Players medicals before signing.

Playa Amodores

Does anyone know the true extent of a players medical before signing for a new club. Today I read the Frank Worthington RIP, failed two medicals at Liverpool, the reason being due to high blood pressure. Then yesterday I read that Barnsley are paying quite a substantial sum of compensation to Hull for the sale of Angus Macdonald. The reason being that having signed him Angus, poor chap was diagnosed with bowel cancer , but has made a full recovery. Barnsley stated they didn’t know about his illness and Hull stated they wouldn’t have purchased him if they had known. Surely it’s down to due diligence and basically sold as seen.

Paul Merson tells a great story about when he signed for Villa... they sat him on the bed, grabbed a copy of the Rothmans yearbook, looked him up and saw he played every game in the previous season.

Job done... sign him up!

9 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Today I read the Frank Worthington RIP, failed two medicals at Liverpool, the reason being due to high blood pressure.

And how many would have loved the magnificent Frank Worthington in their team. A bit of bllod pressure was probably down to the fact he was drunk the night before.

16 hours ago, Wrex said:

I'm pretty sure it's not standard practice to screen players for cancer when signing them.

I’m wondering if this will set a precedent, which will make transfers even more protracted. Is this just a one off or is it the sign of the future.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a story in Peter Swan's autobiography about how he came to Vale to have a medical before signing for us. Physio was concerned due to a history of issues with one of Swan's knees and when he asked him which knee was the problematic one, Swan lied and said the other one. Medical passed with no issues.

Archived