onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Another Coach

Advert

18 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Do you really think the appointment of Rooney is going to decide Saturday’s result? I’d be very surprised if it did. 

Just because we haven’t got over the finishing line yet, that doesn’t we can’t plan for the future. 

Carol simply just can’t win with some of you sometimes. Let her get on with it. 

Jesus!

I am not a religious man but as I said it was more about how much money was in the pot. If Carol has money to spare then not against it . However guess the pot isnt limitless as she is still paying Smurf off in installments. That was my concern.

Our wage bill for Director of football/coaches must be almost equal to the cost of the whole playing squad?  I don't want to sound churlish if this is another positive sign of the owners' commitment to the future, but sincerely hope that we can afford it in the current revenue-tight circumstances?

Why don't we let Carol worry about what she can afford and concentrate on getting our season tickets/attending games next season?

Talking about coaches, will they be doing day trips to the seaside. That’s a good way of motivating youngsters through education. Now those were the days when working men’s clubs, pubs and places of employment did that for the children of ppl connected to them. I’m not sure if many kids actually go to the seaside, in this day and age. Those of us that did will have fond memories, especially the paper boys/girls. I was fortunate to work for Roy Sproson at Sneyd Green. Still enjoy telling ppl he was my the first manager, I had.

2 hours ago, Doha said:

Why would we be doing this if we couldn't? She knows what she's doing. 

I'm not talking about you, I mean this general, but if we don't get 4 wins in August I can already see the comments whinging about money spent on coaches instead of players. It's so predictable. 

I'm hoping you're right. I don't doubt that our owners are good business people, but the economics of running a football club are very different from other businesses and as we've seen historically (not only at Vale Park) various clubs going under or neasr to the edge with many clubs spending more than can be properly afforded.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Please believe that mine wasn't an anti-Carol post. I'm sure she knows what she's doing and what is affordable, but every pound spent off the pitch is obviously one less less to spend on players.  However good a coach may be, at the end of the day, the determining factor is inevitably the quality of a playing squad.

Why don't we let Carol worry about what she can afford and concentrate on getting our season tickets/attending games next season?

But you don't know that the playing budget is being reduced for every coach. Or do you? My point is that people are worrying and speculating about our finances because we're actually spending money with the future in mind. If it was Norm in charge, I could understand the concerns, as he did nothing for the Club without making sure as hell he'd get it back from the Club. Carol, I've absolutely no doubt is not putting the Club in any jeopardy with her business planning and if it doesn't work, Carol will own it, and take the hit herself. She hasn't an unlimited pot, sure, but do you really think she'd make these plans, or indeed any, without a full costing and projection?

Final observation from me. It was only a couple of months ago, when the rumour surfaced that DF had turned us down for the managers job because we weren't prepared to pay the going rate in salary. People were moaning their bags off then that we were trying to do everything on the cheap, questioning Carol, etc. Now she's spending money, the same people are moaning again! Only at the Vale

The money spent on Director of Football, Head of Coaching, Academy coaches and so forth should be seen as an investment that requires a return at some point in the future. It's not a handout with the expectation that the club continues in the same vein. It's trying to turn the tide and turn us into a modern football that develops either players (From either our academy or 18-21 year olds from other academies signed to development deals) that either turn into first team squad players, or good enough to sell on in the future.

Say all this costs us 300k annually (I have no idea, simply plucking a figure out of the air) and in return we sell players for 500k per annum, and save a further 100k on salaries by having squad players we've developed on lower salaries than a comparable free transfer. Why wouldn't you do this? Or even attempt to try? What's the worst that happens, we get rid of them all if it doesn't work? 

I have no idea why anyone would be against us doing this. I know people are concerned about money given what's gone on in the past, but can you compare Carol to Norm (Won't spend) or V2001 (Can't spend)? We're trying to be a better football club. Who doesn't want that? It's all about investing in infrastructure. The successful clubs aren't built on quicksand.

The  way we are setting up and organising the back room function, must be more akin to that of a Championship club than a League 2 outfit, which is great and gives us a glimpse of The Vale 's aspirations,  but if a Cheltenham or Morecambe type club are hitting the heights again next season and we're not, we could be forgiven in thinking that it's all a load of <ovf censored> 

If it blooms like it should,  then nobody will touch us, only I don't know how long it will take. 

10 minutes ago, Old fort said:

The  way we are setting up and organising the back room function, must be more akin to that of a Championship club than a League 2 outfit, which is great and gives us a glimpse of The Vale 's aspirations,  but if a Cheltenham or Morecambe type club are hitting the heights again next season and we're not, we could be forgiven in thinking that it's all a load of <ovf censored> 

If it blooms like it should,  then nobody will touch us, only I don't know how long it will take. 

Are Cheltenham and Morecambe setting themselves up for long-term success? Or is it just going to be short-term burst before dropping back down again. I have no idea, but we look like we're trying to push ourselves forward so the progress is sustainable.

Didn't Carol say (around the end of the last transfer window" something like "I can't spend any more on the team (because if the salary cap) so I'll spend it on the infrastructure?" It was definitely something along those lines. The point is, everything has a budget. Once that money's gone there's no more spending in that area in that financial year. Carol and Kevin won't...because it's bad practice..."borrow" money from the playing staff budget to bring in more coaches and the personnel deemed necessary for the long-term plan. Our seeming lack of ambition has been whinged about for 20 years or more - every time one of you comes out with the (Yawn) "joke" about the fax machine working/not working during a transfer window, you're actually making that point that we're a small club with little ambition - otherwise, we would have the infrastructure in place so that little dramas like that don't happen.

For those of you in the "can we afford it?" camp - I'm fairly sure the ins and outs will have been discussed, probably in the presence of their accountant? So I'm comfortable that - not "we", but the Shanahans - CAN afford to take the actions they are taking, or they wouldn't take them?

One little side issue: I thought they were paying Smurftwat  in instalments to buy back the ground, rather than buy the Club off him in instalments?

Oh...and didn't DF become a Director when he was made Director of Football? I think there's a clue in the name?

Archived