McKirdy back in the squad after Mills injury

Advert:

"But after independent medical advice confirmed defender Mills was out for the remaining eight games, Vale took their case to the EFL and have been allowed to include McKirdy in his place."

I always thought that once you submit your final squad in January, that was that, regardless of injuries.

Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.

Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.

I think Clarke might give him an opportunity based on his comments about clean slates etc.

From the Lardinel

But Darrell Clarke said earlier this month that he has been working with the 23 year old forward and would have backed himself to get the best out of him had he been available for games.

Edited by darren1810
addition to post
  • Like 6

Learn something new everyday I guess as said above I thought this was all set in stone post transfer window. That said I hate this whole thing about squad limits in the first place.

McKirdy I hope will realise how lucky he is to have this chance and will look to prove a point.

• Like 3

Advert:

Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.
Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.
I think Clarke might give him an opportunity based on his comments about clean slates etc.

From the Lardinel
But Darrell Clarke said earlier this month that he has been working with the 23 year old forward and would have backed himself to get the best out of him had he been available for games.
From memory he was played out of his natural position that game aswell. Shame about Mills he was starting to turn a corner, but must say I'm exited about Mckirdy getting another run. If Clarke can get the best out him, which he must feel he can, we could have a baller on our hands. He's basically got a six week shot of landing a contract. Hope we can see the other side of Harry now.

These were Clarke's comments on McKirdy about two weeks ago

"You speak to a lot of people in the game about Harry, and he doesn't have a great reputation..."

"Maverick"

"But you see on the training ground he has that match winning quality"

"He just has to tone things down so can lose that reputation he's got"

"I can understand why managers and coaches lose patience with him"

Clarke is clearly a bit stronger/definitely a lot more belligerent than Askey so it'll be interesting to see if he can handle and channel Mckirdy's (unwarranted) enormous ego into tangible results. 

• Like 1

If he upsets Clarke he will be done for, Clarke won’t take any crap by the looks of him.

He’s talented and one of the best players at this level, if he gets a tune we are laughing. Time will tell.

Looks like the EFL allow it for season ending injuries which makes sense I guess!

Advert:

Massive chance for the lad but if clarke can get the best out of him we will have some player on our hands . Best of luck to him. If clarke is giving him a clean slate so should all of us. Get behind the lad until proven otherwise 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

Probably too late for him to prove himself for another deal in my view. As with any Vale player, I’d love him to come good. Was never really given sufficient games to really be seen as effective or not. 

If you were planning of getting rid of him at the end of the season would you go through the effort of bringing him back. I think there is a high chance clarke will look to sign him if he performs well between now and the end of the season

McKirdy, Visser and Trickett-Smith were the players not registered.

Visser is still injured and we have Scott covering. Trickett-Smith is possibly the most bizarre signing we've ever made and Clarke already says we've overstocked in central midfield so the only option was bringing McKirdy back.

Saying that, if Clarke didn't rate/like McKirdy we could have just left him deregistered as it's not a like for like swap.

I'd love us to get a tune out of McKirdy - I love those talented, maverick, wind up merchant types! He's playing for a contract either with us or elsewhere.

Honestly think he could really impress under clarke. Clarke rates him otherwise wouldn’t have bothered bringing him back, clearly impressed in training given Clarke’s comments. Shame for mills who had improved recently but this is a huge chance for mckirdy to show Clarke and co what he can do. Given we won’t go down now I think he will be given a run out. 

He will probably do well given he’s out of contract and will want a new one here / somewhere else. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

Advert:

It’s got to count for something I’d imagine that DC clearly wants him around. Compare that to Askey who always gave the impression he wasn’t very keen on him in the first place (might be completely misinterpreting that but it’s how it seemed).

Have to be honest he never really convinced me before as a lot of what he did seemed to be for show but little that actually influenced a game. With that said when you at best get a game every now and then it’s hard to build up a rapport with your team mates and even so it’s DC he needs to convince not me so let’s see how it goes. Adds a little interest as we move to some dead rubber fixtures anyway.

I think I remember his last game under Askey and from my amateur/fan perspective it looked like he had no discipline at all out wide. He was cutting in all the time, getting out of position and not tracking back. In turn that meant the opposition were doubling up on the Zak Mills. So, unless that's changed I can't see him playing wide. 

Having said that, perhaps coming on as a sub in games we are chasing may be the solution - if Vale are going for broke just bring him on in a free role, tell him to ignore the tracking back, defending and go for it. He's got an eye for a goal and can also draw defenders into silly fouls so he may be a more potent attacking option from the bench than say Guthrie?

• Like 1

I think the fact that clarke wants him around sort of disproves the fact he was disrupting the dressing room yes hes a character and probably one throws a hissy fit now and again but he cant have been causing that much trouble because if he didnt get on with the players i cant see any manager wantint to bring him back in

• Like 2