onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

On 11/04/2021 at 20:00, Danish Valiant said:

But it won't exactly be the good ones, will it 😉
It will be other L2 clubs equivalent to Mills or Whitehead. The good players will be the ones pushing up the wage bill, because they know they are in high demand! The best ones will go from having 1 or 2 offers, to maybe 4 or 5. Which means a bidding war, and the wage package just go up, up, up. The Vaughan/Doyle wages will become close to the norm for decent L2 players, and the good ones even more.

Yes...maybe...but you were arguing there would be fewer players available, not the quality of those!

Advert

We really need to have players available for thirty plus games a season! We really have signed some sick notes over the years. Ultimately if you cannot play thirty plus games you are dragging the club down, this is becoming more important with the reduced size of squads.

As said many times before if you look in the lower leagues the teams that get promoted have quite a number of players on thirty plus games. I would say that we are looking to be far more professional! If we want success then these decisions have to be made.

2 minutes ago, stupers said:

Do you reckon? I thought Flitcroft might be keen on him. He mentioned him when Flitcroft joined the club.

I didn't read anything into that. I thought he just threw a few names around of people involved at the club he already knew like Burgress, Pope and Garlick.

The fact Burgess has been poor all season, has barely feature in match day squads says it all really.Another one I think we will try and move on.

Both signed on for next season, and Whitehead too. I think we'll try and pay Whitehead off, and try and work with Burgess and Taylor.
Wouldn't fuss me if Burgess went. Had a good first season but had been powder puff this year when I've seen him play. Whitehead doesn't even enter my head anymore as an option in the middle, hope he's paid up. Taylor time will tell but he's gone down hill fast since coming back.

13 minutes ago, MBE said:

I didn't read anything into that. I thought he just threw a few names around of people involved at the club he already knew like Burgress, Pope and Garlick.

The fact Burgess has been poor all season, has barely feature in match day squads says it all really.Another one I think we will try and move on.

When Burgess and Taylor play together, there is a noticeable improvement in both players. However, how you do that when you have Conlon playing like he is, is anyone's guess. Conlon could also attract interest from higher up clubs, aside from the first 3/4 games under Clarke, he's been excellent. 

Joyce's contract is up at the end of the season, and he'll be 34 on opening day. Is he a guy you have sticking about? 

Centre midfield is going to be a very interesting area of change in the summer. 6 here today, possibly only one (Taylor) of these could be on the books come the first game.

21 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, stupers said:
Both signed on for next season, and Whitehead too. I think we'll try and pay Whitehead off, and try and work with Burgess and Taylor.

Wouldn't fuss me if Burgess went. Had a good first season but had been powder puff this year when I've seen him play. Whitehead doesn't even enter my head anymore as an option in the middle, hope he's paid up. Taylor time will tell but he's gone down hill fast since coming back.

First and foremost Taylor has to force his way into the 11.  Did OK when he came on in the last game but not sure it'll be enough to keep his place.  Short term that could depend on the Manny rumour but he's not a straight replacment for the longer term that's for sure.

54 minutes ago, stupers said:

When Burgess and Taylor play together, there is a noticeable improvement in both players. However, how you do that when you have Conlon playing like he is, is anyone's guess. Conlon could also attract interest from higher up clubs, aside from the first 3/4 games under Clarke, he's been excellent. 

Joyce's contract is up at the end of the season, and he'll be 34 on opening day. Is he a guy you have sticking about? 

Centre midfield is going to be a very interesting area of change in the summer. 6 here today, possibly only one (Taylor) of these could be on the books come the first game.

Both players bring a real good energy to the midfield but I think Conlon has brought that to his game over the last 12 months and has much better quality then either of them. The problem is when Burgess and Taylor do play together the midfield is really too lightweight, hence can only play in a midfield 3.

The manage is very clear he wants to play 2 up front so I expect Conlon plus A.N.Other in a 442 and a defensive minded player for a 3 man midfield. I think Taylor ( needs to prove it) as the option for 10 and with the potential to grow into the Conlon type of role.

Personally I wouldn't even think about retaining Joyce. I feel we need a bigger physical and more mobile presence to play in a 442.

I would be thinking 4x centre mid next season. Conlon (if we can keep him) and Taylor plus 2 new recruits.

Interesting summer and good we’ve said right you can have Manny but we want a small fee. That’s not something we’d usually have done probably without Flitcroft. Usually it would be ok he’s free agent in a month so take him now if you want.

Summer will be very interesting. Wonder if we are going to spend fairly big by our usual standards. Lots of investment and something had sold the job to Clarke.

Taylor was under performing at Scunthorpe, wasn't a regular in their first 11. When he first came to Vale took a while to impress, seemed well off the pace in last game when came on as sub.
As regards Joyce ,age against him. Would look at someone like Callum Guy who impressed when on loan at Vale and is in form. Tigerish, reminded me of Andy Porter.

Interesting summer and good we’ve said right you can have Manny but we want a small fee. That’s not something we’d usually have done probably without Flitcroft. Usually it would be ok he’s free agent in a month so take him now if you want.

Summer will be very interesting. Wonder if we are going to spend fairly big by our usual standards. Lots of investment and something had sold the job to Clarke.

Archived