onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

That's all well and good if he's got the defenders to pass it to. I wouldn't want any of our current crop to be given the ball deep, as we all know what will happen. Brisley, Legge, Crookes, Mills and Fitzpatrick are woeful in their distribution! We may as well switch discipline to rugby if that's the plan

He is considered a ball playing keeper and had the second highest pass completion % of keepers in the EFL in the 2019/20 season.
He also made the highest % of saves in league 1 that year.
Video highlights reel = https://twitter.com/MKDonsFC/status/1249366667206905856?s=20
Begs the question why he wasnt first choice this year.
I love the closed season. 

Advert

28 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

IF and its a big IF we were interested then i think that would spell the end of Brown here as i cant see that lad coming in as cover

I still think Brown could give us another good season or two

Its a HUGE if..... I have literally made this up based on MK Dons released list and my nerdy love of end of season potential player research. 

🙂

1 hour ago, Doha said:

I know mate, I'm just exasperated at the repetition of smaller clubs with smaller revenue picking up better forwards than us. Lee Hughes 8 years ago was the last proven goalscorer we signed

I would argue both Pope and Robinson where signed as proven goal scorers in L2. Demonstrates proven goalscorer don't always workout. 

Interesting to hear Clarke talk on strikers and quoting Cambridge where their top striker scored 8 and saying we cant afford a 20 goal a season striker. However, we can operate with fewer but better quality. Currently we have 6 strikers  Popey, Rodney, Theo, Cullen , Guthrie, and Swann. Rodney aside can we have better and  4 strikers overall who actually score . Popey must be on decent money so surely we spend our money on fewer and  better and offer a decent wage to a proven striker . There are no guarantees but a Lee Hughes type is what is required to bring Rodney on.

20 goal strikers being signed at this level is always a gamble... what makes one? Very few are prolific over many seasons as DC alluded.

Look at Vale since 2000 and our 20+ a season scorers...

Stephen McPhee - 1 season hit 27 goals... the season before he got 3 I think and never hit the heights close to that again in his career.

Leon Constantine - 1 Season hit 27 goals... was decent the year before but had mixed times elsewhere, did hit a load for Southend I think but flopped a few other clubs.

Marc Richards - Prolific for us... 3 x 20 plus goal seasons in a row I think, the only truly regular one we've had, did get a few at Northampton so he was prolific.

Tom Pope - 33 goals one season, don't think he's ever hit 20 other than that?

So its a bit of luck on that part, injuries, the right system but signing a 20 goal man is never guaranteed.

One thing I most definitely want - no appearance based extension clause in the contract of any player over 30. We seem to have handed these out like sweets over the past few years, such that we were lumbered with Joyce again for this season, and seemingly Legge for next. Pretty sure Pugh and Tonge exercised similar clauses, though I could be wrong? Can't see the benefit of these to the club. If they were quality players, fair enough, but at this level I wouldn't be arsed as a manager if I lost a player because we wouldn't agree to this type of clause

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

One thing I most definitely want - no appearance based extension clause in the contract of any player over 30. We seem to have handed these out like sweets over the past few years, such that we were lumbered with Joyce again for this season, and seemingly Legge for next. Pretty sure Pugh and Tonge exercised similar clauses, though I could be wrong? Can't see the benefit of these to the club. If they were quality players, fair enough, but at this level I wouldn't be arsed as a manager if I lost a player because we wouldn't agree to this type of clause

Phil, the only benefit that I can see is that, if we didn’t then we’d lose them for the first season and it’s probably at a reduced salary, for the second season. Could be a good deal for club and player. A cheaper option that having to sign a new player and having to offer a two year contract and then they’re not what we thought they were. Could probably think of at least one who’ll be at the club next year in this position.

Phil, the only benefit that I can see is that, if we didn’t then we’d lose them for the first season and it’s probably at a reduced salary, for the second season. Could be a good deal for club and player. A cheaper option that having to sign a new player and having to offer a two year contract and then they’re not what we thought they were. Could probably think of at least one who’ll be at the club next year in this position.
But isn't it the player who chooses to exercise it? So even if the Club doesn't want the player, he can choose to stay on the payroll?

But isn't it the player who chooses to exercise it? So even if the Club doesn't want the player, he can choose to stay on the payroll?
It is a performance clause, if the player has met the conditions so he is entitled to exercise the clause. If the alternative was not to play him and be relegated, he has earned the option of an extra season even if he is not in the squad.

Archived