onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

11 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

You’re right seemed odd but perhaps he had decided to keep Monty and that act has blown up in his face? The fact DC was concerned so much about it speaks to me of a guy who has a player in his plans but does not want him doing that again. 

If he was just going to release him, I doubt he’d have been doing his fruit and nut. 

That's certainly one way of looking at it. He may have used this opportunity to get Montano to really think about his self discipline and to work on cutting out the dissent. But Clarke may just be wanting Monty to work on his flaws and learn a lesson but be planning to release him anyway, because that's the type of coach he is. He's not one to say "he won't be my player in a couple of weeks so I'm not bothered about improving him".

Advert

He's telling players what they want to hear if he's in the dressing room saying everyone is out of a job in August they wouldn't play for him which would put his job under pressure. He knows these players will more than likely return to form once they get a contract.

Hurst hasn't been good enough to make the the first team but has been given a two year contract. Wouldn't feel right to me if players like Joyce and Brown work hard and play week-in-week-out but get slated on here and then released. But we'll see what happens.

17 minutes ago, dishydave said:

He's telling players what they want to hear if he's in the dressing room saying everyone is out of a job in August they wouldn't play for him which would put his job under pressure. He knows these players will more than likely return to form once they get a contract.

What players do not know is have they a replacement lined up  of a better quality.  Effort on the pitch is expected, otherwise you don`t get picked on a regular basis. Equally players can perform to attract interest from other clubs.  

12 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Hurst hasn't been good enough to make the the first team but has been given a two year contract. Wouldn't feel right to me if players like Joyce and Brown work hard and play week-in-week-out but get slated on here and then released. But we'll see what happens.

Is he not work in progress though mate whereas Joyce and Brown are in the latter times of their careers ? 

7 minutes ago, Wrex said:

The  main  difference is their ages,  Hurst is seen as a prospect and probably on less money,  Brown`s age is less critical as a goalkeeper  for a year or 2 against Joyce as an outfielder whose legs may go. I think players are aware of this.

11 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I can’t believe people want us to make the same mistakes we made last summer.

I don`t think we will,  more likely to bring in 3 or 4 first teamers, carefully chosen,  than back up players.  Other incomers to be prospects. 

If fit, the only players currently at the club who should be nailed on to start are:

Gibbons

Smith

Conlon

Worrall

Rodney

I suppose if Brown is extended, then him too (although I have my doubts on retaining him).

We should be looking at half of a new starting 11 next season, imo, and a complete sort out of the backups after we release as much of this lot as we can. 

This lot also went on a run of 3 wins in 25 or so. Some Vale fans have very short term memories, or are very forgiving when it comes to players, that's all I can say. Agree with you regarding gibbons though. If his injury problems continue, I can see him being released at the end of his current contract

This lot  as you call them Joe managed to go on a 9 game unbeaten run and you include Gibbo in your nailed on to start who could end up being more of a crock than Monty !

Evolution not revolution. You could analyze the stats and pick the best player in the League for each position and sign them. Wouldn't guarantee that they would become the best team in the League. There are costs involved in signing and releasing players. 

Archived