onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

A poor defeat, but it perhaps reminds us that some of this team shouldn't be around the club next season.  I was getting worried that our recent hot streak was airbrushing people's views in to retaining some ordinary players.  If they were that good, the middle third of the season wouldn't have happened, and we would be bound for League 1.  It did, and we're not - there is a good reason for that.

I think your post is wrong, as it implies that this team has performed for 2/3 of the season. They've been crap for well over half of it.

As for today, very disappointed with the first 65 mins. The triple sub and change in formation gave us some attacking impetus, but too little too late. Joyce was very poor today, as were robinson and rodney (though that's more a criticism of the service yet again). Conlon unlucky with his shot, Pope should have scored with his free header 8 yards out, and mckirdy showed some very good touches.

Poor overall. Both teams playing for pride only, and we were found wanting for over 70 mins

Advert

Whether it was just me but I thought Devante had NO hunger at all and Whitehead was just a joke, his miskick in their area when he should have just hit it was typical of his efforts.
Amoo looked lively when he came on, as did Pope and McKirdy.
Ref was shocking their scorer Green should have been sent off he led with arm every time, but I think Legge enjoyed going through him for his booking.

Much better performance in the second half but we got exactly what we deserved after missing so many chances. This game will do nothing more than remind DC what a long way he has got to go to produce a side that can get anywhere near promotion and what a huge rebuilding job he has on his hands. Any player whose contract is up this summer will be having sleepless nights and one or two more besides, despite having contracts, given DC and DF's history of clear-outs. On today's evidence, we certainly need it. 

At the back we lack any ability to distribute the ball other than hoofing it forward, in midfield we lack the composure and power to get on the ball and control the game, and upfront we simply lack a 20 goal a season striker to put the ball away. More than enough challenges for the close season then. 

And finally a word for Rodney - a great first season, excellent coming in from wide, 11 good goals but please, please, spend the WHOLE of the summer learning how to control a ball or you'll be forever promising more than you can deliver!

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

I think your post is wrong, as it implies that this team has performed for 2/3 of the season. They've been crap for well over half of it.

As for today, very disappointed with the first 65 mins. The triple sub and change in formation gave us some attacking impetus, but too little too late. Joyce was very poor today, as were robinson and rodney (though that's more a criticism of the service yet again). Conlon unlucky with his shot, Pope should have scored with his free header 8 yards out, and mckirdy showed some very good touches.

Poor overall. Both teams playing for pride only, and we were found wanting for over 70 mins

And I think you've misread mine.  Middle third was more in terms of dates not games played, but the key point I am making is that these players are not consistently good enough. I'm delighted McKirdy showed some lovely touches, but we just lost to the worst team in the 92 teams in the league when we were on a good run.  We are either winning nearly every game or losing it - I would dearly love us to be consistent, with players who were not the next Messiah one week and rubbish the next. We won't get out of this league with these players, unless it is in the direction Grimsby have just gone.

For me, this is Vale in a nutshell. Win 8 out of 9, get people enthusiastic about the future and then the weekend of the season ticket renewals put in a p!ss poor performance and lose to the bottom of the table, already relegated side. Every. Single. Time.

24 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Hope the Vale appeal against this Red.  Stupid Ref making it all about him.  

They have been battering the Vale players and got nothing.  

You can’t appeal against 2 yellow cards.

18 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

But the fact that we didn't have the guile or energy to come back at them when they have just been relegated from the league sends a clear message I think....

Grimsby playing with the pressure off, not the bottom team based on the last 10 matches  including beating Bolton at home, but what went on  before put them on the bottom.  Poor game with a give away goal, and showing our lack of scoring ability.

17 minutes ago, MiketheValiant said:

In some ways they've done to Vale what Vale have done to a few teams the past month or so. Score against the run of play and then just defend like mad, break up the play and run down the clock.

Which games did that happen???

6 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Grimsby playing with the pressure off, not the bottom team based on the last 10 matches  including beating Bolton at home, but what went on  before put the on the bottom.  Poor game with a give away goal, and showing our lack of scoring ability.

Fair enough Fosse, but I'm looking at the bigger picture - we can pretend Grimsby aren't all that bad and there were extenuating circumstances, nothing to play for, pressure off etc.  But professional pride is something to play for, as is rewarding our owner who has backed these players with her own money and must be wondering when the real Port Vale will stand up.  Yes, we gave them a head start, but I go back to the point that we very rarely come back from being a goal down when this happens because these players are not good enough as a group.  Some decent ones in there, but a lot of dead wood that needs to be released.  Today we might have not had the run of the green, the pitch was bobbly, the ref was crap, but we still lost to what the table shows is the worst team the league, regardless of their last 10 games.

Well I thought we passed the ball better than we had in some of our previous wins ,we created chances we deserved score really but you know you have one of them days not helped by giving them  a goal well taken by the lad in all fairness .

Not too disappointed a dead rubber just hope next week all the chances we missed this week we put away v Mansfield 4 -0 Victor's of us I'd like see a very harsh scoreline given to them 

UTV 

Archived