onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ms Coates

Properman

Sure I read bet365 profits have been announced being under 200 million and she had paid herself over 400 million.... just saying.
Not related, she deducted her costs on the business first, reducing the profits made by her business her loss. Just saying.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, falmouthssoberist said:
Sure I read bet365 profits have been announced being under 200 million and she had paid herself over 400 million.... just saying.

Not related, she deducted her costs on the business first, reducing the profits made by her business her loss. Just saying.

Ahhh it was only a quick glance at quoted figures , I didn't delve into it

20 hours ago, geosname said:

It matters little how hard she works..... or not, I don't know or care.

What she does with the money is her choice.

Gambling is legal, we could argue about whether it should be, but as long as it is it makes little difference.

Im not sure obscene is a word I would choose, but in that context surely there are many things you would call obscene...... wasting tax payers money, MPs expenses, some footballers salaries, bankers bonuses etc etc. 

Im not suggesting you are bitter.

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Quite simply, in reply to your question "why do people care how much she pays herself?"  It's the UK's biggest pay packet, £421 million in pay plus £48 million in dividends, just under half a billion pounds, £1.2 million per day, around £54,000 per hour.  Think about those numbers for a moment.  You call it whatever you like but I'd call that obscene.  Meanwhile there a many workers out there earning £8.91 minimum wage.  Possibly some of those people are employed by the Coates family.  Maybe that's why some people care.

On 02/04/2021 at 02:50, Doha said:

I'm finding this obsession with tax quite weird.

She isn't doing it voluntarily lads. If she wasn't paying it she'd find herself in very hot water.

It's capital gains and income tax paid on gambling revenue. She isn't going to be canonised. 

Whilst I get your point we both know tax is voluntary IF you are prepared to be flexible over location. She has never shown any desire to offshore.

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

Quite simply, in reply to your question "why do people care how much she pays herself?"  It's the UK's biggest pay packet, £421 million in pay plus £48 million in dividends, just under half a billion pounds, £1.2 million per day, around £54,000 per hour.  Think about those numbers for a moment.  You call it whatever you like but I'd call that obscene.  Meanwhile there a many workers out there earning £8.91 minimum wage.  Possibly some of those people are employed by the Coates family.  Maybe that's why some people care.

I know a lot of people who work at Bet365 and all are on decent salaries. I don't believe she pays anyone close to minimum wage. Yes the numbers are high but it is a business that could be run anywhere in the world. It isn't and she has chosen to maintain it in her local community, paying higher wages in the process. She makes a lot of money because her product is better than most of the competition.  Unless you advocate taking it into public ownership then the profit she makes is because she does a better product than the competition.  Many online gambling businesses have failed in recent years because their customers have chosen to gamble elsewhere; many switching to Bet365 because they offer better odds for the punter.

The real morality issue is gambling. It undoubtedly causes misery to many people. It also creates excitement for many who can keep it under control. There is an argument for banning it. But to do so would probably drive it underground. Personally I don't gamble online. I do gamble at the races and I'll occasionally put a bet on at a conventional bookies. I wouldn't particularly miss it if it were to be banned. On balance I think the criminalisation that would result from banning it would probably make the problems worse not better. On balance Bet365 is probably the lesser of two evils.

Obscene money but if the business can afford to pay her then fine. The business could easily move abroad to a tax haven to reduce the tax bill as does so many betting companies but she has chose to build the business in Stoke which employs hundreds of people whom would probably not earn the same amount had th business not been there. 
And for all those who say gambling is an evil industry and causes misery, yes it does become an addiction to a very small majority but name an industry or profession that in no way is questionable. Ban online gambling and people will still find a way to gamble, gambling has gone on for centuries and will never stop even if you ban online bookies or high street bookies.

Must admit not a betting man so no fan of companies like Bet365. Appreciate gambling causes damage to some punters equally the same could be said of drink and smoking. The Coates family seem to treat their employees well, no staff furloughed during Covid. Also they are major employers in the city, as said elsewhere they dont need to locate here.

As regards the pay, well they are a private company who pays tax in the UK. Denise apparently took a massive risk in the early days of online gambling which paid off. Could have easily gone the other way.

2 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Must admit not a betting man so no fan of companies like Bet365. Appreciate gambling causes damage to some punters equally the same could be said of drink and smoking. The Coates family seem to treat their employees well, no staff furloughed during Covid. Also they are major employers in the city, as said elsewhere they dont need to locate here.

As regards the pay, well they are a private company who pays tax in the UK. Denise apparently took a massive risk in the early days of online gambling which paid off. Could have easily gone the other way.

According to an article in The Times yesterday, HM Revenue showed Denise Coates as the highest individual tax payer 2019/2020, so fair enough--apparently she isn't in some offshore tax avoidance scheme like some other well known high profile figures!

It took maybe 2 minutes to buy a ticket which netted £121,000,000.

Is that obscene?

What other people earn (legally) has never bothered me.

What others do with their money (legally) has never bothered me. 

I've been far more concerned with what I've earned and how I've spent it.

On 01/04/2021 at 19:40, toyahw said:

Bullying her neighbours and building that bloody monstrosity.

Making her fortune conning  poor people, who don't know better?

She is a scum bag, even without the link to THAT club.

You think with all that money she’d have come up with something better than a toddler could do with Lego in 10mins. 🤣😂🤣

https://expressdigest.com/bet365-businesswoman-boss-irks-neighbours-by-offering-silly-money-to-buy-up-their-homes/

12 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

You think with all that money she’d have come up with something better than a toddler could do with Lego in 10mins. 🤣😂🤣

https://expressdigest.com/bet365-businesswoman-boss-irks-neighbours-by-offering-silly-money-to-buy-up-their-homes/

Not to my taste...... but then it's not my money.

Odd people are complaining they have been offered stupid money for their homes, they don't have to accept, some didn't but it's caused arguments in their families..... is that the buyers fault? People are strange.

38 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Spot on MITP.Add to your list,Denise works 7 days a week,12 hours a daySo those complaining maybe should get off their arses ,a bit more,to make themselves a fortune .Nobody forces anyone to bet.How much does alcoholism cost the taxpayer in comparison.Smoking?Drugs?Betting is highly regulated in the UK.Bet 365 have their own department to deal with problem gambling.How many moaners on here have 4 adopted children?

On 01/04/2021 at 19:40, toyahw said:

Bullying her neighbours and building that bloody monstrosity.

Making her fortune conning  poor people, who don't know better?

She is a scum bag, even without the link to THAT club.

Making (taking) millions off those  who are enlarge addicted to gambling and the consequences it has on peoples lives is a scum bag occupation however you dress it up. Sums up the Coates family period !!!!!!! 

On 31/03/2021 at 21:45, Mario said:

Jesus wept, they have to pay tax it's a legal requirement they aint doing anyone any favours and isn't the head quarters registered in malta to avoid paying it ? 

No she’s one of the highest personal taxpayers in th3 UK unlike Brexit patriots Tim Martin and James Dyson. 
Amazon pay <ovf censored> all and treat 5heir staff like slaves 

your not right on the registration bit either

516416A3-9231-4A50-9AFF-AB14F1C7A603.jpeg

6 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

No she’s one of the highest personal taxpayers in th3 UK unlike Brexit patriots Tim Martin and James Dyson. 
Amazon pay <ovf censored> all and treat 5heir staff like slaves 

your not right on the registration bit eithet

516416A3-9231-4A50-9AFF-AB14F1C7A603.jpeg

You been on the communion wine ?

Archived