onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

Advert

Don't really care where they've played before, this time around. We now have a setup in place, which means we will do our due diligence and sign players the right way. Not just the managers mates. I'm actually well and proper excited for this summer, as I'm sure we'll see many surprises both going out and coming in. Either way, I'm there August 7th, no matter where in the country (covid allowing), cheering on the boys!

1 hour ago, geoff1 said:

we need a midfielder who can collect a ball cleanly and then smack it 45yds over the keeper into the back of the net! oh wait a minute, weve got one,  superb stuff.😆😉☺️:drink:

Ask Aspin to find another, although some players take a couple of seasons to blossom.

5 hours ago, werstayinup said:

The biggest signing for me would be to get Conlon to sign a 2yr deal on top of his current 1yr one and build the team around him for a promotion push next season

Conlon, Worrall extension and Rodney has 2 years after this one, then commit to a holding midfielder and centre half who are decent league 2 players on 3 years each. Then get on with replacing the others we obviously need to replace.

Proper wingers, proper fullback to compliment Gibbo.

sounds like a lot but this off-season is the time to do it.

Given our defence is now watertight, I’m assuming we’ll be keeping both  Legge and Bris??
If your car started 2 times from 10 attempts , would you keep the same car or look to buy a new one? I know what I'd do, particularly the older the car is

Given our defence is now watertight, I’m assuming we’ll be keeping both  Legge and Bris??
I doubt he will keep any of them unless Legge has that clause. His job was to keep us up with the players we've got and he's done that but he wants a lot better quality and to play a lot better football than what we are now

With regards to the centre halves. I'm not sure I want a footballing centre half in League 2. 

People have mentioned Dean Glover , didn't he join when we were challenging for promotion out of League 1 ?

Purse was an example of a proper League 2 quality defender. 

I'm not necessarily saying that Legge and Brisley are the answer and Clarke will look at the whole picture rather than 8 games you'd hope. 

But the last thing I fancy at Stevenage away is a centre half dribbling out of the box like John Stones does . 

A League 2 centre half in the main is a row Z defender. 

Darren, I agree but a bit of talent wouldn’t go a miss. If we have one CB who is good at winning aerial challenges and one that can play on the ground it makes for a better CB partnership. As I said in a post about 18 months ago the lad we had on loan from Spurs, fantastic player, a different quality.

John Stones plays too much football and doesn’t have the quality to sustain it. He’ll have good periods and then he’ll keep getting caught in possession. I like to see football played but there are times when I just want the defenders to clear the ball. However once they’ve cleared it, I expect the forwards and midfielders to pressure the ball. There have been a couple of seasons recently where we’ve cleared it allowed the opposition to collect the ball and keep coming at us which eventually lead to us conceding. 

13 hours ago, grand prix pants said:

If we had those two as back ups behind a commanding, leading CB and Smith, that would be fantastic. Then Gibbo, a new RB and a versatile fullback who can cover either side. That's a promotion defence that.

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Darren, I agree but a bit of talent wouldn’t go a miss. If we have one CB who is good at winning aerial challenges and one that can play on the ground it makes for a better CB partnership. As I said in a post about 18 months ago the lad we had on loan from Spurs, fantastic player, a different quality.

Kevin Scott I believe. He was fantastic and completely turned our season around. But we were two divisions higher at the time and I am more inclined to agree with Darren that in League 2 a Row Z defender is required. Brisley is perfect for me and has been superb recently as he was last season when he got a run in the side.

And I have always wondered if there is actually more of a "footballer" in there than he shows.

I think there is more of a footballer in everyone in most League 2 squads, they just don't get chance to show it in the thick of the action. I miss watching the warm ups when you could see players doing unreal things with the ball in an idle moment just because they can. Those little circles where they pass the ball to each other with one touch for example

We have to battle our way out of L2, which the current squad with DC in charge from October would most likely have done. This coming season we need to introduce improvement  and replace tired legs to be ready for L1, so it is likely that more rotation will be required depending on who we are playing.  Competition for the shirts should be interesting.

51 minutes ago, 1 said:

If we had those two as back ups behind a commanding, leading CB and Smith, that would be fantastic. Then Gibbo, a new RB and a versatile fullback who can cover either side. That's a promotion defence that.

That sounds like Mitch Clark back again 

Archived