onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

2 hours ago, robf said:

I think the problem is if you are trying to cull the central midfield area is that four of the current crop (Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess and Taylor) are contracted beyond the summer. There's also the chance that Joyce, who has been a regular, has triggered a contract extension as he did last summer.

Obviously, we'd all want Conlon to stay but I would imagine the jury's out on the four others. But how do you get rid if they are under contract without doing loads of expensive contract pay-offs?

Pay offs may be the only way because at least two of them are not worth keeping. The cost of poor transfer dealing, sadly.

Advert

With the departure of Manny, it leaves with basically zero midfielders who can consistently progress the ball up the pitch.

I'd look at Otis Khan; good experience of the level, at a good age, last few moves haven't worked out for him but of undoubted quality. He's put up some good underlying numbers at Tranmere despite it not showing in up the goals + assists column.

Out of contract and the sort of creative player we'll need. 

EDIT: just googled him and there's a raft of League 1 clubs sniffing. Put this in the ignore pile. Apparently pulling up trees at wing-back and even Preston in the Championship are interested. 

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

OVF scout former Vale players.

Askey scouted former Macclesfield players.

Clarke and Flitcroft will likely open our scouting to the rest of the country. Or at the very least to former Bristol Rovers and Bury players 

DC and DF want to scour Europe,Scotland etc for talent and not just those close to

I think the problem is if you are trying to cull the central midfield area is that four of the current crop (Conlon, Whitehead, Burgess and Taylor) are contracted beyond the summer. There's also the chance that Joyce, who has been a regular, has triggered a contract extension as he did last summer.
Obviously, we'd all want Conlon to stay but I would imagine the jury's out on the four others. But how do you get rid if they are under contract without doing loads of expensive contract pay-offs?
I think DF will be thinking, if it's the only way and we really don't want most of our midfield (which I wouldn't be surprised at one bit), maybe it's worth Carol biting the bullet for 1 season and not including those players not wanted in the squad list. They will still get paid to the end of their contracts obviously, but the removal of the salary cap has made that a perfectly viable option, so long as Carol agrees with it and will/can fund it. Obvious danger with this is negative effect by those players on the dressing room

Guest Vale at home
1 hour ago, philmpv said:
5 hours ago, robf said:

I think DF will be thinking, if it's the only way and we really don't want most of our midfield (which I wouldn't be surprised at one bit), maybe it's worth Carol biting the bullet for 1 season and not including those players not wanted in the squad list. They will still get paid to the end of their contracts obviously, but the removal of the salary cap has made that a perfectly viable option, so long as Carol agrees with it and will/can fund it. Obvious danger with this is negative effect by those players on the dressing room

Guest Vale at home
Just now, Vale at home said:

We do hope not . Vale are doing so well at the moment. 

6 hours ago, robf said:

I wouldn't be getting rid of Burgess. I like him. And Taylor too. Burgess hasn't had much of a chance under Clarke yet, but I'm sure they will look at him in the last 5 games. Taylor looks disjointed, but it's been a funny season for him. A full pre-season with one club under his belt and I think we'll see the same player we had in 2019/2020.

I also like Joyce, but I do wonder if he fits the profile of player they're after. Perhaps they will keep him, should you be starting him every week though? They have to look for a successor for the holding role. That player is not currently in the squad.

Conlon, I think if a good offer comes in he will move on unless we can tie him down to a longer deal. I think he has a year to run on his contract, if he isn't willing to sign a new one then you should sell him for a good price whilst you can. 

Then Whitehead, they should find a way to move him on, even if it costs a few quid. I don't know where he fits in at all. Sometimes you just have to accept a mistake and move on.

42 minutes ago, stupers said:

I wouldn't be getting rid of Burgess. I like him. And Taylor too. Burgess hasn't had much of a chance under Clarke yet, but I'm sure they will look at him in the last 5 games. Taylor looks disjointed, but it's been a funny season for him. A full pre-season with one club under his belt and I think we'll see the same player we had in 2019/2020.

I also like Joyce, but I do wonder if he fits the profile of player they're after. Perhaps they will keep him, should you be starting him every week though? They have to look for a successor for the holding role. That player is not currently in the squad.

Conlon, I think if a good offer comes in he will move on unless we can tie him down to a longer deal. I think he has a year to run on his contract, if he isn't willing to sign a new one then you should sell him for a good price whilst you can. 

Then Whitehead, they should find a way to move him on, even if it costs a few quid. I don't know where he fits in at all. Sometimes you just have to accept a mistake and move on.

Tom Conlon is here for another year and is very happy at the moment. Long may it continue!

Listening to the Vale Tribute video to Lee Collins last night, it struck me what a group of 'big characters' Micky assembled in his time, as well as how close they were and how they're still mates. I remember reading how Griff would intimidate opposition creative players in the tunnel, and then put a reducer in early doors to minimise their involvement. We need that.

Obviously you had Micky himself, and then; Pope, McCombe, Yates, Griff, Richards, Collins, Dodds, Loft, Morsy, Owen and later on, Duffy, Purse, Hughes.

In American sports there's a massive focus on 'character'; I was watching a documentary about how the Indianapolis Colts scout college players before they turn professional. They have an interview with everyone they're interested in, conducted by an ex-military general to evaluate their mental toughness, resilience, commitment, and whether they fit the overarching culture of the existing players. 

They won't sign anyone if he doesn't fit the exact culture they're trying to create/maintain.

I'm not saying we go that far, and this is purely intuitive, but the current squad doesn't feel like it has many 'big characters'/leaders/insert cliche. Legge is definitely one. Conlon. Smith is a quieter version. I'm struggling after that, considering Pope is now peripheral. They're all decent lads it seems, hard-working and don't cause much fuss, but I've never quite good the vibe that the Micky teams would give off. 

To summarise; let's get some nasty sh!thouses in. Proper winners. Good managers know the value of character. I think Clarke is the same

18 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Tom Conlon is here for another year and is very happy at the moment. Long may it continue!

You may be suprised.....if hes only 1-year on his contract (but refuses to extend it by signing a new one) would now not be the best time to sell him while we have a chance of a reasonable fee ?

Maybe the above will be the view of the DoF....... selling for nothing in a years time doesnt make much sense in terms of bringing in money to fund replacements and hopefully improvements.

Of course its all speculation but beware length of contract to some degree drives the transfer fee

Conlon extension would be nice.

Got to give Taylor a full pre-season and a chance to prove himself - he’ll still have 3 years so no sense in paying off and he clearly has quality which could rekindle.

Pay off Burgess

Pay off Whithead

I say pay off, but who knows what that would cost, whether it would be financially viable, whether it would hit the playing budget and if so would we have enough left to attract better players. Quite an easy thing to suggest with none of the details, but hey ho.

Release Joyce

Pay off Amoo

Release Hurst

Release McKirdy

That’s 5/6 slots up for grabs.

Just now, 1 said:

Conlon extension would be nice.

Got to give Taylor a full pre-season and a chance to prove himself - he’ll still have 3 years so no sense in paying off and he clearly has quality which could rekindle.

Pay off Burgess

Pay off Whithead

I say pay off, but who knows what that would cost, whether it would be financially viable, whether it would hit the playing budget and if so would we have enough left to attract better players.

Release Joyce

Pay off Amoo

Release Hurst

Release McKirdy

That’s 5/6 slots up for grabs.

Agree with almost all of that, but why not give McKirdy a proper chance? Midfielders or wide players that can get past or close to double figures over a season, which he did at his previous club, aren't to be sniffed at. Clearly he's a bit of a loose cannon personality wise, but get him focused and there's a player there.

We can’t get lashed by Carlisle then blame it on Manny leaving. He played no positive role in the win on Saturday, and although he’s a great player he’s been one of lots of players who have been fantastic recently.

Archived