. There needs to be some changes but we still have to work within a budget. We also don't have the best group and players,  nor do we have the worst. 

Some good points.

If you take the first ten and last ten PPG we win the title at a canter on 100 points, the middle 25 we are bottom.

Crazy difference!

I do feel we should of played the Covid card over Christmas when we had awful injuries and Crookes and Conlon out with the virus. We just are not or we’re not street wise enough and it’s something I imagine DC would have done differently.

Other teams did it yet we got on with it and had a bench of kids and weak XIs out.

How you analyse a season like we’ve had I’ve no idea. The gulf between the two peaks and long trough in our form is absolutely massive.

Archived