onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy back in the squad after Mills injury

valeparklife

It’s got to count for something I’d imagine that DC clearly wants him around. Compare that to Askey who always gave the impression he wasn’t very keen on him in the first place (might be completely misinterpreting that but it’s how it seemed).

Have to be honest he never really convinced me before as a lot of what he did seemed to be for show but little that actually influenced a game. With that said when you at best get a game every now and then it’s hard to build up a rapport with your team mates and even so it’s DC he needs to convince not me so let’s see how it goes. Adds a little interest as we move to some dead rubber fixtures anyway.

Advert

I think I remember his last game under Askey and from my amateur/fan perspective it looked like he had no discipline at all out wide. He was cutting in all the time, getting out of position and not tracking back. In turn that meant the opposition were doubling up on the Zak Mills. So, unless that's changed I can't see him playing wide. 

Having said that, perhaps coming on as a sub in games we are chasing may be the solution - if Vale are going for broke just bring him on in a free role, tell him to ignore the tracking back, defending and go for it. He's got an eye for a goal and can also draw defenders into silly fouls so he may be a more potent attacking option from the bench than say Guthrie?

I think the fact that clarke wants him around sort of disproves the fact he was disrupting the dressing room yes hes a character and probably one throws a hissy fit now and again but he cant have been causing that much trouble because if he didnt get on with the players i cant see any manager wantint to bring him back in

Just hope he takes this chance and plays well for the Vale.  Last chance saloon as they say for him.  

Did he get a chance under Askey.  He had chances to show what he could do and didn't take them.  He may have learnt from that and be a different player now.  Well you can hope can't you.

Glad the EFL have allowed Vale to do this.  Like others I also thought it was 22 and that is your lot - with our sick list I was worried about season long injuries hitting our lot.  So any season long injuries came out of the 22 players and tuff luck.  So thank you EFL for doing this.

Thankfully its probably the last we have seen of Mills. The worst RB I have ever witnessed see at Vale Park....and I remember watching Kevin Steggles!

I'm very interested to see McKirdy play under DC. I expect we will see him on the subs bench ahead of Hurst.

No doubt McKirdy can be a game changer. 

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.

Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.

Just another highlight of Askey's mismanagement of the squad this season.

2 minutes ago, MBE said:

Just another highlight of Askey's mismanagement of the squad this season.

Whatever decisions made by the club, there'll always be an element of people with whom particular decisions won't go down well.  Personally, I'm pleased to see the lad back in the squad as he took the decision to drop him out of the 22 very well and as far as I can see, has continued to train with the club. Doubt whether he will take much part in the last 8 games, but at least he's another options. With our injury history this season, goodness knows we do need as many options to call on as possible!

Must be a slow news story day ,i think with most of the season being wasted by certain players i have no excitement at this news only that he will have to earn his money not  just get it for nothing if selected which he probably will not be as the team generally picks itself after last 3 games the players who have given us a chance move up the league deserve to keep the shirts. 

So good luck to him and that's it ,i do  not want to read he as exceptional talent i want to allegedly see it .

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

Whatever decisions made by the club, there'll always be an element of people with whom particular decisions won't go down well.  Personally, I'm pleased to see the lad back in the squad as he took the decision to drop him out of the 22 very well and as far as I can see, has continued to train with the club. Doubt whether he will take much part in the last 8 games, but at least he's another options. With our injury history this season, goodness knows we do need as many options to call on as possible!

Good point this.

With his contract up at the end of the season, and being frozen out of the 1st team picture, he could have very easily 'downed tools' for 5 months.

But after Clarke's comments it seems he's really applying himself in training and has impressed the new management.

4 hours ago, connor hackett said:
4 hours ago, darren1810 said:
Won't go down well with some. I maintain he's never had a proper chance. 13 minutes here, 18 minutes there doesn't constitute a chance.
Loads couldn't wait to slate him at Stevenage away in a rare ( only ? ) start, yet conveniently forgot that every single player apart from Rodney was abject that night.
I think Clarke might give him an opportunity based on his comments about clean slates etc.

From the Lardinel
But Darrell Clarke said earlier this month that he has been working with the 23 year old forward and would have backed himself to get the best out of him had he been available for games.

From memory he was played out of his natural position that game aswell. Shame about Mills he was starting to turn a corner, but must say I'm exited about Mckirdy getting another run. If Clarke can get the best out him, which he must feel he can, we could have a baller on our hands. He's basically got a six week shot of landing a contract. Hope we can see the other side of Harry now.

I remember before that game fans were telling Askey how McKirdy should start and i do believe that Askey hung him out to dry by like you say playing him out of position and that was that for him.

We all know he has talent but has a reputation of being a massive twonk,i dont think DC will stand any of that so hopefully he can get the best out of him and if he does then wow we could have a player on our hands and one who is still young.

Archived