onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Scott Brown

Iron Curtain

Whether you like states or not... this doesn’t make good reading for Brown who I assume is one of our top earners.

Read the whole thread.

Important to note that it would be important to see those number before and after DCs arrival as with most players.

Advert

The thing I like about stats is they can reinforce what we think we see. Everyone has an opinion but sometimes what we see aligns with the numbers. Never use stats in isolation but if you watch something, form a view, and the stats back it up, you're probably right.

We've all said Brown is too hesitant and this supports it. He was exceptional early doors with a series on improbable, unsustainable close-range saves, and hasn't been brilliant since. He had a spell of being beaten by shots from narrow angles across his body, too. With his functionalism with his feet and his lack of command of aerial balls, he has to be significantly above-par in shot stopping to make up for it (and he currently isn't).

A fantastic bloke, and a good keeper who we owe a lot to, but there at least has to be the discussion as to whether we move on considering (and I'm assuming) his sizeable wage.

Have to say I'm surprised to see his shot stopping this season has been average. No real surprise to see he's more rooted to his line than 90% of keepers and that he's been a bit more exposed by his defenders than most others.

Going by the stats I guess he might be released in the summer. How are his running times?

I advocated dropping Brown back in December. His shot stopping this season has been largely awful, and the amount of times he's been rooted to his line when he clearly should have come out is ridiculous. If it was me, Visser would have been in a long time ago. As it stands, I'd play Scott for the rest of the season to give him the opportunity to earn a contract and show what he can do, as we're all but safe

8 minutes ago, Another shropshire valiant said:

Stats or no Stats, every player has bad patches and being a keeper any mistake usually ends up in a goal, but Scott Brown has saved us more points than he has cost us....

He did last season. Wouldn’t agree with that this season 

Maybe because it's reasonable to assume that your top earners will perform and justify their wage?

Why mention top earners in the OP? Is it a subtle dig to get rid because he may be on a more money? Maybe he’s had a worse season because we’ve been defensively poor all over the pitch? 

I think we've had plenty more major worries than Brown over the last few years.

As a keeper, you simply cannot make a mistake without it costing big time.

He's made a few this season, fair do's, and I'm 100% he'd be the first to say it.

Remember the utter shambles we had for two years before he did start?

His time may well be up, and it may be him that makes that call given his age and whatever he see's his future as.

He owes us absolutely nowt though, as far as I'm concerned.

Certainly in the top four keepers I've seen at Vale.

Definitely worth another year if he'd accept it.

32 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Why mention top earners in the OP? Is it a subtle dig to get rid because he may be on a more money? Maybe he’s had a worse season because we’ve been defensively poor all over the pitch? 

Because you have to allocate your wages by their impact. Brown has fallen short.

Archived