onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

Advert

31 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Out of contract or will we need a fee, signed by Notts for a 6 figure fee?

Don't know to be honest. Just one of many good players I have seen in that division. We could get anyone we want from there.

1 hour ago, bennymole said:

Just been speaking to a Mansfield lad, he's a pretty sound source as well and He said that this Benning lad is nailed on for us. He has turned down three improved contract offers as he is non too keen on the gaffer and wants less travelling.

Would certainly make sense that we are at least speaking to him... didn’t he make the league team of the season under Flickers?

Would be a great addition.

On 23/04/2021 at 12:23, robf said:

For me, I'd keep Brisley and Legge and Smith's already under contract. If you do that then you're looking for a youngster or two who can challenge those three. 

At the moment it's Crookes and Olagunu.

So, rather than who's better than Legge, Smith and Brisley perhaps the questions should be is anyone better than the understudies?

1. Does Crookes have potential to get better and is he a good option with his versatility and left foot or can we get a better "upgrade" and let him go?

2. Olagunju is out of contract at Hudd and is powerful. Is he worth a punt on a permanent deal as a young un to develop or again is there an "upgrade" on him (either as a permanent or a loan move) available?

If you look at it that way then you'd have five players chasing three places in the side. Two veterans (Legge and Brisley), one coming to his peak age (Smith) plus a couple of promising youngsters. If you add in Michael Lennon from the youth team (who I suspect will get a pro contract and then be loaned out for experience) that should be enough cover and enough long-term potential to take over from the old guys when they do need to be let go.

If we're playing 3 CBs week in, week out in this system that can flex from a back 5 to a back 4 depending on whether we're in or out of possession, or how the game's going, I'd be tempted to say we need 5 CBs in the main squad, with Olagunju and Lennon in a 'development' squad, to be recalled as additional back-up in case of injury crisis/suspensions.

It's been mentioned before about the difference in style between L2 and L1, and I think Olagunju, given he's a ball-playing CB who apparently started as an attacking midfielder, might be better suited eventually to L1, so worth a punt for the future, but might need experience and toughening up. Sign him up then if he'll come, but send him out on loan to a national league side next year; could be the making of him like it was for Smith.

Brisley's earned a 1-year deal for me, and Legge apparently has another year in the bag, but as well as it's worked in this little run, I don't fancy having Legge and Brisley in the side together next year, especially with another year in Leon's legs. I'd keep Crookes, partly because his versatility makes him handy as cover in a smaller squad, but also because he looks decent in a back 3 covering in behind a LWB, plus he has the potential still to improve, but sign another left-footed CB as first choice, ideally one with some pace and/or in their mid-20s. So in 2021/22 the back 5 would be:

New LB (Benning ideally, with Monty still as cover)     New LCB/Crookes      Legge/Bris        Smith         Gibbo

with Olagunju on loan in the National League, Lennon at a Northern Prem team or similar

Then in 2022/23 (in L1 please?!):

New LB            New LCB/Crookes (if he does improve)        Olagunju/New commanding CB        Smith       Gibbo

Lennon on loan in National League, another youth promoted and out in lower non-league

So there's some continuity, but also new competition, lots of versatility, plenty of cover, and a proper succession plan/conveyer belt.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Would certainly make sense that we are at least speaking to him... didn’t he make the league team of the season under Flickers?

Would be a great addition.

Some people aren't keen on Flitcroft. Not sure why. He is a proper football person. And has good business knowledge. The lad from Mansfield will be decent.

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Tore us to bits for Crawley at their place despite our win a few years back. Was up against Wilson mind.

most players that play well against us come to vale park, usually, loose their pace, become injury prone and loose intrest. eg byron moore./etc.

A few thoughts after spending some time yesterday looking at the leading scorers in L1, L2 and the National.

Looking at the names in L1 - and the clubs - it would be very difficult to entice any of them to L2 despite our potential for next season unless, of course, we offered them the earth.

Looking at L2, I was surprised to see that Mullin is out of contract at Cambridge. Apparently, he was offered two years but would only accept one and he is bound to attract the attention of a lot of clubs. Again, though, I think it's doubtful that we could attract him unless it was silly money. The other potential candidates for me would be Oldham's Conor McAleny (17 in 38 games this season) who is also out of contract; Orient's Danny Johnson (a northern lad with 17 in 40) again out of contract in the summer; and Morecambe's leading scorer Carlos Mendez Gomes, classed as a winger, with 15 from 42, and out of contract in the summer (though it's rumoured Morecambe have an option for a second year).  

Looking at the National, two names stand out if you just look at the stats - not that I know much about them. One is Bromley's Michael Cheek with 22 from 37 and the other is Maidenhead's Danilo Orsi-Dadomo with 16 from 30 and the fewest minutes per goal in the National. No idea of their contractual status. 

Simple job this - just looking at the data but then there is a whole host of other factors to take into account including injuries, style of play, temperament and so on. That's of course why we have a Director of Football and I guess he and Clark already have a long if not a short list to consider. Maybe, like Rudgie, they have some hidden gems to unearth.

Looking forward to the outcome for next season's promotion push!

1 hour ago, hamilboy said:

Jay Matete if available only 20 years old but if available would do in our midfield could only get better with experience in a good team .

Agreed, looks decent, (if a little ill-disciplined, 11 yellows this season as well as last night's red). Apparently Fleetwood have option of another year, which you'd imagine they'd exercise, but no harm in asking as Grayson might not rate him as much as Barton did.

Replacement for Manny this summer is massive for me, almost as much as a new DM (to replace Joyce in a 20-man squad, or compete/share load with Joyce in squad of 22-25, depending on the outcome of all that nonsense).

5 hours ago, ValeCW said:

I see a lot of the National league. Boudewijn from Notts County would be good.

Not that sure we are looking at to many players who will be 29 this year,one or two maybe but i would think we are looking at 25 and unders

There will be a big focus on younger players

Archived