onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

Advert

2 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

Didn't do Notts County any good when they splashed the cash. Nothing like setting yourself up, all the fans will expect  promotion and anything else will be seen as failure. 

Be interesting to watch what happens. 

Well as a fan owned club it is in their own hands, they will only have themselves to blame. They seem to be fairly steady, with plenty of wheeler dealing over the last few years. 4 promotion places, not like the old 3rd North and South with 1 each.

19 hours ago, robf said:

Sorry, yes he was. I should have noticed my mistake by the fact the team photo I added was for that season!

However, the point remains - a big strapping defender, signed to get us up and did it.

Wayne C in 82/3 was similar wasn’t he Rob? I’m not going to try and spell his name. 

1 minute ago, CAVALIER said:

Wayne C in 82/3 was similar wasn’t he Rob? I’m not going to try and spell his name. 

Yep, got us up and then left. Wayne Cegielski (I think that's right) was great in 82-83 (think he swept the board at POTY didn't he) and considerably less so in 83-84.

Interesting piece here on Exeter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56845997
A strange statement to make with players agents listening in.

Its that time of the season where managers have to tread a fine line. Comments to the press need to give the fans the confidence to buy their season tickets and the existing players the confidence to renew their contracts. Sound too confident and you set yourself up for a fall and sound too rich and every agent will be aware and hold you to ransom for new player and renewal wages.

1 hour ago, wotsyobeef said:

A strange statement to make with players agents listening in.

Its that time of the season where managers have to tread a fine line. Comments to the press need to give the fans the confidence to buy their season tickets and the existing players the confidence to renew their contracts. Sound too confident and you set yourself up for a fall and sound too rich and every agent will be aware and hold you to ransom for new player and renewal wages.

I thought that. What a way to weaken your negotiating position before you even start. 

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge/Brisley

Montano

New midfielder

Conlon

Oyeleke replacement

Worrall

Rodney

New striker

We need a few first teamers and hopefully some better squad options than the likes of Whitehead, Mills and Cullen.

There seems a belief that there is an abundance of centrehalves out there better than the ones we currently have. I'm not fully convinced that is the case. Certainly from watching 43 games I haven't seen players against us who would be massive upgrades on Legge and Brisley in a back 3. If we are planning on a back 4 next season maybe Legge becomes more of a liability.  I suspect we will carry on playing 3 5 2 though.

10 minutes ago, JRC said:

There seems a belief that there is an abundance of centrehalves out there better than the ones we currently have. I'm not fully convinced that is the case. Certainly from watching 43 games I haven't seen players against us who would be massive upgrades on Legge and Brisley in a back 3. If we are planning on a back 4 next season maybe Legge becomes more of a liability.  I suspect we will carry on playing 3 5 2 though.

I thought Legge was finished but he's sure proven me wrong of late. Him, Smith and Brisley will always be worried by pace but the key to stopping that is to not keep a high line. Under Clarke our defending as a team on the whole has been outstanding. 

1 hour ago, JRC said:

For me, I'd keep Brisley and Legge and Smith's already under contract. If you do that then you're looking for a youngster or two who can challenge those three. 

At the moment it's Crookes and Olagunu.

So, rather than who's better than Legge, Smith and Brisley perhaps the questions should be is anyone better than the understudies?

1. Does Crookes have potential to get better and is he a good option with his versatility and left foot or can we get a better "upgrade" and let him go?

2. Olagunju is out of contract at Hudd and is powerful. Is he worth a punt on a permanent deal as a young un to develop or again is there an "upgrade" on him (either as a permanent or a loan move) available?

If you look at it that way then you'd have five players chasing three places in the side. Two veterans (Legge and Brisley), one coming to his peak age (Smith) plus a couple of promising youngsters. If you add in Michael Lennon from the youth team (who I suspect will get a pro contract and then be loaned out for experience) that should be enough cover and enough long-term potential to take over from the old guys when they do need to be let go.

Archived