onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Carlisle United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

The Morecambe work ethic is one we must aspire to ALL season ! No big names just all eleven working hard. Looking at them against us and the Scunny game they always had two or three players chasing down the ball.

If we can keep up the intensity against Carlisle then we may be in with a shout but we certainly need to be much better with the ball, I just hope the last games poor ball retention was down to the conditions. If we are going to give the ball away so easily against these then our run will come to an abrupt end.

This game is going to be a good test for us ! If we can get a result I would be a very happy chappie. 

At one point some weeks back I genuinely thought we wouldn't score more than one goal in any game, and wouldn't pick up more than a couple of wins over the rest of the season. Made me look a right cock-womble, and long may it continue.

Clarke's even starting to get a tune out of Guthrie.

30 minutes ago, philmpv said:

You're a fool if you think that this squad isn't going to screw over DC at some point the way the majority did NA and JA. Very short term memory.

This squad will not be around when DC needs a change.

Harry boy is a london boy, born and bred. I get he spent some time with the obese ones from the south of the city . Does not mean him and his family detest vale.

He is not going be in the match squad DC already said he put him back in the squad try save his career and I hope that he does if he is as good as some folk make him out be he will have a good career elsewhere possibly at a club where is dislike of that club is not so apparent .
I mean if true that is why would you sign for a team who your family loathes ,and you ain't that fond of them as you have already told Vale supporter allegedly that you would never play for us .
To be honest that statement has come to be true and I have seen little evidence that suggests that's not the case. 
Shame on him if true and obtaining money deception .
A hoax .
Anyway back to this game 12.30 kick off let's hope we pass the ball to one another better than  v the excellent Morecambe .

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Exactly this. You are pinpointing him against Stevenage . I've already mentioned that game. It was his first full start ? The entire team were totally abject that night, really really bad. Smith in particular was appalling. 

Rodney came on after 62 minutes and put the other 11 to shame with his cameo. 

Scapegoat is the word. I'll disagree with Joe this time and I'm not going to quote people or dig out quotes but there are people who will have a wry smile when he's released. It isn't all fans of course, a few people on here is not a reflection, neither are my views. 

Just find it strange in a totally abject display where the defence was a disgrace you recall the debut of Mckirdy more, why is that ? 

Because it was truly dreadful. That’s why it is remembered. He ran around, lost the ball, gave the ball to opponents, wandering round once they had possession making no attempt to retrieve the ball. He was effectively the 12th man for Stevenage in that game. 

No way is he being made a “scapegoat”, he simply has not done enough. 

I do agree he perhaps should have had more cameo appearances to show what he can do, but that’s for the manager to decide. 

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

You're a fool if you think that this squad isn't going to screw over DC at some point the way the majority did NA and JA. Very short term memory.

They have 5 games to do it in that case... because I cant see many of them being here next year.

NA and JA couldn't handle the dressing room.. Its a huge part of management. I would back the new football department of Flickers and DC to do a better job.

24 minutes ago, kendo1876 said:

Harry boy is a london boy, born and bred. I get he spent some time with the obese ones from the south of the city . Does not mean him and his family detest vale.

Is he no idea .

You seem know him I do not claim know  him ,I only put that cause someone else put it on months ago ,hearsay to me ,I am only bothered about the players who take to the field the ones who do not who are not selected are not selected for a reason mean the other week Popey was pictured on side of pitch , the squad prior Colchester game away since no sign of him ,has that injury finished him off or will he get chance show DC what he can do .

Burgess the same I mean last season that kid was terrific,what's changed .

Amoo too has he set up a goal for months ,score done owt ,being the terrific asset he is .

Mckirdy is the least of my worries ,I'd like see him play to the level he did against us .

So many questions to be answered with last 450 minutes of season .

Lots to be played for 

They have 5 games to do it in that case... because I cant see many of them being here next year.
NA and JA couldn't handle the dressing room.. Its a huge part of management. I would back the new football department of Flickers and DC to do a better job.

You say that but they both handled it perfectly well in their early days, and even more so JA. So what changed, and what makes you so confident that DC will avoid it?

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

You say that but they both handled it perfectly well in their early days, and even more so JA. So what changed, and what makes you so confident that DC will avoid it?

Exactly Phil 

Was it not JA credited with getting rid of all the so called alleged bad eggs .

Miller, Rawlinson, Hannant, Whitfield maybe others. 

Having been quoted something like ' I've seen things I've not seen in 30 years of football ' . 

Again people ' knew ' Hannant was a tool , not done bad since has he ? 

20 minutes ago, philmpv said:

My thinking is this.... One of two things is true, either

1. All football squads are a bunch of ego driven, self absorbed, money hungry blokes who push and challenge managers when they are not getting what they want and have the ability to unsettle things.

or

2. The Port Vale squad over the period mentioned was a bunch of ego driven, self absorbed, money hungry blokes who push and challenge managers but was a standout and was way worse than any other team in the league.

If #1 is true, then all managers have to handle them, they will have good periods where they are settled and happy to play for the manager, and other periods where they push the boundaries and try and  unsettle things (Hence why some managers NA and JA can get good periods... The problems comes when the players turn). In this case all managers have to stand up and handle it, some are great at it, some not so much. My believe is that having a DOF and Football side of club will make it easier for DC to manage that challenge through:

- focusing on character in recruitment

- providing structure (which from all the podcasts I listen to, it seems that players like and respond well to), and

- supporting the manager in making tough decisions

This is then coupled with the fact that based on ex player interviews and the comments since he has joined the club, my guess is that DC is a better man manager than NA and JA who by some accounts (all conjecture) were a bit dower, quick to isolate a player and not that inspirational.

Now, if #2 is correct and we have just had a particular squad which is way worse at these characteristics than any other club, then my confidence comes from the fact that most of them will be gone and replaced in the summer. That new squad of players then hopefully falls into the #1 issue. 

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

I think you’re being a bit over dramatic. There’s been plenty more factors IMO this season for it being a poor one, not just a one line statement of “this is a group of players who shafted over a manager”. Key players injured. Back up players not good enough. Tactics and game management not good enough. Players out of form can also be levelled at this season. 

JA was the reason we haven't seen the best of McKirdy. I know he is eager to play against Carlisle and why wouldn't you be. I think he should be judged on how he plays under DC, not under the previous manager who didn't want him. 

Archived