onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ifollow

philmpv

Following on from a comment made in another thread, what are our thoughts on the extent of ifollow access that should be available once fans are allowed back into grounds?

If there remains any restrictions on the number of fans that can attend, I'm firmly of the view that unfettered ifollow access should remain as it currently is. That's only right in my view, so that all those who want to watch the games can, and the Club will maintain another income stream.

The bigger conundrum is when there are no restrictions on numbers. Do we really believe that unrestricted access in those circumstances will materially affect attendances? I'm dubious that it would. You'll get the odd few who decide to stream it when they otherwise would have gone, obviously but, by the same token, you'll get some paying and streaming when they would not have gone to the game anyway (so the Club wouldn't have got any income from those fans but for the stream). Another factor is that, even when all fans can return to grounds, there will be some who are too frightened to gather in such large numbers (I can see this being the case for a few years at least). Why should they miss out?

As for away games, I can't see any strong argument for all of these not being available to the away fans (though I appreciate the logistical difficulties in distinguishing between home and away fans at the point of purchase).

Isn't it Sky who hold the rights to all EFL games? So it's not the Club's decision.

Thoughts?

Advert

The basics of televised football has to be considered. Apart from the Premier League which has a few points to ponder of its own at present, football is mainly played on Saturday afternoon at 15.00. Thus no matches are allowed to be broadcast within the UK to avoid any effects on attendances. Any changes would need to be agreed by the major leagues within the UK, and contracts with broadcasters made. As to the options, there is a market for away game viewing, viewing of home games by fans outside the district which would not affect the attendance. How would it be managed? There are more options available outside Saturday afternoons. Of immediate interest will be the rate of attendance allowed due to Covid, some compromise may be agreed.

I totally agree that the ifollow system should be available for all league games regardless of attendance. I doubt many would switch from ground to online if they were serious about going VP, and those who can't afford a matchday ticket and would just not go could still watch and benefit the club financially. People living abroad could maintain a connection with the club, the fanbase strengthens and more eyes are on the matches.

Would we not lose revenue if this remained?

Fans that might prefer to watch at home for £10, compared to going to the ground for £20?

Maybe the iFollow prices should match the ticket prices, then clubs don't lose out? (okay maybe they might lose some pie/beer/programme money)

I see the argument for both sides.

Would we not lose revenue if this remained?
Fans that might prefer to watch at home for £10, compared to going to the ground for £20?

That's the big question isn't it? I don't think anybody can say either way. Perhaps a 6 month trial involving a select few clubs would be the best way to determine this?

My thoughts are that after spending a good 290 to 300 this season on ifollow games ,as long  as purchasing a ten game ticket for me and my lad before season that it has being after a dodgy start (that's ifollow not me )that the service has being on the whole fantastic ,because otherwise I wouldnt have being able to assess the performances and give my thoughts on the games I've watched which is majority as i do not agree with commentary at times (its like they are watching a different game ).

I'd like this service remain forever because when we are out of lockdown I have a wonderful woman who likes to go away at weekends and I get nip off a few hrs pay watch the Vale and not ruin the much loved break  

I love it .

Good post. 

Some people for whatever reason might be reluctant to go back. Personally I can't wait but others might feel nervous or have health issues. 

With regards to the away days, you can't beat that buzz of say a Walsall sell out or Crewe etc but say it's a Crawley on a Tuesday night I'd more than likely purchase the game.

Pros and cons whichever way you look at it. For example someone might bring 38 on a cold Tuesday night but 200 might pay on ifollow. 

You still can't beat actually being there and the worrying thing is that Saturday Tuesday has now become a ritual I want to snap out of . 

Beer, chocolate,match, beer, takeaway. 

I'd rather be with my friends and beer, beer, beer 🍺 🙂

20 minutes ago, philmpv said:

That's the big question isn't it? I don't think anybody can say either way. Perhaps a 6 month trial involving a select few clubs would be the best way to determine this?

I think you have to be careful aswell as theres a lot of free loaders amongst many fanbases like for example a lad buying the game for tonight and broadcasting it free to 300 freeloaders who have given Vale this season (not all but some ) diddly squat is not good for the club we do not have enough money coming in the club to allow folk watch all games for free so then I think there should be no broadcasting as these people should surely be able have 10 pounds to give the Vale .

So great for a follower like me but abused by others and that's not on eventhough the lad who's doing it has a heart of gold for doing it .

Misguided 

UTV 

Maybe some sort of "proof" to show you live far away / abroad / couldn't possibly attend for some reason but still want to watch. Would be hard to manage and open to abuse.

Lets be honest they're just going to revert to the old system but I'm sure a mix of both is possible.

4 minutes ago, 1 said:

Maybe some sort of "proof" to show you live far away / abroad / couldn't possibly attend for some reason but still want to watch. Would be hard to manage and open to abuse.

Lets be honest they're just going to revert to the old system but I'm sure a mix of both is possible.

Location of your internet or mobile could be identified and broadcast only allowed outside a certain range? The big question is will there be enough  extra broadcast customers to offset fans who prefer to watch online instead of attending? Not the Super League where overseas income exceeds gate money ?

I signed up for ifollow a couple of months ago (Cheltenham was first game - yikes!!!). A few weeks ago, I go an email from the EFL asking to take part in a survey on the ifollow service. A couple of the questions from memory were along the lines of:

a. going forward, would I be interested in a monthly subscription to watch the team I support

b. would I be interested in a subscription to watch all teams in the league of the team I support (or something like that)

bit of food for thought!!!

I'm an exiled Valiant and I've had a season ticket with iFollow since its inception. The opening season it had no commentary and I quite liked it but it has grown and matured and I couldn't be without it.

There is a form of checking if you are overseas or not based on ip addresses I think? If I have inadvertently left my VPN on I cannot access the game, (until this year, that is). when I think of the years I have lived abroad, 15, and following Vale on BBC text.....iFollow is a Godsend and I still feel like a proper supporter......especially when I come on here and can comment on what I've seen.

I’d like it to carry on as I live in the South East and cannot get to every home game. Generally I saw about 8-10 home games and at least the same away.

Seeing them all for the first time since I had a proper season ticket in oooh 2007/08 has been awesome. 

If had the choice I would do it again and it would not reduce me going to the ground. 

Like Clinton, I've had it from the get go. Living abroad I wouldn't be going anyway, so it's extra income for the club and lets us get to see the games, It has it's moments, but generally it's good. Pity they removed those goal and card symbols so you could easily go back and watch the incidents again. A sort of do it yourself replay facility. It didn't have replays for the first few seasons.

I don't really think it would affect attendances much. You don't get the crack of being actually at the game. If I lived in Stoke I'd be there. 

Also quite interesting how sometimes the commentary does  not seem to reflect the game you are actually watching.

Also wonder why RS don't have it, for looking at replays for games they are at. Are they to mean to pay a tenner, or is there no WiFi? (Must be because MB does his live blog).

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

Like Clinton, I've had it from the get go. Living abroad I wouldn't be going anyway, so it's extra income for the club and lets us get to see the games, It has it's moments, but generally it's good. Pity they removed those goal and card symbols so you could easily go back and watch the incidents again. A sort of do it yourself replay facility. It didn't have replays for the first few seasons.

I don't really think it would affect attendances much. You don't get the crack of being actually at the game. If I lived in Stoke I'd be there. 

Also quite interesting how sometimes the commentary does  not seem to reflect the game you are actually watching.

Also wonder why RS don't have it, for looking at replays for games they are at. Are they to mean to pay a tenner, or is there no WiFi? (Must be because MB does his live blog).

Same....if I was in the UK I'd be at VP and away games.......if the Mamsahib allowed it, of course! 

Interesting Toyahw, your thoughts are very similar to mine. In fact, I often say to the Missus...."Are they watching the same game as me? That was for a foul on Gibbo or whatever...."

Anyrode......I'll be on it tonight...lets hope for 3 points although I wonder how these changes will affect the run!

UTV

Archived