onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Barrow v Port Vale

Fosse69

I don't know what he will do but I really don't want DC to trust in this group again for a fifth year, largely. That trust placed in them by JA and NA was misplaced. At the end of the day, we've had one good season in four. They've had their chance

Being a permanent fully paid up member of the pessimists club am I right in worrying about how we move  forward, does DC do what he has a reputation for and make wholesale changes for next seasons squad or does he just tweak this group ?
It is a conundrum, because this group of players were serial losers, not that long ago virtually every man and his dog thought there should be a mass clear out, now the picture is completely different, will DC throw the nearly completed jigsaw in the air and start again, or have this squad shown with a bit of tweaking we could have a very good side at this level.
I've no idea what the answer is but this close season is going to be fascinating.

Advert

6 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Being a permanent fully paid up member of the pessimists club am I right in worrying about how we move  forward, does DC do what he has a reputation for and make wholesale changes for next seasons squad or does he just tweak this group ?

It is a conundrum, because this group of players were serial losers, not that long ago virtually every man and his dog thought there should be a mass clear out, now the picture is completely different, will DC throw the nearly completed jigsaw in the air and start again, or have this squad shown with a bit of tweaking we could have a very good side at this level.

I've no idea what the answer is but this close season is going to be fascinating.

Kick-off next season with largely the winning team, replacements will have to earn their shirts. Not that it concerns me I will leave it to those with coaching qualifications to fill in the detail. Hopefully Swan will be included.

Loved DCs post match interview... he has the whole place humming and you can see the lads are bought in even in the difficult position of knowing not all of them will be here next year.

For him to have taken that relegation threatened bunch of players and turn them into a unit capable of playing his flexible formation football whilst scrapping and fighting is deserved of massive praise.

I'm glad to see we've stopped blaming the green kit for our losses, too!! 

I mentioned Tom Conlon setting himself for his first goal - did you notice him adjust his feet for the second? Very good reading of the game, and quick reflexes. Has flourished since being made captain!

Wow what two absolute superb finishes from Tom Conlon both worthy of winning any game .

That was a battle in half ,how physical are Barrow I'd say they were extremely violent in there work but our class shone through with Scott Brown making sure they weren't getting a goal back with two terrific saves .

As for individuals I felt that to a man every Vale player (starter and subs )battled gamely throughout .

That was not easy you can see why Barrow were winning games they have a commitment which is bordering on thuggery ,however last night they come across a team who can scrap with the best now that every player  is happy in there work so to speak and it shows .

Here's my Mark's feel free to disagree. 

Brown 8 two smashing saves and thats a deserved 5th clean sheet in a row a hard earned one .

Smith 8 outstanding again .

Legge 8 up against a brute but eventually the brute disappeared as he was put in his place by our excellent 3 at the back .

Brisley 8 brilliant again ok I wish he would pass to a Vale player more often but his defensive positioning is outstanding and never shirks a challenge great watch.

Montano 7 should have scored when burst through first half but you know he stood up the very up for it Barrow winger ,I like Monty he is great  

Burgess 7 blocking shots doing the dirty side of game I thought the lad did good and I'm glad he did .

Conlon 9 that first goal a volley from very far wow great goal and the second goal after great work from Brown goal kick to Pope who flicked on superbly for young Swann to force the ball to be defended and who's on to it ,Captain porthill pirlo to put it in  the net superbly.

Fought for every ball too my man of the match .

Worrall 7 a good nights work from the lad. 

Guthrie 6 put effort in but didnt link the play as he can ,booked and taken off needs do better .

Cullen 5 taken off no idea if injured Conlons whipped a fantastic free kick in first half felt he should have headed it home .

Subs Whitehead 6 he did ok nothing flash and played his part in the win like everyone else .

Pope 6 big part in second goal ,worked his socks off and unsettled the Barrow giants .

Swann 8 gave us the x factor up front this lad will go far in the game,linked the play got involved and looked a very very very good player .

UTV 

Typical that this was one of the few games I’ve missed and Conlon produces a strike like that.

Loved Clarke’s interview... “ugly, scrap, anything to win football matches”, because with the greatest respective, that’s how it will be when you go away from home in this league. 

If we finished on 60 points+ you have got to say well done to DC because after the calamitous run of, what, 3 wins in 25 (?) it was hard to see where the next goal was coming from let alone point. Cheltenham away was, I think, the watershed moment.

I’m not getting too carried away with next season just yet, we all know what a poor Summer can do. This season will have fallen short of expectations. The last few games have shown we are as good as anyone in this league. If we can put six in at Bolton we shouldn’t have been worrying about potentially dropping into non-league.

I do feel more confident we will get it right next time round as DC does not strike me as the sentimental type when it comes to dishing out contracts, but time will tell. He has also shown he can improve players, with noticeable gains in the likes of Mills and Crookes plus Conlon now on at a level whereby I can’t imagine him not being in the team.

I hope we can dish out a couple of spankings next year (e.g. Walsall, Stevenage, Barrow, Newport, Scunny, Tranny) en route to the title!

Yes looking at Conlons second how quick he sorted his feet out before lashing it home was a joy to behold! If we can play like this next season we should walk this league. We really need to be out of this shocking division how Barrow can get away with there tactics is unbelievable.

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

You couldn’t hear it last night because of the commentary but someone, presumebly Clarke, shouted ‘TIME, TOM!’ as he hit it and ‘BRILLIANT TOM’ as it arced over the penalty spot 

Speaking of which, this version has a goal cam angle at the end  - check out the swerve on that bstard

Also 

Hope these absolute scumbags go down next season. Don’t need another Westley style gang of rats in the football league ruining games. 

tweet deleted - it was a video of an egregious dive, faking injury until looking up, seeing the ref wasn't interested and immediately relenting, while 5/6 others crowd the referee demanding a pen. 

Having gone to bed last night with a really good, warm feeling......just the result, I promise, my reflections this morning are these.

That was one of the best wins of this run. Bear with me; - short on class but so big on heart and grit and determination not to be pushed, shoved and intimidated by one of the worst alehouse performances I've seen all season and I've watched every game. That display last night was reminiscent of promotion winning teams......wouldn't take <ovf censored> from anybody and found a way to win comfortably.

I was one of the people who thought it didn't matter whoever we got in to manage we still had this bunch of players. However, what DC has done with them is incredible and if he can do this with this squad JUST WHAT is he capable of when he brings in who he wants in the summer? A couple of strikers who know where the net is, a couple of attacking, skilful midfielders, another holding mid to perhaps share the load with Joycey. (I'm with Chris Birchall on this....Joycey is SO underrated and maligned on here. I see mistakes but I see a good pro going about his job quietly every week. Next season he may need more resting but......in DC we trust!) I also think there has to be some competition for Leggey and Brizz but how they have turned it round!!!!! (Leggey's defensive heading and mastery of "superstar" Quigley were awesome, again, last night.) Brizz and Smiffy make up a horrible trio keeping clean sheets for fun and what about Smiffy's attacking wanders the last few weeks....Der Madeley Kaiser?

Last night would have been so easy to switch off and just coast and that would have been horrible against that Dog and Duck XI so to see them get stuck in like that was uplifting.

I know, I know.......the excitement is building again.....must keep a lid on it etc.....BUT I was massively impressed with last nights performance and the general aura about the place from top down.

Archived