onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Barrow v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

16 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Quigley seemed to have some sort of humungous chip on his shoulder tonight, almost Theo Vassell like when he went OTT at Macc away. 

I thought Quigley did what you'd want a big centreforward to do last night. Got himself into space, put himself and ran the channels.  Whether he does that every week, or just against us, I've no idea. Probably their best player. If he does that week in, week out (13 in 32 is not bad) I'd happily swop him for any of our forwards except Rodney. Looked a much improved player than when we had him.

15 hours ago, philmpv said:

I don't know what he will do but I really don't want DC to trust in this group again for a fifth year, largely. That trust placed in them by JA and NA was misplaced. At the end of the day, we've had one good season in four. They've had their chance

You don't go to the great lengths we have to implement a new structure with DOF and manager only to keep it all the same the following season. DF & DC will want to put their own stamp on the team and squad.That can only come with a big turnaround of players.

17 hours ago, Beech said:

I've given Guthrie more than a hard time since he joined us but if I had to choose, I'd take him over Cullen. Perhaps with a decent pre-season behind him and some confidence that comes with scoring one or two goals, even in friendlies, then he could be useful as one of a three of four forwards in the squad.

I dont think Guthrie or Cullen will be here next season

4 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I dont think Guthrie or Cullen will be here next season

Yeah, I don't see it either. But as much stick as I've given Guthrie during his time here, most of it fully justified in my opinion, I'd take him over Cullen if I had I had to choose. Cullen just looks finished to me.

Seems forever ago when he looked sharp and scored two goals on the opening day of the season.

6 minutes ago, Beech said:

Yeah, I don't see it either. But as much stick as I've given Guthrie during his time here, most of it fully justified in my opinion, I'd take him over Cullen if I had I had to choose. Cullen just looks finished to me.

Seems forever ago when he looked sharp and scored two goals on the opening day of the season.

Have to be honest and say Cullen i have never really taken to and could never understand the clamour for him to play

1 hour ago, MBE said:

You don't go to the great lengths we have to implement a new structure with DOF and manager only to keep it all the same the following season. DF & DC will want to put their own stamp on the team and squad.That can only come with a big turnaround of players.

Their responsibilities also extend to making the best use of players already at the club, are they as  useful as those available elsewhere, ages and budgets being considered.  Their stamp is already on the squad as emphasised with the current form,  not far off a grafting promotion team with a few  class additions.  What I am also expecting is players for development into L1 standard to replace those within the squad not capable of that.  DCs mass clear out at Bristol Rovers was of a squad relegated to the National League, we don`t need 15 players, could well be impossible due to existing contracts and squad limitation 20/25. Season 2022/23 may be different dependent on development progress.

Conlon`s big kick gave me a flash back to his great-grandfathers goal kicks.  George Heppell was the Vale goalie after WW2, quite often a full back had to take his goal kicks for him when his kicking foot was troubling him.  Schoolboy chat was toenails lost in the war. 

21 hours ago, philmpv said:

I don't know what he will do but I really don't want DC to trust in this group again for a fifth year, largely. That trust placed in them by JA and NA was misplaced. At the end of the day, we've had one good season in four. They've had their chance

That's harsh - a good few of these haven't been here 5 years!

5 are in their 4th season, and an additional 5 in their 3rd. Whichever way you look at it, nearly an entire starting 11 (most of whom start every week and most would say is our best 10) have flirted with relegation at least twice. Not good enough for me, I'm afraid

17 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

5 are in their 4th season, and an additional 5 in their 3rd. Whichever way you look at it, nearly an entire starting 11 have flirted with relegation at least twice. Not good enough for me, I'm afraid

Well - that's a little climbdown...thank you...from 5 years! But, if a player we have now is as good as one we could bring in, do you go and do that or stick with what you know? Can't compare this team under JA with this team under DC! If we'd drawn just 5 of those 18 games we lost - and we could have done that and probably would the way we're playing now - we would be 0n 67 points, in 5th place and in touching distance of 4th!

Well - that's a little climbdown...thank you...from 5 years! But, if a player we have now is as good as one we could bring in, do you go and do that or stick with what you know? Can't compare this team under JA with this team under DC! If we'd drawn just 5 of those 18 games we lost - and we could have done that and probably would the way we're playing now - we would be 0n 67 points, in 5th place and in touching distance of 4th!

That's the point though isn't it. I've said before that we can't approach it like we have done before (that certain players who have been involved in 2 or 3 relegation battles are our 'first choice'). We need to seek to better each and every position, not just look to sign back up players that are on a par with what we have. With the new drive on proper recruitment, I really hope that we'll have a completely different approach. You say that we can't compare this team under JA with DC, but JA had us virtually in the play offs last season, which led to many (including myself) to trust that they would do the same again. That obviously didn't happen and went horribly wrong, so forgive me if I've lost trust in this group, particularly now that a lot of them are on their 3rd permanent manager, and their 4th manager if you include Pughs caretaker period. 5 of them are on their 5th! Just my opinion

I always thought the team lacked a bit of steel and mental toughness, however I wonder if it is down to the management. We have most certainly got a bit tougher under DC so yes we need a bit more quality in the squad, as to wholesale I am not now so sure. Like many more on here I struggle to forget some of the abysmal and truly shocking performances mid season.

DC has shown us the way forward so I put my faith in him and the management team to improve the squad and hopefully take us to better things. There is no way on this earth our mid season blip would have happened under DC without a lot of blood being spilt.

On 20/04/2021 at 20:01, bycars rob said:

If it went to a vote I reckon they would be gone again, horrible side,

If i remember right the bottom four clubs in Division  4 had to apply for re-election to the league. All league clubs had a vote. Teams like Barrow and Workington struggled for votes because of their location. Crewe had to apply several times but because of their location and how easy it was to get there they always got back in.

Archived