onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wanted: your memories of Liverpool 2-2 Port Vale, 1990

robf

As I've mentioned I'm revamping OVF's coverage of classic games and one of the angles I want to get is fans' views of the matches. 

So, this time I am asking for your memories of the epic draw at Anfield in 1990. 

Please reply with your recollections.

Note: replies on here may be used in a future OVF article - by posting on here you agree for your comments to be featured. Thanks!

Advert

What a game, certainly for the Vale fans. If I remember 9000 of us for a midweek game, little interest from Liverpool fans who were struggling at that time. Rushed home from work and 4 of us shot off to the game in a rush with time against us. Ended up parking/ abandoning the car on a major road leading up to Anfield. Little Billy approached the car , a quid to look after it. Chucked him a quid on the run to the ground.

What a game, still remember Van der Laan rising to power in the header as if it was yesterday. Great equaliser to send us home very happy. Sung our hearts out for the lads. Returned to the car very happy until we headed towards ours passing car after car with smashed windows. As we got closer it looked like little Billy hadnt earned his money as they were all smashed around us with our front passenger window missing. 

However there was no glass inside our car, turns out some idiot (yours truly) in too much of a rush had shot out of the car without winding up his window. Liverpools finest had come down the line looking to rob the cars and assumed with the window appearing to be missing that someone had beat them to it.  

In the intervening period between the replay Liverpool regained some form and well we know what happened next.

Was a kid when I went to this, so went there far more optimistic than if I went as an adult. I’d seen us beat Tottenham so obviously we could beat Liverpool. We were port vale.
A bunch of scallys offered to protect out car for a quid or two. When we returned the car nex to us had its windows out through. They hadn’t apparently been offered the privilege of having their car protected. At that age it hadn’t clicked at what services they were actually offering. 

I don’t think the fans sat down throughout the whole match. I spent most of it standing on my seat. The crowd pretty much didnt stop singing for 90 mins. I remember at one point the volume went down, I think they had a corner, and dean glover motioned to the crowd to keep going, so the fans must have been driving them forward. Obviously the crowd responded. I remember the van der laan goal but not much else apart from the emotion of the match. 
Great journey home in the boot of a hatchback of my dads friend, waving my scarf at everybody I assumed were Liverpool fans. 

Similar to the above. I recall no atmosphere at all from the famous Kop. Obviously as a Vale fan you have rose tinted spectacles on but they really were quiet as a mouse.

The scenes when we scored were amazing and a game right up there in my memory bank. 

Still for me the Everton 2-2 away ranks above this but even so a brilliant night . 

Yes I agree,the game at Goodison was a much more dramatic match, with us coming from behind twice and the Bogie man's late equaliser.However,my second visit to Anfield was another one to remember,a 2-2 draw following that 0-0 in the 60's.Unforgettable moments going to places like Anfield,Goodison and Highbury and coming away unbeaten.

It's one of those games that stays in your memory banks same as the Derby County game and for me Liverpool 1964, the day I was passed from the front of the Kop to the back over the fans heads but that's another story.

Anyway back to 1990,  I worked at Jcb in those days and if anyone left early the shop floor would start banging their hammers on their benches. As I left at 3.30 there was an almighty noise of hammers banging and shopfloor workers shouting wooooooow ! I was told the next day that there was a management meeting going on at the time and production manager stood up saying "what's that bloody noise and lifted his glasses and looked out of the office window then said "oh its Barny going Liverpool" 😂😂 

Travelling back from Uttoxeter to Hanley I got stuck in a bit of traffic but managed a quick wash and change (Vale top on) and rushed up to get Tony Balls coach. I was one minute late but as I got on the coach Old Reg (bless his soul) gave me a right rollicking for being late and slapped me around the back of the head (softly). 😂😂

Anyway we got to Liverpool and strolled across Stanley park to Anfield, what an atmosphere from the Vale fans, brilliant !

Back in those days I was a smoker and as Vale were warming up and having a shoot in Andy Porter cracked a shot over the bar and it was coming right at me, I naturally put but both hands up to stop the ball, which I did but it knocked my fag out my hand and onto the bloke behind who was jumping about and cursing ! 😂😂

The game was great and I'll never forget that feeling when the equalizer went in right in front of us. Those are the moments that make you a lifelong fan and keep you coming back hoping for more.

Lets hope we get more !

Superb performance, even with a depleted team as I remember. 

The Vale following was unbelievable, as was Van Der Laan's opener! Vale, not only playing at Annfield but actually taking the lead! 

Despite going 2-1 down I was so proud that we had given Liverpool a scare, but to equalise was out of this world. 

Outside the ground after the game, Bell scuttled past me clutching a few bottles of champagne (or maybe plonk) with a grin like a Cheshire cat! 

Happy, happy memories!!! 

Fortunate to be a corporate guest in the Trophy Room,  even the taxi driver was chuffed with his first trip through the Shankly Gates.  Good meal but no build up just got into a seat towards the Kop End for the KO . Home crowd fairly quiet, good view of Robin`s opening goal but  just smiled in the home area. Thought the game was all over when Rush had the chance to make it 3-1, but luckily Martin sent the away end into raptures, I leapt up but nobody minded, although usually I manage to keep quiet in such areas.  The previous FA cup game in the 60s was memorable for the Beatles atmosphere  on the Kop. and the ovation the Vale got after the game. I remain unbeaten at Liverpool, 3 draws, League 1-1, FA Cup 0-0, League Cup 2-2,  but unlikely to ever go there again, happy memories 

Back then I wasn’t really much of a Vale fan. (I know, totally unacceptable).

Anyway, don’t know much about the 2-2 draw. However, I do remember the home tie.

Me and 4 friends happened to be walking past the Bycars Stand at halftime. The gates to the stand were wide open. We stood and considered our options. Do we go in? Will we get our collars felt? Whilst standing pondering what to do, an old chap walked past us and muttered “Get your sen in lads.” This was all the encouragement we needed. In we went.

A couple of us bought a tea and hovered for a bit. Eventually, the gates closed and we were in. Now, this may seem like ‘a bit of a win for us’. However, our problems had only just started.

With the mighty Liverpool visiting, Vale Park was pretty much a ‘sell out’. As we looked at the packed Bycars Stand, the only question on our lips was ‘Where are we going to sit?’ Initially, we started to get a bit worried. We were only 14. We split up. More chance of getting a seat in smaller numbers. So, me and one friend tried a couple of seats only to be told to ‘shift’. Eventually, we managed to get a couple of seats and watched the second half. 

As a Liverpool fan, my friend was more than happy. Remember this like yesterday.

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Superb performance, even with a depleted team as I remember. 

The Vale following was unbelievable, as was Van Der Laan's opener! Vale, not only playing at Annfield but actually taking the lead! 

Despite going 2-1 down I was so proud that we had given Liverpool a scare, but to equalise was out of this world. 

Outside the ground after the game, Bell scuttled past me clutching a few bottles of champagne (or maybe plonk) with a grin like a Cheshire cat! 

Happy, happy memories!!! 

Bell was probably thinking about the bank balance and his renowned biscuit tin 😁

Archived