OVF competitions - a subtle change...

This is a general response to several messages and emails received wondering if yours truly is okay consequence of a low profile on the Forum – other than the GTGS/GTC Competitions.

Back in August, 2013 I was diagnosed as having advanced dry macular degeneration in my right eye. My left eye and peripheral vision were said to be fine. Since then and up to late last year life was mostly as before – a little slower across the keyboard; slightly more focused reading the Forum.

Now, it seems, I’m losing the central focus in my left eye - but still retain strong peripheral vision.

So, why am I telling you this!?

MY Forum low profile will be more so now, but the OVF Competitions will still be run. However, and more for personal reasons, they will be fortnightly. But you will be pleased to read that the season prize pool of a minimum of £100 per game for 46 games will, instead, be divided by 23 games.

Stay safe,

Barry :smile:

p.s. it took a bliddy age to compose this reply. Ah well, such is life :smile:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

This is a general response to several messages and emails received wondering if yours truly is okay consequence of a low profile on the Forum – other than the GTGS/GTC Competitions.

Back in August, 2013 I was diagnosed as having advanced dry macular degeneration in my right eye. My left eye and peripheral vision were said to be fine. Since then and up to late last year life was mostly as before – a little slower across the keyboard; slightly more focused reading the Forum.

Now, it seems, I’m losing the central focus in my left eye - but still retain strong peripheral vision.

So, why am I telling you this!?

MY Forum low profile will be more so now, but the OVF Competitions will still be run. However, and more for personal reasons, they will be fortnightly. But you will be pleased to read that the season prize pool of a minimum of £100 per game for 46 games will, instead, be divided by 23 games.

Stay safe,

Barry :smile:

p.s. it took a bliddy age to compose this reply. Ah well, such is life :smile:

1 hour ago, Properman said:

It is great that you do what you do Barry, hope you dont suffer too much.

Absolutely. A huge thanks to @Aussie Rules for the hours and hours of work and money put into OVF's competitions. 

:notworthy:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, robf said:

Absolutely. A huge thanks to @Aussie Rules for the hours and hours of work and money put into OVF's competitions. 

:notworthy:

Cheers Rob,

It was way back in February, 2006 when we started the competitions following a suggestion from Karl aka 'werstayunup' to run a 'Guess the 1st Goal'.

With a bit of luck we'll be celebrating 20 years in 2026 :smile:

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's a shock Barry. We all hope you are coping and your family too.You've been a legend on here and we all hope you can carry on for many years to come. Take care ,stay positive and feel the Vale love for you and your family 🙂

• Like 2

Many of our friends on here have said it all above, Barry. 

I hope you manage to cope with this problem and that you can continue with your love affair with Port Vale from afar.

Your contribution to this site is enormous, via the generosity of your competitions, poems, posts and anecdotes. 

Thank you for everything you do and try and keep your optimism and sunny outlook in these difficult moments.

Up the Vale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really sorry to hear that Barry. My wife has an hereditary eye  condition, that leads to degeneration of the retina. Untreatable. She sees about 15% with strong specs and has a large black spot. Probably how I got to pull her. The lad has it as well sadly. 

But they work around it unbelievably well. There is an organization here in NL, that are incredibly helpful with this. Advising on working around it. And also providing support. Don't know if you have a similar thing in Aus?  

Biggest problem for them is not ever being able to drive. Which limits life a lot.  

I'm sure there are plenty here willing to help you out with the comp. All the best and many thanks for your efforts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Barry, sorry to hear about your condition, I hope it continues to be manageable without deteriorating further. Thanks for everything- the competitions, the poems, the stories and your insights. Hope you’re able to keep following Vale from Down Under for a long time 

• Like 1

Take care Barry and thankyou for what you do with the GTC.
If it wasn't for you I would have nowhere near as much Vale merch as I do. Thanks and look after yourself