Could agents have had their day.?

Firstly I must admit that I’m not a fan of agents, even though there are some that are good and then there are the others. Personally I see it as some are too influential, greedy and don’t perhaps always act in their clients best interest. They also hold clubs to ransom, with a view of getting clubs to sign their clients.

I know that De Bruyne is an exceptional talent but he has negotiated his own contract with MCFC.The contract is huge but if the club are prepared to pay him that salary because it’s his market value, then that, is their choice. I’m not sure that he’s set a precedent as I’m sure the odd player has done this before, but has he created a blue print for others to follow.? I hope that this could be an indication of the times changing, by giving the player extra money and cutting out the middle man. 

Advert:

Posted (edited)

I don’t believe they’re all greedy money makers. Maybe it’s more pronounced  at the top level where the deals are huge. But in reality agents aren’t making much off players at our level of the game. But why would a player go it alone with no agent at any level of football? A player is on his own trying to deal with a company, in some cases a multi million pound company that want the best for themselves and not necessarily the player.

Edited by PV1973

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54834219

FIFA are bringing in regulations to regulate agents. "They will include a licensing system, character tests and commission caps."

Some of the super agents are dead against it and are fighting it on the basis that "It's from FIFA and FIFA is bad". But I think there are good agents and bad agents and that regulation will help to reduce the amount of bad agents in the game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Firstly I must admit that I’m not a fan of agents, even though there are some that are good and then there are the others. Personally I see it as some are too influential, greedy and don’t perhaps always act in their clients best interest. They also hold clubs to ransom, with a view of getting clubs to sign their clients.

I know that De Bruyne is an exceptional talent but he has negotiated his own contract with MCFC.The contract is huge but if the club are prepared to pay him that salary because it’s his market value, then that, is their choice. I’m not sure that he’s set a precedent as I’m sure the odd player has done this before, but has he created a blue print for others to follow.? I hope that this could be an indication of the times changing, by giving the player extra money and cutting out the middle man.

I think that works at the top end where salaries are widely reported. You see this more and more in the NFL where long established players negotiate there own deals and look for clubs themselves. 

There is lees money involved but the agent really works better for players outside of the mega deals at the lower end of the spectrum. Clubs will try to take advantage of younger players who don't know any better if they show any potential and I think impartial advice to review the contract put before them is a really positive thing. Clubs can often work in a clandestine way with players so I think agents have a better idea of what's going on and can keep the player well informed about interest in him, the going rate at lower league clubs plus understand what positions other clubs are looking for if they need a move.

I know agents get a bad name but there are some good ones out there. Like it or not they will be here to stay.

Advert:

PFA should be doing contracts keep the money in the game, although like a lot of unions the subs raised never seem to get the members and most of the PFA's funds ends up in Gordon Taylors arse pocket if they could sort out the players union they would be better doing the contracts, they would have the players best inerests at heart and they wouldn't upset players into getting a move they didnt really want just to make money for themselves.

Posted (edited)

Agents are the devils gift to football!

Although there might be some decent ones among them, they are only there to make money for themselves. So there has to be a conflict of interest, if a players has maybe 2 offers, and decides to go with the one that pays less, but suits him better personally. It could be moving from one end of the country to the other, or family matters. The agent would of course always push for the one that earns the player the most, because it earns the agent the most.
I just hate agents, nothing more nothing less! 

Edited by Danish Valiant

Posted (edited)

You make it sound like players are mindless who just follow what their agent says. 

There is no loyalty from anyone in football. On the other hand..... clubs can and do act terribly by ostracising players in an effort to force them out and make things difficult for them when they are not wanted or a manager takes a dislike.  Those players have no one looking out for their interests other than themselves and their agent. Clubs can try it on with contracts and again it’s the agents job to go through those contracts and ensure the player isn’t being treated unfairly.  There’s 2 sides to every story. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2