• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Rumour Manny off to Chesterfield ?

JohnJames

27 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Cannot argue with the decision to let Manny go. But I do worry for Saturday because he was our best midfielder, when he was fit.

I’m not worried now we’re safe. Even though I do agree he will be a loss as he was performing well in the winning streak of games. It’s a big chance for a squad player to come in and show the gaffer that he deserves to be a part of his squad for next season. Probably will be Jake Taylor. So it’s a big chance to see if he can step up and take the chance or it could be curtains for him as well even though he’s sitting on a long contract. 

Advert:

Manny is a very decent player on his day at our level, but simply to injury prone. As they say not economically viable !!!! The club can’t afford the risk, can see a lot of other clubs being more diligent when it comes to similar players irrelevant how good they are when that occasionally play. 

Guest Vale at home
On 14/04/2021 at 19:56, tommytunstall said:

Cannot argue with the decision to let Manny go. But I do worry for Saturday because he was our best midfielder, when he was fit.

Yes .I do agree . 

Advert:

Hardly overwhelming. In any event, ignoring the comparison altogether, monty has played just 41% of the minimum minutes we have played across 4 seasons. That's shocking in itself

15% is quite a sizable chunk of the season. I think it is unfair to put them in the same category.

As someone has said previously Monty also hasn't always been selected when fit. Manny on the other hand has generally always been picked when fit, his few appearances from the bench generally being when returning from injury.

Others have mentioned Manny's injuries being partially in his head. I'm not so sure of this and I would say Montano's injuries sometimes appear to be more mental than physical.

I always remember Monty limping off minutes into the second half of a game after Aspin had made all 3 subs at half time.

Their ate arguments for and against both players but I don't think it is fair to say that they have similar injury records.

One thing that is pretty obvious is that we are a better team with them in the side than without.

We need to hope that our management team have got plenty of exceptional irons in the fire if we are to have the mass clear out everyone seems to want.

It is difficult enough to fill 4 or 5 positions with missing out on targets, most seem to want us to fill 9 or 10.

On 17/04/2021 at 10:27, Eddie Ford said:

We have two people in DC & DF that have a wealth of experience & contacts and will easily fill the void of a mass clear out which is needed. It’s 2 managers with contacts not just the one like the rest of the league.

DC & DF also traditionally have always had mass clear outs to build there own team.

Just because we have just won 6 in a row, which is a magnificent achievement, we should not rest on our laurels and DC needs to build his own squad & bring in players he can trust in the battle for promotion.

Remember that this current squad downed tools for a number of months this season

Spot on!!I will never forgive them for downing tools,the same as I will always remember those heroes, that played for Micky Adam's team during the terrible administration saga.That was loyalty!!

3 hours ago, Eddie Ford said:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, yes

Don’t agree at all. Down tools and you run the risk of relegation and that’s a potential career ended for some players. Also I think it’s simplistic of an argument that doesn’t take into account the many factors though out the season.  Injuries to key players from last season (who can’t down tools when out injured), poor recruitment of back up players (who really can’t down tools if they’re not up to it in the first place), alleged poor management of 3 players who either got ostracised or bombed out of the squad, poor game management, certain players out of form, poor tactics, rushing players back from injury who weren’t ready etc etc. 

Players don't down tools especially a whole squad of them. Players lose form, lose confidence ( a big factor when a team is playing poorly ), they sometimes have to  play when not fit and sometimes its the management of those players. Its childish and shows complete ignorance of the game to say players downed tools.

Advert:

I think it's easy to tell the difference between teams battling and not getting the rub of the green and players turning up, providing the lowest minimum standards and not caring about the outcome. Whatever contributed to that, there was clearly some kind of toxicity or disrespect going on.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert:

2 hours ago, 1 said:

cant just throw someone in and have them pull you up single-handed, give him next season and then see what he can do

Especially when you're throwing a few new signings in rather than just one newbie

Archived