Match Thread: Port Vale v Bradford City

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

So in your world the players bear no or are absolved of all responsibility for their own performances for the majority of this season? So by the same token you will lay the good season we had last year solely at the feet of JA?

Sentiment at the back end of last season, under JA, was very similar to how it is now.  That there was much to look forward to for the following season.  it's difficult to understand what went so badly wrong as the same group of players had no issue playing well under JA at the back end of last season, and into early this season.

Hopefully we can sustain this improvement into the whole of next season this time.

• Like 3

Advert:

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Bill, I apologise if I’ve jinxed it for you. Earlier in the season I’d have had us for over 1.5 goals in the game but have recently turned against that bet

Totally understand. I'll take the 2-1 win with  good grace and a smile!

Another tremendous battling display the amount of times I was clapping players for doing the ugly side ,well they did a lot of it and it was very pleasing .

Also to be 1 down to a well worked goal and respond the way we did was terrific .

Felt we passed the ball better today as well and let's face it apart from a mis hit shot second half what Browny saved they were not getting any joy in any way the only thing I expected was Vale score another .

Brilliant So well done all the players on a deserved win 

• Like 4

Is it just me or was that win ever in doubt?

Amazing turnaround from the team. The work rate is unbelievable and Leon Legge just never misses a header does he? Conlon is a class in midfield and I would be very surprised if we manage to keep him over the summer. He really has shown he could and should be playing in L1.

To be honest I feel more pissed off with the squad that they really let themselves down this season when they had a great opportunity this season and blew it.

• Like 2

Advert:

I think that's what is irritating me so much, particularly the closer we get to the play offs. This squad is clearly capable of doing it and, but for the complete meltdown midseason, we would probably have done it. For reasons none of us will ever know, the players decided that they wanted a change and downed tools to facilitate that, at the cost of the play offs. Blame JAs tactics all you want, but tactics, at least to me, don't excuse any players for not making challenges, not running, making idiotic tackles (primarily Joyce and Legge), and failing to give 100% (as they're clearly now doing). We deserved more but, especially, so did Carol and Kevin. I'm finding it difficult to forgive this squad because of that

Sentiment at the back end of last season, under JA, was very similar to how it is now.  That there was much to look forward to for the following season.  it's difficult to understand what went so badly wrong as the same group of players had no issue playing well under JA at the back end of last season, and into early this season.
Hopefully we can sustain this improvement into the whole of next season this time.
  • Like 3

At the end of the day we have a proper manager who knows how to get the best out of the players he has. One who can change formations to combat any team and enthusiasm to encourage the players to do better.

All this recent success is down to the manager and in turn Carol! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, philmpv said:

I think that's what is irritating me so much, particularly the closer we get to the play offs. This squad is clearly capable of doing it and, but for the complete meltdown midseason, we would probably have done it. For reasons none of us will ever know, the players decided that they wanted a change and downed tools to facilitate that, at the cost of the play offs. Blame JAs tactics all you want, but tactics, at least to me, don't excuse any players for not making challenges, not running, making idiotic tackles (primarily Joyce and Legge), and failing to give 100% (as they're clearly now doing). We deserved more but, especially, so did Carol and Kevin. I'm finding it difficult to forgive this squad because of that

Did JA ever try wingbacks? The key to this form has been the 3-5-2 which suits the players we have. Maybe if he hadn’t been so stubborn in playing 4-3-3, he would still be in a job. 

I’m chuffed we now have a manger who can mix up formations and playing style. Darrell Clarke’s barmy army!!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, rider1308 said:

We’ve gone on a g8 run but I’m still gutted. I said all a long JA wasn’t good enough and got a load of abuse for saying so !!! Also Im not happy with how long it took the powers that be to finally realise and agree. Where would we be now if they’d acted sooner !!!!! 

Sorry, but 12 months ago JA was being hailed as a great manager. None of us could have imaged what was to happen - I for one couldn't anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, llcoolj said:

If only we hadn't dithered after sacking Askey

Yep, this set of results + January fixtures + transfer window under Flitcroft and DC = Playoffs.

• Like 1

Advert:

57 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Workmanlike performance by Vale, defense were excellent.

DF/DC have some serious thinking to do, particularly who to let go/keep.

There’s a clear tiered system at Vale, and I really think it’ll be down to who he’s able to release, not who he wants to keep.

There’s a clear tiered system at Vale, and I really think it’ll be down to who he’s able to release, not who he wants to keep.
Excuse me for being thick, but what do you mean by that? Are you saying that decisions on retentions will be above his pay grade?

Advert:

1 hour ago, philmpv said:
1 hour ago, 1 said:

Excuse me for being thick, but what do you mean by that? Are you saying that decisions on retentions will be above his pay grade?

I mean there’s players at the top of the tree we’d definitely want to keep / extend, and players that DC will want to get rid of and I doubt there’s any real surprises in there or any players many fans would disagree with. I think the only issue he’ll have is whether he’ll be able to move on the players he doesn’t want. Though he’s extended Hurst so that theory may be completely wrong. I imagine the retained list will be released not long at all after Mansfield.