Rumour Manny off to Chesterfield ?

A month or so ago I'd have said this was a no brainer.  His fitness record with us is, frankly, unacceptable. 

He's on a really good run now though and it looks like we may have turned a corner with and are getting him up to the level required to play a good number of games.

Not so long back, getting a full 90 minutes out of him looked wishful thinking.

I'd actually be disappointed now if he did leave as I'd love to see us get a season out of him.

It's an if, of course, but Clarke seems to be doing well with him.

18 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

You’re so short sighted and I get the feeling you aren’t going to like the retained list in a couple of weeks

Thanks for your insight so you have had your daily allowance of carrots as you sight is allegedly better than mine .

It's a opinion to be honest DC and DF will do what's right for the club which is more important than my views or any one elses .

I'm quite happy to let the professionals sort out who's going to help Port Vale football club move forwards and on to better things .

I am a follower ,I do not go all the games if get chance ,nor do I wish too but Port Vale is special to me spent many a 90 minute encouraging them at home and away (occassionally)and I think Manny Oyeleke has helped us maintain league football and was in my opinion till sat when he was reckless and maybe had his mind on other things being pivotal in keeping the Vales league status so I thank him I just wonder if DC and his excellent brought in staff could have made him a even better player a player worth a few quid to the club who has payed him well while his misfortune has ruled him out (sometimes through own making I believe).

UTV 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your insight so you have had your daily allowance of carrots as you sight is allegedly better than mine .
It's a opinion to be honest DC and DF will do what's right for the club which is more important than my views or any one elses .
I'm quite happy to let the professionals sort out who's going to help Port Vale football club move forwards and on to better things .
I am a follower ,I do not go all the games if get chance ,nor do I wish too but Port Vale is special to me spent many a 90 minute encouraging them at home and away (occassionally)and I think Manny Oyeleke has helped us maintain league football and was in my opinion till sat when he was reckless and maybe had his mind on other things being pivotal in keeping the Vales league status so I thank him I just wonder if DC and his excellent brought in staff could have made him a even better player a player worth a few quid to the club who has payed him well while his misfortune has ruled him out (sometimes through own making I believe).
UTV 
I think there's something in what you say. Maybe, with better motivation and fitness management, we could see a lot more from Manny. As you also say, I'm happy to let DC/DF make the decision which is best for PVFC.

34 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

Shame but he hasn`t stayed fit enough. Probably the only midfielder who can unlock a defence at the moment in our squad. Hopefully we can find a better more reliable replacement.  

Difficult one. Perhaps something has shown on all the physical tests the new fitness guys have run? Talented lad, no brainer when fit to stay, problem is he hasn't been fit for long enough.

I think getting 10k for an injury prone footballer who is 29 this year is good business. As much as i like him as a player if you only average 15 games a season then you are never going to get value for money. 6 game spells here and there are no good to PVFC especially as some of those games he is having to build up to match fitness. All our over 21 players next season need to be available for selection for at least 3/4 of the fixtures. We have 50+ games in a season we can't risk having players who cannot play only a fraction of those games.

• Like 2

If true it's a disappointing but understandable decision. Manny gives us something we don't get from any other midfielder and is a class player at this level but we all know his injury record. I'm just glad he isn't moving to another League Two club.

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

A month or so ago I'd have said this was a no brainer.  His fitness record with us is, frankly, unacceptable. 

He's on a really good run now though and it looks like we may have turned a corner with and are getting him up to the level required to play a good number of games.

Not so long back, getting a full 90 minutes out of him looked wishful thinking.

I'd actually be disappointed now if he did leave as I'd love to see us get a season out of him.

It's an if, of course, but Clarke seems to be doing well with him.

I wonder what the Chesterfield manager James Rowe  knows,  he was the Asst Manager for Manny`s last season at Aldershot  44 appearances and Player of the Year.  I assume he is aware of his subsequent history, but still thinks it is worth the gamble.

Perhaps Clarke is being truthful and he's still not decided on most of the out of contract players. But if he's playing Manny to see his performances and if he can stay fit until the end of the season, only to have Manny knock on his door and say "I've had a decent contract offer from Chesterfield and want to take it" then I can imagine Clarke saying "okay, you can go".

He'll want players committed to the club and Manny might have made his mind up for him.

Alternatively, he'd already decided Manny and a number of others would be gone in the summer and is happy to help them get fixed up with new clubs.

If true, this seems (on the surface at least, without knowing what conversations have taken place) somewhat illogical to me. Players of his quality are only ever at league 2 level for a handful of reasons; release from prem/champ academy, late developer up through non-league, youth team product, inconsistent or injury-prone.

Getting the most out of players from these different groups requires having all the right elements of infrastructure in place, which for players like Manny in the final group means the necessary fitness/conditioning/rehab resources.

To carry him and pay his wages for three years without having those resources in place, then let him go for tuppence when we finally have them, (and they already seem to be paying dividends if this run is anything to go by), doesn't add up to me.

29 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I wonder what the Chesterfield manager James Rowe  knows,  he was the Asst Manager for Manny`s last season at Aldershot  44 appearances and Player of the Year.  I assume he is aware of his subsequent history, but still thinks it is worth the gamble.

On the other hand,that was only the second time he played more than a handful of games in a season and he was in his mid 20’s. I’d love for a fit manny to stay. I’m confident our management team aren’t stupid and can see that a fit manny is a starter for us (which he is doing), but they have to be confident that he is up to it. 

If true it's a disappointing but understandable decision. Manny gives us something we don't get from any other midfielder and is a class player at this level but we all know his injury record. I'm just glad he isn't moving to another League Two club.

Should be able to find a similar midfielder who can play more regularly than Manny has managed

1 hour ago, mbycars said:

I think getting 10k for an injury prone footballer who is 29 this year is good business. As much as i like him as a player if you only average 15 games a season then you are never going to get value for money. 6 game spells here and there are no good to PVFC especially as some of those games he is having to build up to match fitness. All our over 21 players next season need to be available for selection for at least 3/4 of the fixtures. We have 50+ games in a season we can't risk having players who cannot play only a fraction of those games.

I would agree with that @mbycars especially if squad limits are in place next season. Even if it's 25 players it's a risk to have too many injury prone players in there, if it's 20 men squads then even more so.

I know this is especially harsh but he's not even managed six 90 minute spells in his recent run of six straight matches. On Saturday he was off on 28 minutes and in two of the other games he was taken off on the hour mark. 

He's clearly a good player when fit, it's just a question of how often he will remain fit.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Clayts said:

If true, this seems (on the surface at least, without knowing what conversations have taken place) somewhat illogical to me. Players of his quality are only ever at league 2 level for a handful of reasons; release from prem/champ academy, late developer up through non-league, youth team product, inconsistent or injury-prone.

Getting the most out of players from these different groups requires having all the right elements of infrastructure in place, which for players like Manny in the final group means the necessary fitness/conditioning/rehab resources.

To carry him and pay his wages for three years without having those resources in place, then let him go for tuppence when we finally have them, (and they already seem to be paying dividends if this run is anything to go by), doesn't add up to me.

My take on this is that now we have those resources in place they maybe can say with a high degree of accuracy that he will never get back to playing 40 games a season.

We have had a number of years now where we have taken these gambles and they haven't paid off because we don't have the right people making informed decisions.

We now have the set up... so lets trust its decisions.

To build it and then not trust it because we don't like the feel of its first decision would be counter productive.

Edited by Iron Curtain
  • Like 3

I love Manny as a player and a bloke.  In an ideal world I'd give him another contract and keep my fingers crossed that he stayed fit.  But we have to be realistic.  Manny is 28.  He made his league debut for Brentford nearly ten years ago.  Since then he has started 51 League games and made 14 sub appearances.  In total, counting all his games in the National League as well, he has started 127 games with 30 as sub.

With reduced squads of over 21s next season I don't think we can afford to take the risk on him.  History suggests he will break down again at some point.  I'd loved a miracle to happen and he suddenly becomes the fittest lad in the squad but it just ain't going to happen.

If Vale were to sign a bloke in June with Manny's career stats and injury record, this forum would combust.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I’m also very fond of Manny and I think the fact that it looks like he might get another contract somewhere is testament to his quality when playing. I had been thinking a contract that was heavily tied to appearances was the way to go, but on reflection, the squad numbers issue alters that dynamic. Even if he was costing nowt in wages, we need every squad place filled with much less njury prone players.  I think the fitness and conditioning thing is overplayed. Don’t forget we invested in a do or die operation for him last season and it didn’t seem to come off. If he plays 90 mins for each of the remaining games I’d be tempted to reconsider - which still might not be wise. I would wish him all the very best (except against us) and that he gets as many games as possible from now on but I think it’s time for us to move on.

• Like 1