onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Port Vale

Fosse69

56 minutes ago, WV said:

JA was the reason we haven't seen the best of McKirdy. I know he is eager to play against Carlisle and why wouldn't you be. I think he should be judged on how he plays under DC, not under the previous manager who didn't want him. 

In McKirdy's case more than one manager has had a problem with him. He doesn't seem a player who does what the manager wants, over what he wants. Clark may get something from him to start with; but I suspect in the long run it will have an unhappy ending. 

Advert

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

My thinking is this.... One of two things is true, either

1. All football squads are a bunch of ego driven, self absorbed, money hungry blokes who push and challenge managers when they are not getting what they want and have the ability to unsettle things.

or

2. The Port Vale squad over the period mentioned was a bunch of ego driven, self absorbed, money hungry blokes who push and challenge managers but was a standout and was way worse than any other team in the league.

If #1 is true, then all managers have to handle them, they will have good periods where they are settled and happy to play for the manager, and other periods where they push the boundaries and try and  unsettle things (Hence why some managers NA and JA can get good periods... The problems comes when the players turn). In this case all managers have to stand up and handle it, some are great at it, some not so much. My believe is that having a DOF and Football side of club will make it easier for DC to manage that challenge through:

- focusing on character in recruitment

- providing structure (which from all the podcasts I listen to, it seems that players like and respond well to), and

- supporting the manager in making tough decisions

This is then coupled with the fact that based on ex player interviews and the comments since he has joined the club, my guess is that DC is a better man manager than NA and JA who by some accounts (all conjecture) were a bit dower, quick to isolate a player and not that inspirational.

Now, if #2 is correct and we have just had a particular squad which is way worse at these characteristics than any other club, then my confidence comes from the fact that most of them will be gone and replaced in the summer. That new squad of players then hopefully falls into the #1 issue. 

So the run of bad form was purely all about an entire squad being egotistical and money driven? 

7 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

So the run of bad form was purely all about an entire squad being egotistical and money driven? 

No sorry that’s not what I’m saying. I was responding to why I feel more confident in DC handling any issues than JA.

All examples and hypothesis are hyperbole and considered as a singular variable in isolation to make the point. 

On 15/04/2021 at 15:04, jjvale_03 said:

Harry McKirdy should start.

90 minutes against his former club to show us what he's got.

I totally disagree, he’s done nothing to warrant a start and hasn’t been near the set up for us to think he’ll suddenly offer us something. There’s no way he will start.

Well here we are Saturday! For me it’s going to be a defining day! Any result and I will be very happy. Not really expecting much but hopefully we can turn up and take the game to them. Come on you whites! 100% effort and we can do it! 

No fear of these at all. They beat us when we were really really loose with the ball and so open it was like trying to throw the game. Hopefully it will be completely different today and would you be looking forward to playing a team on a 6 game streak? They’ll be nervous surely. No Newport or Exeter that’s for sure.

Good luck to the Vale today .

I think it's one of them where first goal major important so let's hope we turn up with our A game anything less and Carlisle will be doing the double over us .

Be interesting see who has has being selected today hopefully Montano is back for sure for Gibbons  ,then I'd be giving Oyelekes shirt to Burgess and I'd be going with Amoo instead of Worrall just see if he can produce we know Worrall can and I cannot remember the last game Amoo set one goal up and scored one yet last season he was on the whole tremendous so I'd like see how good he is now like all players there fitness is better well I think it is on watching .

I ain't brought the game yet but probably will and as long as they play well and I enjoy there efforts I'm not really bothered if they win ,I'd like them too but not with a terrible performance I want see Vale finishing the season moving that ball around and playing like a side who have finished the season well I have no wish to watch the boring ineptitude of last week's win often it was very poor and I enjoyed it well not at all .

UTV 

A stupid suggestion, but; could anyone see Guthrie playing as an attacking midfielder, just off the striker?

He seems to lack the striker's instinct but has a good touch, can hold a ball up, is mobile, big, and strong, and seems to be a nightmare to mark. His distribution seems adequate. 

He was everywhere vs Morecambe, tracking back and cutting out through balls, and then starting attacks. I can't see him ever getting many goals but he's got a fairly unique set of attributes for this level.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Monty back in. Pope mckirdy and burgess on the bench. No sign of Guthrie nor Taylor

Looks like a bench that gives players who have not featured recently an opportunity.  Taylor has a contract and we need to be looking for a forward who produces more than Guthrie.

21 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A stupid suggestion, but; could anyone see Guthrie playing as an attacking midfielder, just off the striker?

He seems to lack the striker's instinct but has a good touch, can hold a ball up, is mobile, big, and strong, and seems to be a nightmare to mark. His distribution seems adequate. 

He was everywhere vs Morecambe, tracking back and cutting out through balls, and then starting attacks. I can't see him ever getting many goals but he's got a fairly unique set of attributes for this level.

Out of the 18 🙂

Archived