McKirdy back in the squad after Mills injury

Posted (edited)

Just hope he takes this chance and plays well for the Vale.  Last chance saloon as they say for him.  

Did he get a chance under Askey.  He had chances to show what he could do and didn't take them.  He may have learnt from that and be a different player now.  Well you can hope can't you.

Glad the EFL have allowed Vale to do this.  Like others I also thought it was 22 and that is your lot - with our sick list I was worried about season long injuries hitting our lot.  So any season long injuries came out of the 22 players and tuff luck.  So thank you EFL for doing this.

Edited by PVFC764

Thankfully its probably the last we have seen of Mills. The worst RB I have ever witnessed see at Vale Park....and I remember watching Kevin Steggles!

I'm very interested to see McKirdy play under DC. I expect we will see him on the subs bench ahead of Hurst.

No doubt McKirdy can be a game changer. 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.

Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.

Just another highlight of Askey's mismanagement of the squad this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Just another highlight of Askey's mismanagement of the squad this season.

Whatever decisions made by the club, there'll always be an element of people with whom particular decisions won't go down well.  Personally, I'm pleased to see the lad back in the squad as he took the decision to drop him out of the 22 very well and as far as I can see, has continued to train with the club. Doubt whether he will take much part in the last 8 games, but at least he's another options. With our injury history this season, goodness knows we do need as many options to call on as possible!

Past history shows he's  not the sort to make the most of any "last chance" : I think hell be gone at the end of the season.... there ll be another club who ll come in for him no doubt thinking they can get a tune out of him whatever that means !

Posted (edited)

Must be a slow news story day ,i think with most of the season being wasted by certain players i have no excitement at this news only that he will have to earn his money not  just get it for nothing if selected which he probably will not be as the team generally picks itself after last 3 games the players who have given us a chance move up the league deserve to keep the shirts. 

So good luck to him and that's it ,i do  not want to read he as exceptional talent i want to allegedly see it .

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Whatever decisions made by the club, there'll always be an element of people with whom particular decisions won't go down well.  Personally, I'm pleased to see the lad back in the squad as he took the decision to drop him out of the 22 very well and as far as I can see, has continued to train with the club. Doubt whether he will take much part in the last 8 games, but at least he's another options. With our injury history this season, goodness knows we do need as many options to call on as possible!

Good point this.

With his contract up at the end of the season, and being frozen out of the 1st team picture, he could have very easily 'downed tools' for 5 months.

But after Clarke's comments it seems he's really applying himself in training and has impressed the new management.

• Like 3

Harsh.  Mills was very decent in his last few games. 

I think we're playing it fast and loose with the term 'decent' there! Granted, he's improved from his previously awful appearances, but he could hardly get any worse
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, connor hackett said:
4 hours ago, darren1810 said:
Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.
Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.
I think Clarke might give him an opportunity based on his comments about clean slates etc.

From the Lardinel
But Darrell Clarke said earlier this month that he has been working with the 23 year old forward and would have backed himself to get the best out of him had he been available for games.

From memory he was played out of his natural position that game aswell. Shame about Mills he was starting to turn a corner, but must say I'm exited about Mckirdy getting another run. If Clarke can get the best out him, which he must feel he can, we could have a baller on our hands. He's basically got a six week shot of landing a contract. Hope we can see the other side of Harry now.

I remember before that game fans were telling Askey how McKirdy should start and i do believe that Askey hung him out to dry by like you say playing him out of position and that was that for him.

We all know he has talent but has a reputation of being a massive twonk,i dont think DC will stand any of that so hopefully he can get the best out of him and if he does then wow we could have a player on our hands and one who is still young.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I remember before that game fans were telling Askey how McKirdy should start and i do believe that Askey hung him out to dry by like you say playing him out of position and that was that for him.

We all know he has talent but has a reputation of being a massive twonk,i dont think DC will stand any of that so hopefully he can get the best out of him and if he does then wow we could have a player on our hands and one who is still young.

Its strange isn't it how we all view things differently.

The way I saw it was that after trying him on the wing and him having absolutely no positional discipline Askey gave him that free role behind the striker to see if he could impact the game from there. All he then went on to do was give away a few needless fouls and barely influence the game at all.

I would say it was more trying to accommodate him than hanging him out to dry.

At the same time no one was performing well in the team during that period.

I hope he comes in and does well for us but from what I have seen of him so far I would probably prefer to see Hurst or Amoo given the game time over McKirdy. Lets hope however he can give us another option in our push up the table. If he proves himself and earns another deal great news for all parties.

The longer these squad restrictions continue the less thought out they seem to be. Being able to deregister players or deregister and furlough players to sign players in their place makes it pointless. The injuries rule seems to make sense but I wonder if the teams all knew about it at the start of the season.

58 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Its strange isn't it how we all view things differently.

The way I saw it was that after trying him on the wing and him having absolutely no positional discipline Askey gave him that free role behind the striker to see if he could impact the game from there. All he then went on to do was give away a few needless fouls and barely influence the game at all.

I would say it was more trying to accommodate him than hanging him out to dry.

At the same time no one was performing well in the team during that period.

I hope he comes in and does well for us but from what I have seen of him so far I would probably prefer to see Hurst or Amoo given the game time over McKirdy. Lets hope however he can give us another option in our push up the table. If he proves himself and earns another deal great news for all parties.

The longer these squad restrictions continue the less thought out they seem to be. Being able to deregister players or deregister and furlough players to sign players in their place makes it pointless. The injuries rule seems to make sense but I wonder if the teams all knew about it at the start of the season.

I think Amoo and Hurst can help the club go forward. McKirdy needs to show something to get into their category. I don't think he has had much chance, but you are right he hasn't made an impact in a side that was struggling. 

6 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

If you were planning of getting rid of him at the end of the season would you go through the effort of bringing him back. I think there is a high chance clarke will look to sign him if he performs well between now and the end of the season

Is it that much of an effort to register a player? I would say it is simply a case of maximising the squad we had and to motivate the guy, which is a good move. I agree Clarke will have a look, but I fear the window of opportunity is too small for him to make an impact on staying or not. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What is that saying about leopards. After winning 3 games on the bounce I wouldn't take the chance of him disrupting things but I am not the manager. 

He’s trained with the vale since being de registered and by Clarke’s own admission he has trained very well and impressed. Why can’t the lad be given a 2nd chance? He’s hardly going to disrupt a squad he’s been part of all season. It’s also in his best interests to impress otherwise hr could see himself in non league next season 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1